[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
MTG Commander/Elder Dragon Highlander • View topic - Modern Horizons

Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2020-Jan-17 6:26 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Modern Horizons
AgePosted: 2019-May-21 2:18 pm 

My Decks: Zombiepocalypse (Thraximundar) ♦ Thrun stands alone (voltron) ♦ Ashling the Burninator ♦ Doran beatdown (treefolk/plant tribal) ♦ Mine! (UB theft/clone) ♦ Vampire Beatdown () ♦ BW Enchantments ()

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-21 5:39 pm 

So Urza wins with Paradox Engine, DEN and Palinchron or Staff of D and Metalworker, but so what? It's not as if you needed Urza to win with those cards. People who want that are already doing that. I think the RC's stance on that is "if you want to bore people into not playing you, go ahead but not at my table".

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-21 10:57 pm 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-22 1:09 am 

(!empty($user->lang['IMAGE'])) ? $user->lang['IMAGE'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'IMAGE')))
(!empty($user->lang['IMAGE'])) ? $user->lang['IMAGE'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'IMAGE')))

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-22 1:15 am 

It's incredibly mana intensive to set up and fragile as hell... but...

(!empty($user->lang['IMAGE'])) ? $user->lang['IMAGE'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'IMAGE')))(!empty($user->lang['IMAGE'])) ? $user->lang['IMAGE'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'IMAGE')))

SHOTGUNNING SLIVERS TO THE FIELD

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-22 1:16 am 

Hmmm, is there a place for Jund Superfriends (Jund Injustice Gang?) with this and ?

Depending on what he can fish out, I'm sure that there's some white-incorporating recursion deck that would be glad to incorporate him.

Now we wait to see if there's a distinct legendary Construct tribal leader (i.e. Morophon doesn't count).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-22 3:25 am 

Is this new creature academy as good or versatile as primeval titan. Probably not and I wouldn’t play cards for the specific purpose of trying to steal my oppoents Urza unless I’m artifact themed.

Is it broken? Maybe, but then again I want paradox engine to be banned so hopefully it sticks around instead of getting banned over engine.

I think it can be as good or better then the Tafari planswalker in cEDH. It’s a different card but can be built around to better or worst effects. Depending on if he’s out is how powerful your deck is. Without him I don’t think it’s an issue for cEDH, but that really isn’t my wheel house. :/

Wish the creature type and name was better, but making him a wizard night break him and doesn’t have anything to do with the lore of the card/character.

I’m happy they are printing a cycle set for free spells. It’s going to be sweet playing 4 free counter spells in my main deck. Also loved the new instant speed board wipes for target creature/token deck.

Idk we will see what RC says about all these powerful cards that have been pushed out.

Deck list Jund creature combo (not updated)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-22 4:18 am 

Regarding comparing Urza to Primeval Titan or Sylvan Primordial, it's a moot point. Primeval Titan produced a resource that is incredibly useful to every deck ever built and difficult to interact with. He was also a tutor, which made it so that manabases were built to be optimal for him even in decks that didn't run him, the most conspicuous example being the existence of Urborg/Coffers in literally any deck that had black in it. Sylvan Primordial was then a card that produced a similar resource, and killed all of your opponents' lands and annoying permanents en passant. And furthermore, killing/tucking/exiling either of them only had the effect of stopping further damage and did nothing to erase the damage that was done.

Urza is different in every way. The resources he produces are a lot easier to interact with, getting rid of him gets rid of a lot of his legacy (pun unintended), and his effect isn't even that good in many decks.

There's then the fact that I don't see him as being remotely problematic commander. His dependency on artifacts and his last ability's nonbo with counterspells makes him kind of a garbage MUC commander, and I don't see his potential as a combo commander being anything worse than what we already have to deal with. Even if I'm wrong and he does become a cEDH staple, he's not so much in the Braids/Erayo/Leovold territory of "ruin every game you show up in" as he would be in the Meren/Gitrog/Oloro camp of being as annoying or innocuous as he's built to be.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-22 10:59 am 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-22 1:04 pm 

So I guess rainbow mana is a theme in this set?

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-22 3:04 pm 

That and commanders with mana symbols everywhere except their casting cost.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-22 5:17 pm 

I'm happy to see a general consensus of "not ban worthy" I like the idea of the card and I'm working on a few deck ideas, Voltron, stax, go wide artifact creatures, and a recent idea from the forums construct tribal. I feel like it'd be a waste to ban such a cool flavor card so fresh out of the box, so to speak.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-22 10:57 pm 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-22 11:27 pm 

My Decks: Zombiepocalypse (Thraximundar) ♦ Thrun stands alone (voltron) ♦ Ashling the Burninator ♦ Doran beatdown (treefolk/plant tribal) ♦ Mine! (UB theft/clone) ♦ Vampire Beatdown () ♦ BW Enchantments ()

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-22 11:34 pm 

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next