Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-14 9:39 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: M20 Spoiler discussion
AgePosted: 2019-Jun-18 6:12 am 

Gut reactions:

Kykar: On its surface, this looks like the spellslinger-y general that OG Narset was supposed to be. Thank Athreos it isn't hexproof.

Kaalia: Like others have said, the difference between old Kaalia (Swords it or Master of Cruelties kills you NOW) and this one (kill New Kaalia and she produces more value) is a matter of speed. I always liked OG Kaalia as a bridge between three iconic tribes for the three colors with iconic tribes. New Kaalia is perfect for that game plan.

Golos: ETB gets Cascading Cataracts or Crystal Quarry, right? And then, value until he dies.

Field of the Dead: G/B Zombies, or Grixis Amass has a nice new toy. Or, you know, in mono-brown.

I'm digging the new stuff. The Chandras (spoiled before) are neat, the symmetric tutor is a little collusive...I suppose I will see it in practice before I judge it too harshly.

Current Deck-building Project(s):

Izoni, Thousand Eyed (Elf Tribal-ish)
Building $15-25 "Intro to Commander" Decks for my Local LGS

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-18 7:14 am 

I dont understand all the love for Kykar. We have had Talrand and Locust God before, is the wedge the part people are fawning over?

No, I think he's right. I'm just all butt-hurt over prophet.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-18 7:23 am 

MRHblue wrote:
I dont understand all the love for Kykar. We have had Talrand and Locust God before, is the wedge the part people are fawning over?

Excluding partners, it becomes the sixth (!) possible Jeskai commander. And the five other options are rather narrow (Zedruu, Ruhan, Shu Yun) or hilariously oppressive (Numot, Narset).

For me, the hype (and hope) is that this one fits in neither of those two subsets.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-18 8:04 am 

MRHblue wrote:

What Jeyal said. Also the wedge part doesn't hurt with this type of general, because it opens up things like Soulfire Grand Master to the spell deck that were previously unavailable.

EDIT: I am officially riding the hype train on this set. When does it release?

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-18 8:09 am 

Re: Field of the Dead; this is also going in my K&T Landfall deck for obvious reasons. It might sneak into Gruul-Zhov tokens as well

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

The internet's great at making noise, and poor at operating pants. There's gonna be half-dressed mobs screeching half-assed arguments for the rest of the 21st century - Kemev

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-18 10:25 am 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
MRHblue wrote:

What Jeyal said. Also the wedge part doesn't hurt with this type of general, because it opens up things like Soulfire Grand Master to the spell deck that were previously unavailable.

EDIT: I am officially riding the hype train on this set. When does it release?

Exactly what Jeyal said *and* this. I've got a lot of Jeskai colored cards I want to use but none of the Jeskai commander options are practical for the kinds of things I want to do. At closest I can hope to fit them into nongreen or nonblack 4C decks.

Even the partner options leave something to be desired for Jeskai, but a couple of them are workable.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-18 10:33 am 

Wowsers

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

The internet's great at making noise, and poor at operating pants. There's gonna be half-dressed mobs screeching half-assed arguments for the rest of the 21st century - Kemev

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-19 1:43 am 

Well, how long before this one becomes a member of the "unplayable because everyone targets you" list?

Current Decks:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-19 1:46 am 

Holy shit balls! Yarok is NUTS. I haven't even gotten around to building Muldrotha yet, and now there's another BUG commander I simply MUST have?!

So, I'm guessing that, if we are in keeping with the trends, this guys is just going to be called BUGharmonicon from now on...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-19 1:53 am 

I have heard manharmonicon.

Riku: Pump Spells
Teneb: Life Manipulation
Kiki-Jiki: Big Red
Geth: Nim
Kodama of the North Tree: Hard Mode Voltron
Nin: Elementals
Sram: Jankstorm
Zur: Zombies
Rhys the Redeemed: Aura Voltron
Chandra, Fire of Kaladesh: Chandras
Ojutai, Soul of Winter: Tap Out Control
Alesha: Allies
Inalla: Treasures
Vial Smasher: Lava Axes
Atraxa: Counterless Keywords
Ludevic and Tymna: Curses

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-19 3:55 am 

spacemonaut wrote:
The Core & Commander article today on the mothership mentioned that the Abzan commander would be "go wide", which I super want to see. I've been floundering a bit trying to figure out how to make an Abzan go-wide deck, and maybe that'll help things click for me.

I wonder if the Abzan commander will be the often requested Abzan Knight commander?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-19 8:16 am 

Coco wrote:
I have heard manharmonicon.

Winner.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-19 10:05 am 

I feel Panharmonicon never gets blown up as much as it should. Having it in the opponent's command zone is gonna be rough at times.

This one effect is even better than OG PanHam, because it triggers landfall twice...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-19 11:32 am 

specter404 wrote:
Core set seems interesting, if it's wedge themed them my first question is, what is the fixing going to be?

Question asked and answered, the enemy temples have been spoiled. Nice lands to have for edh, I have used most of mine.

Playing Online:
Noyan Darr & Sedris Zombie Guy

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-20 12:56 am 

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next