[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
MTG Commander/Elder Dragon Highlander • View topic - Having Your Voice Heard

Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2020-Jan-17 9:15 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 215 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Having Your Voice Heard
AgePosted: 2019-Jul-13 3:05 am 

I'm not sure hearing our voices should even be a concern of the RC. The only way Commander is going to continue to thrive is if it has something of an ivory tower element to its stewardship. The day Commander's governance gets opened up to the unwashed masses is the day it begins to die. The RC should continue to run Commander like they created it, because that's worked and continues to work. Don't fix what isn't broken. If people are complaining, they're playing. You don't need players agreeing with your decisions. You don't need players feeling listened to. You need players enjoying Commander, and ideally, you need more players enjoying Commander tomorrow than today. For the most part, that's probably the case. I used to take regular opportunities to try and convince the RC to unban liberally, at the very least, all the low-hanging fruit. I'd rather see a dozen new bans than see Commander go democratic. Stay the course. I didn't pick up Commander to feel listened to. I picked up Commander because I wanted to go where it was heading. Don't let the passengers change the destination.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-13 7:02 am 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-13 9:15 am 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-13 10:11 am 

The question I have in response to these points, which are very fine points, is what do you propose? Given that this is a casual format that encourages players to tailor it to their own play groups, how do they solve this? Because if the next rules update they banned another 50cards in order to codify the rules to their preferred play sstylethen how many players do you think would up and quit the format altogether? Do you think Wizards would lose faith in them and stop supporting the format?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-13 11:17 am 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-13 11:59 am 

Phone postin' and I don't feel like wrangling with nested quotes

Cryo: the likely unsolvable problem is that as much as EDH maybe be intended as a format that's pliable at the local level, it's largely not. For a whole heck of a lot of people the rules are the rules, period.

Uktabi Kong: you spent more time and effort explaining Iona's place in the format in a post for these lonely forums than Sheldon did in his article expressly written to better elucidate the reasoning for her ban and that makes me sad

Also, it makes me sad that in a thread expressly established to discuss feelings of disconnection in the format the simplest answer is that, as you say, the CAG is worth more. We can say as much as we want as often as we want but if we're not the right people it doesn't matter.

It's how a lot of the world works, truth be told. But it does make me wonder what kinds of feedback the RC were expecting here. Some of us feel silent because we're not important enough for anyone to listen, and it's simple as that.

I'm not mad that the CAG got through. I'm mystified that this update occured the way it did and the powers that be find themselves stunned by the backlash.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-13 1:16 pm 
EDH Rules Committee

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-13 3:42 pm 

(!empty($user->lang['IMAGE'])) ? $user->lang['IMAGE'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'IMAGE')))(!empty($user->lang['IMAGE'])) ? $user->lang['IMAGE'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'IMAGE')))
(!empty($user->lang['IMAGE'])) ? $user->lang['IMAGE'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'IMAGE')))(!empty($user->lang['IMAGE'])) ? $user->lang['IMAGE'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'IMAGE')))

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-13 5:28 pm 

In every interview I have ever heard, the rules committee comes off as extremely dismissive of dissenting views. Rather than have a discussion they reference rule 0 and end the conversation. Rule 0 is not the answer to people who disagree.

You have expressed your concern about echo chambers, but then proudly proclaim that the committee is in lockstep with regard to your views on the rules. There is definitely a problem when you don't see the disconnect.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-13 5:29 pm 

There is also the matter of the RC totally avoiding reddit because it has been deemed negative. I cant help but wonder if that isnt a self fulfilling prophecy. When you totally ignore people, you can't expect them to support you the way people here do.

Not to mention, we are talking about the website that Wotc has chosen to talk to the community, but you actively ignore it.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-13 7:06 pm 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-13 11:16 pm 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-14 12:14 am 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-14 1:29 am 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-14 3:58 am 

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 215 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 15  Next