Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-14 3:07 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: War of the Spark Spoiler Thread
AgePosted: 2019-Apr-01 5:54 am 

Niv-Mizzet Reborn
WUBRG
Legendary Creature--Dragon Avatar
6/6
Flying
When Niv-Mizzet Reborn enters the battlefield, reveal the top ten cards of your library. For each color pair, choose a card that's exactly those colors from among them. Put the chosen cards into your hand and the rest on the bottom of your library in a random order.

You'll probably want things like Cloudstone Curio to get best use of him.

Meanwhile, does this mean that he's going to be the new Living Guildpact, after all? Or will he set his sights higher, and seek to take the Ur-Dragon's place?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Apr-01 8:48 am 

An article has come up with Teyo and his signature as well.

https://www.player.one/mtg-planeswalker-reveal-teyo-verada-joins-war-spark-125075

Teyo, the Shieldmage
2W
5 Loyalty
You have Hexproof.
-2: Create a 0/3 white Wall creature with defender.

Teyo's Lightshield
2W
Creature - Illusion
0/3
When Teyo's Lightshield enters the battlefield, put a +1/+1 counter on target creature you control.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Apr-01 9:58 am 

I'm not super excited about the uncommon walkers. Maybe they'll be better than they look, at least for limited, but having no + ability is a bit of a downer, even if the static ability is nice.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Apr-01 8:42 pm 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
I'm not super excited about the uncommon walkers. Maybe they'll be better than they look, at least for limited, but having no + ability is a bit of a downer, even if the static ability is nice.

Well, if proliferate is back, that may be why WotC felt they could get away without plus abilities for the template.

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Apr-02 12:28 am 

Treamayne wrote:
Sid the Chicken wrote:

Well, if proliferate is back, that may be why WotC felt they could get away without plus abilities for the template.

Straight from the relevant article: https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/waging-war-spark-part-1-2019-04-01

Mark Rosewater wrote:
For our first uncommon planeswalkers, we limited them to just one ability. Some had a plus ability, meaning they got harder to kill each time they used their ability. Others got a minus ability, meaning that, barring outside help, you could only use their abilities a certain number of times. The final group got a static or triggered ability. For them, the loyalty was just a track of how much damage it took for your opponent to get rid of them.

The single plus abilities didn't play all that well. It required you to keep track of the loyalty, but it often didn't matter. Unless the opponent was attacking the planeswalker, the counter tracking was irrelevant, and once you had enough counters that attacking it was fruitless, players stopped even tracking the counters.

Negative loyalty abilities, in contrast, were very interesting. They basically functioned like a restriction on the number of uses you had available, something the opponent could mess with by attacking the planeswalker. (Next week, I'll get into the major thing we added to increase planeswalker loyalty—the return of proliferate.)

The static/triggered ability planeswalkers fell kind of in the middle. They didn't require much irrelevant tracking. Either your opponent was attacking the planeswalker and its loyalty mattered, or they weren't and there was nothing to track. The biggest problem with them was they didn't feel as planeswalker-y as the other versions. The lack of a loyalty ability made them feel like they had less agency. They played well though, essentially enchantments with a vulnerability to creatures.

After the playtest, we got rid of the single-plus-ability planeswalkers and played with the negative-loyalty planeswalkers and the static/triggered-ability ones. For rares, we tried them with having a static or triggered ability and two loyalty abilities, usually one positive and one negative. Mythic rares had a static or triggered ability and three abilities. This was the general approach we took when we handed off the file. Set Design got enough feedback that the single-ability planeswalkers felt a little underwhelming for planeswalkers, so they made the choice to have each of them have one static/triggered ability and one negative-loyalty ability.

I'm a big fan of plain old Greed. - intrepid
Greed is for pussies. Phyrexian Reclamation + Street Wraith -- twice the cost, four times the manliness. - Filth

Member of Project Every-Deck
Current EDH Decks
Mayael the Anima // Garza Sol, Plague Queen // Scion of the Ur-Dragon // Kresh the Bloodbraided // Rikku of Two Reflections // Kaalia of the Vast // Rafiq of the Many // Rakdos, Lord of Riots

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Apr-02 12:30 am 

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Greed is for pussies. Phyrexian Reclamation + Street Wraith -- twice the cost, four times the manliness. - Filth

Current EDH Decks
Mayael the Anima // Garza Sol, Plague Queen // Scion of the Ur-Dragon // Kresh the Bloodbraided // Rikku of Two Reflections // Kaalia of the Vast // Rafiq of the Many // Rakdos, Lord of Riots

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Apr-02 12:41 am 

Sid the Chicken wrote:

I think they are a great example of anti-power-creep. They are like enchantments that every color can destroy. I agree it's hard to get hyped for them, but I'm glad they have been printed.

Online Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Apr-02 1:25 am 

OK, THIS is just FREAKING hilarious! :lol: :facepalm:

Current EDH Decks

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Apr-02 3:28 am 

Everblight wrote:

I've been out of the loop story-wise for a long time. What's the deal with this PW who has no PW subtype?

Online Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Apr-02 3:42 am 

I have always liked walkers without + abilities and/or without ultimates.

Much harder to evaluate their strength both during deckbuilding and on the table. And much less annoying to have a lot of on the battlefield.

In my experience once there's a few PWs on the table a lot of the same questions get repeated - "so what's the ultimate do again?" "how much does it tick up?" "how much loyalty to ultimate?"

These won't be as bad for that.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Apr-02 4:51 am 

intreped wrote:
Everblight wrote:

I've been out of the loop story-wise for a long time. What's the deal with this PW who has no PW subtype?

I've seen a little speculation that this is Elspeth back from the dead, so to speak.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Apr-02 5:22 am 

Segrus wrote:
intreped wrote:
Everblight wrote:

I've seen a little speculation that this is Elspeth back from the dead, so to speak.

I kinda doubt it, what was spoiled was "Able to down the largest foes with a single stroke, The Wanderer is also cursed to make an effort not to planeswalk. Unlike other planeswalkers who are tired by the process of planeswalking, The Wanderer can planeswalk and then planeswalk again almost immediately - but only because if she doesn't focus she will be pulled at random from plane to plane."

That doesn't sound like Elspeth at all. Well, I guess they are both strong fighters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-enR1baRws

With perfect mana, reasonable removal, disruption, and card advantage, we're back to pitchforks and torches. And it's about to get worse for those who do not enjoy the game as Richard Garfield intended, playing as few win conditions as possible and prompting concession after all hopes (and spells) are lost. - Shaheen Soorani

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Apr-02 6:46 am 

I like the Kaya a LOT

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

The internet's great at making noise, and poor at operating pants. There's gonna be half-dressed mobs screeching half-assed arguments for the rest of the 21st century - Kemev

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Apr-02 7:18 am 

Inkeyes22 wrote:
I kinda doubt it, what was spoiled was "Able to down the largest foes with a single stroke, The Wanderer is also cursed to make an effort not to planeswalk. Unlike other planeswalkers who are tired by the process of planeswalking, The Wanderer can planeswalk and then planeswalk again almost immediately - but only because if she doesn't focus she will be pulled at random from plane to plane."

That doesn't sound like Elspeth at all. Well, I guess they are both strong fighters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-enR1baRws

Oh, I'm no expert. The color is correct and the whole warrior thing is a connection, and I don't think we know what happened to Elspeth yet...but I honestly don't know. I'm not entirely sure what the Underworld of Theros would do to a planeswalker.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Apr-02 7:55 am 

I'm unreasonably excited by Bolas' Citadel, Fblthp and Vivien and her Arkbow, and the new Nissa (last three for my 1 v1 build). Still hoping for some decent discard enablers for my new Xantcha deck, maybe Neheb will help with that.

Xantcha, Sleeper Agent - cEDH discard/attrition.
Pre-Modern:
A Denying Wind.
Duel Commander:
Nissa, Vastwoord Seer - Ramp ramp ramp into Ugin+Painter's Servant.
Kari Zev, Skyship Raider - Unbridled Aggro

Find me Saturdays at the Wizard's Tower - Ottawa and occasional Mondays at Westboro Legion for Duel Commander.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next