Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-16 10:20 am

Post subject: I am 100% PISSED OFF right now
AgePosted: 2019-Jul-12 8:42 am 

For those of you who aren't friends with Sheldon on Facebook or don't follow him on there;

He has received a DEATH THREAT from a Magic player over the recent bannings.

Just let that sink in for a second.

No, really.

Think about it.

This is a FUCKING game. Get some FUCKING PERSPECTIVE.

This post has been brewing for some time now, actually. There have been a lot of people joining this forum recently whose posting style, to put it mildly, is pure childishness.

From the multitude of new accounts that begin with the attitude "I know better than all of you" to the accounts that "know" that the people on the Rules Committee are the ones designing the annual Commander products, to the ones posting decklists with banned cards in them, to the ones that immediately start insulting anyone and everyone that has a dissenting opinion. It's really tiring, and lately I've actually been dreading reading this forum because of the sheer number of posters lately that seem to be here only to be combative and argumentative.

I think that's a trend over the internet as a whole lately, but this place (and a few others I'm on) - up until recently - has been one of the few places where you can still have a civil discussion. That's disappearing, and that's a real shame.

As much as I want to hear other people's opinions and points of view, the manner in which these posts are being made is set up from the start to be argumentative and antagonistic, which of course provoke a similar response, which then spirals into reddit-level squabbles. (I'm as guilty of this as many others, unfortunately).

Let's be nice to each other, guys. Please?

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

The internet's great at making noise, and poor at operating pants. There's gonna be half-dressed mobs screeching half-assed arguments for the rest of the 21st century - Kemev

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: I am 100% PISSED OFF right now
AgePosted: 2019-Jul-12 9:01 am 

100% this. Chill the fuck out.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-12 9:58 am 

I don't know what to say really, that's absolutely terrible and unacceptable.

I notice the hostility you're describing too. I try to be friendly and I usually only post when I can be friendly. The rules subforum seems to always have a hostile argument going on somewhere, or someone being a jerk to someone else, and that's not great. Very often there's nothing to say—it's either just leave again to check back another day or break out the popcorn and watch in morbid fascination as the argument unfolds. I can't help but feel it's setting a bad example for the rest of the EDH community. Even if that were less of a thing I don't know if it would stop the kind of person who would send a death threat, but it would sure make these forums a bit nicer to not have that going on so much.

Last edited by spacemonaut on 2019-Jul-12 10:04 am, edited 4 times in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-12 10:02 am 

Viperion wrote:
For those of you who aren't friends with Sheldon on Facebook or don't follow him on there;

He has received a DEATH THREAT from a Magic player over the recent bannings.

How utterly unacceptable in every way.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-12 10:44 am 

Unacceptable, pure and simple. I agree with your remarks and sentiment. I think there have been more controversial bans/rules updates than the last one, so it seems really out of place to me to see so much backlash to this latest one. Lets be civil guys, it's the reason I like this forum, great discussions are made here without devolving into petty arguments.

Retired:
Krenko, Mob Boss (Goblins)
Zedruu the Christmas Goat (group hug)
Ramses Overdark (Assassin Deck)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-12 11:05 am 

I'd like to see any players making deaths threats to anybody in the community to have their DCI number banned and any Magic Online assets revoked. Zero tolerance.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-12 11:12 am 

Segrus wrote:
I'd like to see any players making deaths threats to anybody in the community to have their DCI number banned and any Magic Online assets revoked. Zero tolerance.

That and arrested.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-12 11:53 am 

spacemonaut wrote:
Segrus wrote:

That and arrested.

I wouldn't be opposed to it.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-12 1:22 pm 
EDH Rules Committee

Thanks for the support, a grain of which is worth a mountain of salt.

We live in a world in which negative emotions can get amplified in the echo chambers in which they're allowed to thrive, which is why you might notice the RC avoiding reddit. I mentioned the incident to someone, they reached out to the DCI, who reached out to me. I suspect the person will not be playing sanctioned Magic for a long time.

Having known and lived with real and credible threats to my life, this idiot isn't one of them.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-12 1:37 pm 

Honestly, to be blunt, I think it's a problem of EDH's interaction with social media. Admittedly it's by no means exclusively a problem of EDH/MTG, but the fact that it is a format that differs in design from the majority of other Magic games does exacerbate all of the issues.

So much of the content creators on platforms like YouTube and Facebook and whatnot are, to put it bluntly, offering little more than a sophisticated type of clickbait. The claims they make are as bold and assertive as possible, the level of confidence in each assertion is unrelated to actual knowledge or understanding, and of course maximum edginess is required to get dem views. Worst of all, the overall tone is always that of constantly winking and nudging at the reader/audience, so that disingenuous jabs, jokes, and honest mistakes all look exactly the same and there's always a degree of plausible deniability any time they're called out on bullshit.

You then have people who watch/read this stuff a bunch, and then go around parroting the same arguments and the same style. And without the charisma of the content creator, nor the (reasonable) expectation that most of your audience will more or less agree with the majority of what you have to say, that kind of style just comes off as either arrogant dickheadedness, ignorance, or oftentimes both.

To steal an idea from someone far outside the Magic community, I'm sorely tempted to make what I'd call a PRATT list. That is a list of "Points Refuted A Thousand Times". Just make a list of the 20+ constantly repeating arguments that are complete and total bull and make reading it a part of the account creation process or something.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-12 1:45 pm 

Uktabi_Kong wrote:
Just make a list of the 20+ constantly repeating arguments that are complete and total bull and make reading it a part of the account creation process or something.

While I love the idea of not needing to read through another nonsensical complaint I have already seen, I strongly value the ease of setting up an account here. Particularly in light of the recent thread which brought several voices from reddit, I am pleasantly surprised to see many of them containing useful feedback. Making ourselves any more sheltered from the 'outside' seems unnecessary and we would be risking turning away valuable perspectives.

But maybe I'm being too worried about turning people away when the 'good' ones would all be perfectly willing to go through the effort of reading such a list before posting anyway.
Sheldon wrote:
this idiot isn't one of them.

I'm glad, but even still it's an embarrassment to our community that we are fostering this behavior in any way.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-12 1:49 pm 

What you've said there, Kong, is exactly what I've been trying and failing to explain for the longest time. Thank you. Especially this:

Uktabi_Kong wrote:
the level of confidence in each assertion is unrelated to actual knowledge or understanding,

Seems to be the norm these days. People (generalising, obviously) seem to be deliberately uninterested in actually doing any research or ensuring that what they're saying is factual, and I think out of everything, that's the thing that annoys me the most. The number of posts/threads/videos I've seen lately that are just based on incorrect "facts" or faulty logic is astounding, and you can't correct them because the posters know they're right even when hard evidence is provided to the contrary. It's immensely frustrating.

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

The internet's great at making noise, and poor at operating pants. There's gonna be half-dressed mobs screeching half-assed arguments for the rest of the 21st century - Kemev

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-12 7:06 pm 

I'm late to seeing this, but I am so sorry.

Wow.

Sheldon, you and the RC have given me and my playgroup hours of pure enjoyment and fun with your creation and curation of this format. Thank you so much!

And, for what it's worth, though I wanted to run PEngine in my Urza deck, I know it made me a bad person... You saved me from myself. :oops:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-14 9:39 am 

Sheldon wrote:
Thanks for the support, a grain of which is worth a mountain of salt.

So when are we forming the protective posse around Sheldon?
Anyone comes up to him saying "YOU SHOULD UNBAN/BAN <CARDNAME>" or "THE COUNCIL IS RUINING THE FORMAT" gets a Chaos Orb to the face? Hell, I'll carry a Colossus Hammer to Ban Hammer the little bastards.

http://mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?p=233412#p233412

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-14 10:37 am 

Could we not? I know* you're just poking fun, but there are plenty of people who might take you seriously.

*well, "know". You are joking, right?

Offline Profile