Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-14 6:06 am

Post subject: [SPOILERS] Endgame Fallout Speculation
AgePosted: 2019-May-05 12:19 pm 

I'm not sure the MCU can, or would, continue without an Iron Man equivalent; given Pepper Potts is the CEO of Stark Industries and was in a suit in the final battle, what do you think the chances are she takes over the mantle?

From a meta point of view, last I heard Gwennyth Paltrow was not on the best of terms with the studio so that may not be a thing, but in-universe it makes quite a bit of sense.

Also that way we have a black Captain America and a female Iron Man, which would be pretty cool (given I don't think Natalie Portman/Jane Foster will be coming back as Thor any time soon)

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

The internet's great at making noise, and poor at operating pants. There's gonna be half-dressed mobs screeching half-assed arguments for the rest of the 21st century - Kemev

Online Profile  

Post subject: Re: [SPOILERS] Endgame Fallout Speculation
AgePosted: 2019-May-05 12:26 pm 

The popular theory I've heard revolves around the kid from Iron Man 3. The one Stark hangs out with when he's lost in the middle of nowhere with busted armor. You see him in the funeral scene, although I know I didn't recognize him at first (they got the same actor, but he's WAY older now). Apparently in the comics there is a "Young Avengers" team, which includes Iron Lad, and also Cassie Lang (Ant-Man's kid) as "Stature", (basically a young female ant-man). Since Cassie is definitely a presence in the MCU, the theory is that the kid from Iron Man 3 will become Iron Lad.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-05 12:33 pm 

That makes a *lot* of sense actually
and would explain why the kid is even at the funeral.

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

The internet's great at making noise, and poor at operating pants. There's gonna be half-dressed mobs screeching half-assed arguments for the rest of the 21st century - Kemev

Online Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-05 5:54 pm 

Dear God no I hope they don't do that.

From a practical standpoint it doesn't make sense anyway. Tony is a kajillionaire super genius. Pepper has the bucks (sort of) but not the brains. And the kid had neither, since wiring a few circuits and making a potato gun won't cut it when you need to upgrade your nanotech Mark whatever number we are up to.

Last edited by cryogen on 2019-May-05 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-05 5:58 pm 

Just wanted to take a moment to say how awesome you all are.

I JUST saw Infinity War last night, and once I've seen Antman and the Wasp and Captain Marvel I'll be able to watch Endgame.

I came in here expecting to see some of the same spoilers I've already seen, and gotta say I'm happy to see this community stands above the others.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-05 6:01 pm 

moraff wrote:
Just wanted to take a moment to say how awesome you all are.

I JUST saw Infinity War last night, and once I've seen Antman and the Wasp and Captain Marvel I'll be able to watch Endgame.

I came in here expecting to see some of the same spoilers I've already seen, and gotta say I'm happy to see this community stands above the others.

Don't read the comment sections on Fox News. Some dipshit there spoiled endgame for me.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-05 6:36 pm 

Viperion wrote:
I'm not sure the MCU can, or would, continue without an Iron Man equivalent; given Pepper Potts is the CEO of Stark Industries and was in a suit in the final battle, what do you think the chances are she takes over the mantle?

From a meta point of view, last I heard Gwennyth Paltrow was not on the best of terms with the studio so that may not be a thing, but in-universe it makes quite a bit of sense.

Also that way we have a black Captain America and a female Iron Man, which would be pretty cool (given I don't think Natalie Portman/Jane Foster will be coming back as Thor any time soon)

The Iron Man equivalent is Captain Marvel now. I recall they were deliberately setting up the MCU to pass to a new generation of heroes (with younger actors and less explored characters) with Captain Marvel positioned at the center. She's not a billionaire, but that part wasn't important to being at the center of the Avengers.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-05 7:29 pm 

spacemonaut wrote:
The Iron Man equivalent is Captain Marvel now. I recall they were deliberately setting up the MCU to pass to a new generation of heroes (with younger actors and less explored characters) with Captain Marvel positioned at the center. She's not a billionaire, but that part wasn't important to being at the center of the MCU.

I meant what I said quite literally; the MCU needs an Iron Man. They have a new Captain America, they need an Iron Man too. Captain Marvel is the Superman of the MCU, not the Batman; she fills another role (and, technically, isn't really an Avenger anyway; as she quite rightly points out in Endgame, she has a whole galaxy to patrol and will often be off in some other random corner. (Which, from a script writers perspective, is a good and bad thing - except if they get lazy and just use her as a Deus Ex Machina every time there's a threat the regular Avengers can't handle.) They need a savvy, sassy, tech guy, and Iron Lad (please don't use that name....) might be the one. I agree that Pepper hasn't got the smarts, but with Banner and Strange.... and maaaaaaaaaybe Mr Fantastic now that particular buyout has been completed, they're well on their way to having the brains part covered.

It'll be interesting to see for sure.

Online Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-06 7:31 am 

Viperion wrote:
.... and maaaaaaaaaybe Mr Fantastic now that particular buyout has been completed, they're well on their way to having the brains part covered.

If they do the FF, I'm really, really hoping the go the Ultimate FF route for Reed Richard's character, leading to him becoming Maker. That twist was spectacular, and I'd love to see the viewing public who think they know everything about the FF lose their shit at that twist.

My Decks: Zombiepocalypse (Thraximundar) ♦ Thrun stands alone (voltron) ♦ Ashling the Burninator ♦ Doran beatdown (treefolk/plant tribal) ♦ Mine! (UB theft/clone) ♦ Vampire Beatdown (Edgar Markov) ♦ BW Enchantments (Daxos the Returned)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-06 8:02 am 

Willbender wrote:
Viperion wrote:
.... and maaaaaaaaaybe Mr Fantastic now that particular buyout has been completed, they're well on their way to having the brains part covered.

If they do the FF, I'm really, really hoping the go the Ultimate FF route for Reed Richard's character, leading to him becoming Maker. That twist was spectacular, and I'd love to see the viewing public who think they know everything about the FF lose their shit at that twist.

Oooh let's go full blown Ultimates! Hulk eats people, Hank Pym doesn't fully respect Janet, and Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch are... well, you know.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-06 8:24 am 

Personally I'm not a fan of much of the Ultimates Universe. Too grimdark for my comic book superhero sensibilities.

Online Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-06 1:05 pm 

The other route they could go is the new female Iron Man they introduced in the comics... I think her name is Iron Heart? I don't actually read comics, so I don't really know and I'm too lazy to look it up, but I'm pretty sure that's her name. I'm not sure quite how they'd work her in, since I think in the comics an older Tony mentors her, and obviously THAT isn't happening, although his daughter could have the smarts and resources necessary in a few more years...

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-08 8:13 am 

Also, the Spider Man: Far From Home trailer actually includes a line about the next Iron Man.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-08 8:58 am 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
Also, the Spider Man: Far From Home trailer actually includes a line about the next Iron Man.

It did? Go on....

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-08 9:14 am 

Yeah it said "The world needs an Iron Man" or something like that, said by Peter Parker to Happy, while there's some new tech revolving around Peter's arm. Neither Happy nor Peter fit the super-genius category either though.

Online Profile