Login | Register


All times are UTC - 7 hours


It is currently 2019-Jun-24 5:27 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: I’ve been playing for a Decade+ and this is how I feel
AgePosted: 2019-May-24 3:35 pm 

Joined: 2019-Apr-29 9:42 pm
Age: Wyvern
sorry have been sorta feed up with these strawman arguments that have martilized from imagination instead an actual point of context.

I guess people are rubbed the wrong way when someone says, “we don’t play infinite’s and prefer the game without sol ring, Play as you like with that in mind”.

My ‘complaints’ are that my table does not see the good in mindslaver effects as they see it as an unfun and unhealthy part of the game. As I stated before that I understand and sympathize with the issue because it’s terrible to watch someone else play your turn, but these effects are only strong vs strong midrange/combo/control decks that don’t rely on creatures. That being the case it actually opens up a reason to play a more creature based deck.

So another ‘complaint’ are with my group and trying to get them to let effects be played even if they might not like it. Also to use strategies like killing the obvious control player and making them spend recourses so they don’t win the game so easily in the last game.

We have a people complaining about discard because of sire of insanity and mindslicer. Mostly because they try to resolve necropotance as fast as possible and now they basically can’t play the game it or the sire is removed. Now, being that no one care about their whining, we resolve sire and they don’t go for early game necropotance. This allows for the game to play in a less routine manner. What’s also important is the fact that we don’t have many creature based decks except for the ones I play. Our format is riddled with control/midrange and I’ve built the only two (one is vary new) low to the ground creature decks.

Part of the issue is this idea of everyone should die at the same time so we can all play in the next game. Which is fine in theory, but it removes playing aggro or agreesive decks in our format. If someone is playing a deck with all the answers and wrath’s it makes sense to remove them from the game even if it’s done “with a shrug and saying sorry this is what my deck does/needs to do to win.”

Go figure the person who plays toxic deluge and necropotance doesn’t want to get mindslavered eh?

_________________
Deck list Thraximundar midrange/control

Deck list Jund creature combo (not updated)


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I’ve been playing for a Decade+ and this is how I feel
AgePosted: 2019-May-25 3:34 am 
User avatar

Joined: 2014-Jul-28 8:30 am
Age: Dragon
Let's be honest, nobody really wants to be Mindslaver'd.

From what you report about your group, it sounds, to me at least, like nobody really likes the game the other members are playing, so you're just looking for ways to screw each other over. You can houseban and metagame all you want, but I don't think it's going to address the underlying issue of dissatisfaction with play styles and game outcomes that don't match up.

_________________
specter404 wrote:
Basically, when it comes to commander, I want you to stab me through the heart, not cut off my balls.

Gath Immortal wrote:
Twenty Kavus and a Dream is not a legacy deck.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I’ve been playing for a Decade+ and this is how I feel
AgePosted: 2019-May-25 6:16 am 

Joined: 2019-Apr-29 9:42 pm
Age: Wyvern
I personally want to see a more vibrant field of games and not the same one over and over.

The ‘members’ you speak of usually don’t have an issue other then two of them who think hand discard or winning the game off the back of one card is an issue. Most of the time, as it was said before in the post, it’s someone who doesn’t like to lose so when they feel unsatisfied it goes into why is sire of insanity fun?

Usually this person thinks, “why should aggro decks exist and why play a game where you target one player at a time to ultimately lose to the last opponent”.

The other person has an issue with cards that win the game when they didn’t even have to work for it like torment of hailfire or cards like it.

I just want mindslaver effects to be more accepted in our pool. Lesser effects like emrakul, the promised end or worst fears. I don’t see why an effect shouldn’t be played because someone is too inept to handle it or just because it’s good vs them.

It’s only a problem for two people out of all the people I play with the only issue is that I’ve played with these people for 10 years. I don’t want to stop playing with old friends.

How do I get them to understand that the game is more then just how they want to play it. Without going cEDH?

_________________
Deck list Thraximundar midrange/control

Deck list Jund creature combo (not updated)


Last edited by Thraximundar on 2019-May-31 4:04 am, edited 3 times in total.

Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I’ve been playing for a Decade+ and this is how I feel
AgePosted: 2019-May-25 7:31 am 
User avatar

Joined: 2009-Aug-20 7:49 pm
Age: Elder Dragon
Location: New Hampshire
Thraximundar wrote:
How do I get them to understand that the game is more then just how they want to play it.

At the end of the day IT ISN'T, at that's your issue. When you play in a tournament environment, you have to accept that anything that's not banned goes, and just adapt (or not play the tourney). Consideration of others experience is neither expected nor required. That is not so in an unsanctioned environment (even outside of EDH). If you want people to want to play with you, you have to accept a common expectation of what is and is not acceptable. That is The Social Contract. This also works in reverse, of course - you should have a voice in that discussion as well - but if 3 or 4 despise Mindslaver and its ilk, and you're the one guy that thinks it's great, you're probably the one that's going to have to bend on that point.

_________________
"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I’ve been playing for a Decade+ and this is how I feel
AgePosted: 2019-May-25 10:10 am 

Joined: 2019-Apr-29 9:42 pm
Age: Wyvern
Sid the Chicken wrote:
Thraximundar wrote:
How do I get them to understand that the game is more then just how they want to play it.

At the end of the day IT ISN'T, at that's your issue. When you play in a tournament environment, you have to accept that anything that's not banned goes, and just adapt (or not play the tourney). Consideration of others experience is neither expected nor required. That is not so in an unsanctioned environment (even outside of EDH). If you want people to want to play with you, you have to accept a common expectation of what is and is not acceptable. That is The Social Contract. This also works in reverse, of course - you should have a voice in that discussion as well - but if 3 or 4 despise Mindslaver and its ilk, and you're the one guy that thinks it's great, you're probably the one that's going to have to bend on that point.


Yea I’ve bent backwards to keep playing with my oldest friends. Like playing word of command over worst fears and playing avenger of zendkar over protein hulk. I just find it equally hard to allow people to play necropotance or omniscience without allowing the potential of having your turn taken over. I find mindslaver effects are best vs powerful control decks being that good hand disruption is few and far between in edh. Sire of insanity being maybe the best effect or cabal conditioning for hand disruption outside of taking their turn.

_________________
Deck list Thraximundar midrange/control

Deck list Jund creature combo (not updated)


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I’ve been playing for a Decade+ and this is how I feel
AgePosted: 2019-May-25 5:29 pm 

Joined: 2012-Apr-11 7:17 am
Age: Elder Dragon
Thraximundar wrote:
I guess people are rubbed the wrong way when someone says, “we don’t play infinite’s and prefer the game without sol ring, Play as you like with that in mind”.
Literally no one is rubbed the wrong way by that. It is continuously hilarious you accuse others of straw-men, then pull this.

Quote:
My ‘complaints’ are that my table does not see the good in mindslaver effects as they see it as an unfun and unhealthy part of the game. As I stated before that I understand and sympathize with the issue because it’s terrible to watch someone else play your turn, but these effects are only strong vs strong midrange/combo/control decks that don’t rely on creatures. That being the case it actually opens up a reason to play a more creature based deck.
People who play creature based decks get blown out by Mindslaver. One sac outlet, and its a one-sided board wipe.

Then you call any deck with good cards cEDH, and threaten anyone who goes infinite with just playing the rest of the game out without them. Is it really that hard to figure out why people here are saying stuff about your attitude?

I am sure you will just say I didnt read something you said, or call me a name or whatever. Try actually addressing the points be made?

Quote:
I just find it equally hard to allow people to play necropotance or omniscience without allowing the potential of having your turn taken over.
Or, you know, remove it? Like with a spell?

_________________
sir squab wrote:
My... history of buying Magic cards is probably a tapestry of bad financial decisions >_>
niheloim wrote:
No, I think he's right. I'm just all butt-hurt over prophet.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I’ve been playing for a Decade+ and this is how I feel
AgePosted: 2019-May-29 10:08 am 

Joined: 2019-Apr-29 9:42 pm
Age: Wyvern
MRHblue wrote:
“Literally no one is rubbed the wrong way by that. It is continuously hilarious you accuse others of straw-men, then pull this.”


literally doesn’t know what literally means unless it’s literally used in the most Illiterate way. Others must only mean you therefore I must only be making a strawman of you. Even though there are more people who have replied in this forum then you. Sorry you are not the center of my attention.

MRHblue wrote:
“People who play creature based decks get blown out by Mindslaver. One sac outlet, and its a one-sided board wipe. “


Not all and if that’s the best you can do it’s the least powerful take your turn I’ve ever seen. Most of the time people lose to lose x life effects or mill out by drawling their deck. If there is no way to do that you exile their commander and there is no way around that. Your commander is exiled which is maybe the best thing against many of these new commanders I don’t like with abilities from the command zone. The low to the ground creature decks don’t have any issue with emrakul or mindslaver effects. Also the more thematic your deck the less effective those effects appear to be.


MRHblue wrote:
“Then you call any deck with good cards cEDH, and threaten anyone who goes infinite with just playing the rest of the game out without them. Is it really that hard to figure out why people here are saying stuff about your attitude?”


Paints a picture of some amature player quite nicely eh? I guess you ignore the fact that I often play against tuned cEDH decks when I get the chance to have a full grasp on the meta outside of casual play. I don’t even know where this idea you have of me comes from because I haven’t said the sort.

MRHblue wrote:
“I am sure you will just say I didnt read something you said, or call me a name or whatever. Try actually addressing the points be made?”


I want examples and when I refute your examples you come up with more stuff outta thin air then I refute those examples. This sorta character assassination doesn’t fly with me. Ive been nothing but patient and polite while you’ve dragged me into the dirt on baseless claims without a single bit of context. Who is the unreasonable one here again? I guess somehow pointing out how someone is wrong and how I don’t believe something or have been misunderstood is name calling. Calling a strawman fallacy a strawman fallacy is name calling people. 2019 and we’ve broken another gear in how to communicate with one another.

MRHblue wrote:
“Or, you know, remove it? Like with a spell”


awww shucks let me get that krosan grip I play in my grixes list or my Jund list that runs no instants because it’s built with warp world and primal surge in mind.

Let me just try to return to dust it or use reclamation sage to remove it I’m sure it won’t be immediately countered. I’m sure just removing the consecrated spinx would fix the issue with the extra 6+ cards they have drawn. Don’t look further then the permanent in play because that would mean you need more then just removal...

I’m going to simplify it for you and make it very clear. Give me actual examples where I did any of the things you said I’ve done and we can clear it up, but maybe you should at the same time acknowledge anything you’ve said to misrepresent me. Let’s start with the accusation of me stating they have English as a second language. You seem to make that like I was insulting them when I was just stating a fact that they themselves pointed out twice. I want to see how many missteps you’ve made and try to justify it.

I personally think you’ve gone full sjw and think yourself the defender of someone, but at the end of the day your just screaming into the void. There is no one here you need to defend except maybe the post you so readily made to tear my character down.

From the rules read me,

“The following rules are arbitrary, absolute, and applied at the discretion of the moderators.

Rule #1: Don't be mean
Rule #2: Don't be stupid

Penalty for breaking either of these rules: Banning, for an arbitrary and/or indefinite amount of time

Warnings given: One. This one.

These rules may be updated in future.”

I’ll leave this right here^^^

_________________
Deck list Thraximundar midrange/control

Deck list Jund creature combo (not updated)


Last edited by Thraximundar on 2019-Jun-02 1:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I’ve been playing for a Decade+ and this is how I feel
AgePosted: 2019-May-29 11:00 am 

Joined: 2019-May-28 3:13 pm
Age: Wyvern
Thraximnuder I think you brought up a lot of great points and I think it's awesome that you took the time to lay out your arguments in a constructive way. There is a lot of elitism and pretentious attitude from some of the older users on this thread towards newer users and it's very uncalled for and immature. Keep up the good work!


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I’ve been playing for a Decade+ and this is how I feel
AgePosted: 2019-May-29 11:04 am 

Joined: 2012-Apr-11 7:17 am
Age: Elder Dragon
I guess we will just have to guess which person sickly is the alt for. I was on the RonB train, but now ...

_________________
sir squab wrote:
My... history of buying Magic cards is probably a tapestry of bad financial decisions >_>
niheloim wrote:
No, I think he's right. I'm just all butt-hurt over prophet.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I’ve been playing for a Decade+ and this is how I feel
AgePosted: 2019-May-29 12:36 pm 

Joined: 2016-Feb-13 2:14 pm
Age: Drake
Location: Orlando, Florida
Hey Thrax, your formatting is kinda hard to read. Instead of the >>>> (like you would on reddit), type [ quote ] to begin a quote, and [ /quote ] to end it. You'll need to remove the spaces of course. If you wanna have the quote be attributed, do it like [ quote="Sheldon" ] instead. It'll make your posts a lot easier to to follow. I'm on mobile, so I memorized most of the forum code I'd use.

Quote:
Example A


Sheldon wrote:
Example B


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I’ve been playing for a Decade+ and this is how I feel
AgePosted: 2019-May-30 12:04 am 

Joined: 2019-Apr-29 9:42 pm
Age: Wyvern
Marit Lage wrote:
Hey Thrax, your formatting is kinda hard to read. Instead of the >>>> (like you would on reddit), type [ quote ] to begin a quote, and [ /quote ] to end it. You'll need to remove the spaces of course. If you wanna have the quote be attributed, do it like [ quote="Sheldon" ] instead. It'll make your posts a lot easier to to follow. I'm on mobile, so I memorized most of the forum code I'd use.

Quote:
Example A


Sheldon wrote:
Example B


Yea I’ve started to try to use some of the tools of the forum, but I noticed that that the card tool was sorta broken. I think I’m going to edit my original post if I can figure out how to fix it and update it to keep up with the conversation for new readers so people don’t have to reread all the post. I figured a general edit on the first page would make it easier. I also was just using “quotations” to represent the other person and spacing it out. I’ve also been trying to keep my grammar/spelling up to par. Sometimes after two or three rereads I’ve cleared up most of the issues. My original post is prob the hardest to read and that’s why I want to edit it. I forgot to reply to someone once or twice as well and I feel it’s a bit too late but I might make an addendum in an attempt to rectify it.

Someone mentioned using trickbind to stop tigger abilities, which is does, but the issue I have with triggered abilities from the command zone is that they keep happening. The only thing in the game are torpor orb and other white torpor orb effects that stop it if it’s a creature coming into play causing the trigger to happen. The only spell I can think of that stops lots of triggers on the stack is summary dismissal. Notingy “trickbinds” triggers to keep them from going off over and over again save torpor orb. Activated abilities at least get pithing needle. Which is a card everyone can play and it doesn’t force one to have to build around it like torpor orb... also it sticks around more often then not because it affects one thing usually from one player.

I’m sure there was something else I’ve missed from the beginning, but maybe I can recover the discussion and focus it with just editing the first post.

_________________
Deck list Thraximundar midrange/control

Deck list Jund creature combo (not updated)


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I’ve been playing for a Decade+ and this is how I feel
AgePosted: 2019-May-30 12:28 am 
User avatar

Joined: 2016-Nov-27 2:39 pm
Age: Dragon
Thraximundar wrote:
Yea I’ve started to try to use some of the tools of the forum, but I noticed that that the card tool was sorta broken. I think I’m going to edit my original post if I can figure out how to fix it (...)


In your OP in the spots where you wrote [\card] you instead need to write [/card]. Forward slashes, not backslashes.

_________________
Decks: Chaos colored dragons, Mathas, the Instigator (politics and mayhem).
Beloved precons: Atraxa, Praetors' Voice; Saskia the Unyielding; Freyalise, Llanowar's Fury.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I’ve been playing for a Decade+ and this is how I feel
AgePosted: 2019-May-30 12:36 am 

Joined: 2019-Apr-29 9:42 pm
Age: Wyvern
Quote:
In your OP in the spots where you wrote [\card] you instead need to write [/card]. Forward slashes, not backslashes.


How do I add my decklist to my account/username. I have them on tappout, but would like them to look nice like they way you have them formatted.

I should prob edit them again because I don’t keep the digital copy up to date :/

_________________
Deck list Thraximundar midrange/control

Deck list Jund creature combo (not updated)


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I’ve been playing for a Decade+ and this is how I feel
AgePosted: 2019-May-30 1:18 am 
User avatar

Joined: 2012-Feb-07 4:15 pm
Age: Elder Dragon
Step 1: Post your deck in its own thread in the "decklist" forum.
Step 2: Go to the UCP, then Profile, then "Edit Signature"
Step 3: Put a link to your decklist thread in your signature.

PS: Bookmark this website, and all of your card tagging problems will be over.

_________________


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I’ve been playing for a Decade+ and this is how I feel
AgePosted: 2019-May-31 5:06 am 

Joined: 2019-Apr-29 9:42 pm
Age: Wyvern
I think I've made to correct edits and I'm wondering if I should separate the list into two different forums because they are two different list. Also I guess I need to use the URL function to link the topic from the other board.

Hopefully the first page is update to remain true to the discussions at hand. I've used examples that are used in the discussion on pages 2-3 to update the first OP. Hopefully this should make it easier to read for anyone who wants to get in on this action also I hope it clears up the intent of the conversation.

_________________
Deck list Thraximundar midrange/control

Deck list Jund creature combo (not updated)


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

All times are UTC - 7 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 31 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: