Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-15 7:07 am

Post subject: Magic Commander Counter (iOS and Android)
AgePosted: 2019-Mar-20 8:24 am 

Hi guys,

I made a counter app for my buddy, and he suggested I share it with the community! It’s free and has some unique features that we haven't seen in the app stores yet. The most unique feature is that its session based: users host/join sessions to keep track of vitals across multiple devices. It allows unlimited devices to be connected and is cross-platform supported!

ImageImageImageImage

App Store listing:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/magic-commander-counter/id1450538726#?platform=iphone

Google Play Store listing:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=io.ionic.magic.commander.counter

Or search the stores yourself for "Magic Commander Counter," and look for the green icon.

Why online? My buddy requested this feature to be more strategic when he's checking vitals. When checking vitals on pen/paper, or traditional counter apps, his opponents could see who he was checking. Also, traditional counter apps starve for screen space because they want the device to be shared for the entire group. The session format allows individual users to decide what to display, and it allows the device to take advantage of more screen space!

The app has several features that you guys should check out! I believe it's the most flexible and non-prescriptive counter app out there. It has tablet support, and all mobile devices have landscape and portrait modes. I hope to make it even better after I gain some insight into how people use it. So please, if you try it out, post some feedback/suggestions. I'm accepting feature requests, and your ideas are extremely valuable.

My buddy requested Commander damage counters, but that can be toggled off :smile:

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Magic Commander Counter (iOS and Android)
AgePosted: 2019-Mar-26 5:30 am 

Looks neat. I'll play around with it and get my brother to help me do so next time we get together for EDH night.

Do you mind if I ask you various (and possibly a bunch of) questions regarding the mobile development? It's not something I've gotten into, but interested in. Most of my experience is just with developing websites so far.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Mar-26 11:25 am 

Looks interesting. My issue with phone life counters generally is that they suck the battery to death, so I usually turn down the brightness and put my phone in Airplane mode.

It doesn't appear as if this one will allow for part of that, so I'm REALLY curious how long the battery lasts with the app.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Apr-02 11:01 pm 

Hi moraff, I think that's a valid concern. I haven't ran it against any benchmarks, but I also haven't noticed it consuming much battery life. Try it out and let me know.

I'm working on a battery saver theme atm. I can post back when that's released. It might take a while because my schedule for the next few months is busy, but I have a list of features I need to get done before gencon.

I've had a few requests for "offline mode", so that's on my list of features. As a work around currently, you can use airplane mode and/or turn data off if you're the only person using it. Just create a session (requires connection) and then switch to airplane mode. No one will be able to see your changes while you're offline.

Carthain, feel free to ask me whatever! We can PM too if you want.

Offline Profile