Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-21 8:23 pm

Post subject: Re: This forum needs a massive update
AgePosted: 2019-Jun-02 5:40 am 

While your point is valid, nobody asked me to chip in (unlike MTGS, where Curse now owns my personal details). Perhaps we should start making a list of needs and nice-to-haves. I'm sure we get to the bottom of things. For instance, I don't see how Discord is in any way better than a forum, but a friend just pointed out to me that he can't get to a forum at work, but he can get Discord. Still don't see how/why, I'll just take his word for it.

Hopefully we don't end up concluding that writing down anything is worth doing these days because every two sentences have to be stretched into a ten minute YouTube video. Just for clicks and revenue.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-02 8:18 am 

Shabbaman wrote:
While your point is valid, nobody asked me to chip in (unlike MTGS, where Curse now owns my personal details). Perhaps we should start making a list of needs and nice-to-haves. I'm sure we get to the bottom of things. For instance, I don't see how Discord is in any way better than a forum, but a friend just pointed out to me that he can't get to a forum at work, but he can get Discord. Still don't see how/why, I'll just take his word for it.

Hopefully we don't end up concluding that writing down anything is worth doing these days because every two sentences have to be stretched into a ten minute YouTube video. Just for clicks and revenue.

Well I hate to be Mr. Pessimist here, but every site that you've every input personal information into owns those details (this site included). It's just a matter of what they choose to do with it and how much they will relinquish upon request.

AFAIK the RC have been pretty tight-lipped about who is funding this site, although it's probably small enough and basic enough that the out-of-pocket expense isn't great. I'm not the least bit tech savvy, but I would expect that bringing this site into the 21st century with features that people want is no small feat, either in terms of coding or cost (although if they were able to do the majority of building and maintenance that comes with launching a new site in house then they would save a bunch of money).

Either way, I wouldn't be surprised if OfficialCommanderSite2.0 comes with some amount of advertising, sponsors, or even a Patreon link.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-02 9:49 am 

When I did my kickstarter/board game I paid about $50 and got a website, I learned to change/update it myself and a friend of a friend keeps it online for free. It does more than this one, but it also has a very different purpose (getting people interested enough to jump on the KS bandwagon that ended almost 2 years ago.) So I know that it can be done pretty inexpensively, but you can also spend a lot of money getting all the cool gadgets.

If anybody cares, here is the link http://heroescove.com/

With perfect mana, reasonable removal, disruption, and card advantage, we're back to pitchforks and torches. And it's about to get worse for those who do not enjoy the game as Richard Garfield intended, playing as few win conditions as possible and prompting concession after all hopes (and spells) are lost. - Shaheen Soorani

Offline Profile