[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
MTG Commander/Elder Dragon Highlander • View topic - Unique Mana Costs

Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2020-Jan-18 7:45 am

Post subject: Unique Mana Costs
AgePosted: 2010-Oct-13 12:22 pm 

This is just for keeping record of all cards with a mana cost not seen on any other card. I have been compiling and updating it for a long time by hand, so there is room for error but I think it is presently completely accurate. If you see anything that looks like an error, please let me know.

Here is a link to a more visually pleasing presentation of the cards, with statistics on distribution of colors/CMCs.

I have chosen to sort them here into 3 categories, and within each category they are sorted first by increasing mana cost, with generic mana being considered a lighter cost than other types and {x} ignored. In the case of split cards, I am considering each half to have its own mana cost and ignoring the combined cost, even if it has Fuse.

Scars of Mirrodin Update: Only change over the last two sets is that meant no longer makes the list.

Mirrodin Besieged Update: Same total number of cards as before. came off the list as it now shares with , and took its place.

Commander+New Phyrexia Update: 16 new cards to add to the list from Phyrexian mana alone. I've grouped them with hybrid mana for the purpose of this thread. removed from the list of monocolor. Surprisingly, Commander actually took off almost as many cards as it added. , , , all got removed thanks to new legendary wedge creatures. The only new addition in the form of "real" monocolor this update is . With all the black fatties and mega-sorceries ever printed, I'm a little surprised there wasn't already one at this cost, but that's why I keep running the thread.

M12+Innistrad+Dark Ascension Update: The only change is the new addition of . Maelstrom Wanderer has been spoiled at this point, but I'll wait to add it to the list until it's playable.

Avacyn Restored+Planechase 2012 Update: -, -, -, +, +, +, +, +, +

M13 Update: added and that's it. I almost feel like I ought to have waited because the Return to Ravnica spoilers reveal huge updates to come.

Return to Ravnica Update: 1 new monocolored added, 4 new multicolor added, 1 new hybrid added. The biggest change this time around was all the cards taken off (7 multicolor and 8 hybrid). I'll list them here for record: -, -, -, -, -, -, -, -, -, -, -, -, -, -, -

Gatecrash update: -, -, -, -, -, -, -, -. A few came off, a few were added. Most of the numbers stayed about the same.

Dragon's Maze update: -, -. 7 new additions, all in traditional multicolor.

Theros+Born of the Gods update: +, +. No eliminations.

Journey Into Nyx+M15+Khans of Tarkir update: -, -, -, -, -, -, -, -, -, -, -, -, -, +, +, +, +, +, +, +

Fate Reforged+Dragons of Tarkir+Origins update: -, -, +

Batttle for Zendikar+Commander 2015+Oath of the Gatewatch+Shadows Over Innistrad+Eldritch Moon update: -, -, +, +, +, +, +, +, +, +, +

Kaladesh + Commander 2016 Update: -, -, -, -, -, -, +, +

Aether Revolt + Amonkhet + Hour of Devastation Update: +, +

Ixalan + Rivals of Ixalan + Dominaria + Commander 2017 + Battlebond + M19 Update: -, -, -, -, -, -, +, +, +, +, +, +

Commander 2018 + Guilds of Ravnica Update: -, -, -, -, -, -, -, -, -, +, +, +, +, +, +, +, +

Ravnica Allegiance Update: -, -, -, -, -, -, -, -, -, +

War of the Spark + Modern Horizons + M20 Update: -, -, -, -, +, +, +, +, +, +, +, +, +, +

Last edited by intreped on 2016-Aug-16 3:32 am, edited 24 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Unique Mana Costs
AgePosted: 2010-Oct-13 4:52 pm 

You forgot .

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Oct-13 5:35 pm 

What is the point of this thread?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Oct-13 9:37 pm 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Oct-13 11:14 pm 

You forgot (or, I guess, ignored) and .
And nixes (unless you're still ignoring them).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Oct-14 10:30 am 

What sets are you calculating? Just vintage legal sets? (so, no Un- sets or special promo's?)

'cause if that's it, I have a database of such cards, and should be able to run a query or two to find a definite list for you.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Oct-14 11:38 am 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Oct-14 7:01 pm 

Okay, here's what I found:

You have listed Vitalizing Cascade - but Supply (Supply/Demand) has the same casting cost (XGW).

As far as I can tell, you are missing:

=> WUU
=> 7RR
=> 4WWGG
=> 3RGG
=> 3GGWW
=> WUUB
=> 4BBBB
=> UUG

Hope that helps ^_^

Ends up with a total of 232 cards with unique casting costs. I wonder what kind of EDH deck you could make with this as a restriction ^_^

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Oct-14 7:17 pm 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Oct-14 8:24 pm 

Ok. Zodiac Dragon: Apparently my database doesn't have portal cards in it (unless they have been reprinted). I should work on that.

As for missing the others ... weird.

I see -- Gabriel Angelfire and Lady Caleria have (on their physical cards) a different mana cost .. the G and W mana symbols are in a different order than on Novablast Wurm. And the database put it in as it is written.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Oct-14 10:16 pm 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Oct-15 5:56 am 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Mar-10 10:47 am 

Bump for MBS update.

Offline Profile