Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-17 6:14 pm

Post subject: And the next set is..... Eldraine!
AgePosted: 2019-Jul-18 7:18 am 

Faeries, for certain. Not much else known at this stage. MaRo is doing a talk at ComicCon on Saturday.

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

The internet's great at making noise, and poor at operating pants. There's gonna be half-dressed mobs screeching half-assed arguments for the rest of the 21st century - Kemev

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: And the next set is..... Eldraine!
AgePosted: 2019-Jul-18 7:30 am 

It is not Lorwyn, just in case people were curious.

With perfect mana, reasonable removal, disruption, and card advantage, we're back to pitchforks and torches. And it's about to get worse for those who do not enjoy the game as Richard Garfield intended, playing as few win conditions as possible and prompting concession after all hopes (and spells) are lost. - Shaheen Soorani

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-18 7:45 am 

Esper faries, and other shard based tribes?

No, I think he's right. I'm just all butt-hurt over prophet.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-18 8:38 am 

Inkeyes22 wrote:
It is not Lorwyn, just in case people were curious.

Not Lorwyn? Shadowmoor it is then!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-18 3:59 pm 

If there isn't some Eldrazi screwing things up I'll be thoroughly disappointed.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-18 4:25 pm 

Shabbaman wrote:

Welp.

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

The internet's great at making noise, and poor at operating pants. There's gonna be half-dressed mobs screeching half-assed arguments for the rest of the 21st century - Kemev

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-20 3:31 pm 

Viperion wrote:
Shabbaman wrote:

Welp.

Yes, that is what I would say if someone saw right through my cheap ploy.

Anyway, Wizards is changing packaging. Read all about it here: https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/a ... 2019-07-20

I don't get all of it, but from what I can make of it some product will contain cards that aren't in (draft) boosters. Those cards will be...in Brawl precons.

While Brawl precons might be great for us, the EDH players, the limited product might end up very multiplayer relevant and thus very expensive. Or, you know, the next Flusterstorm.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-20 9:36 pm 

Well this - specifically the “Collector Boosters” - feels like a naked money grab. I think that for standard play the “Theme Boosters” could help newer players to focus their collections, though they’ll be an inventory nightmare as whatever color or theme is weakest clogs the shelves. Honestly, tripling the number of core products per set seems tough on LGSs in general, as space is often at a premium.

Brawl Precons will be great for that format, though I kind of feel like wizards missed the boat on the window when such product would have an audience. How much is Brawl even played anymore?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-20 9:51 pm 

Boy people are so quick to complain when they hear about changes aren’t they? I’m just excited that after all these years WOTC and R&D are still willing and able to take risks and keep things innovative. That’s why Magic has survived so long and why it will probably outlive most other TCGs. They figured out a way to make opening booster packs more exciting for a wider variety of players. What an awesome idea from an awesome company.

Shabbaman wrote:
I don't get all of it, but from what I can make of it some product will contain cards that aren't in (draft) boosters. Those cards will be...in Brawl precons.

This is a terribly misleading summary and makes it seem like you didn’t even bother reading the whole article.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-21 1:58 am 

I read the article and was confused about the 7 mechanically unique cards per brawl deck as well. It does say they are in collector's packs, but are they standard legal and not in draft packs? It could make sense that these cards are good for a more casual game that goes longer so drafters don't complain about opening brawl cards.

Collector packs are not a cash grab. They are exactly what they say they are. They make it easier for people who collect cool versions of things to get them without disrupting other parts of the game-at least in theory. The content is still otherwise available in other, more common forms.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-21 2:02 am 

Please enlighten me, perhaps we didn't read the same article. I honestly don't know what else "7 new, mechanically unique cards per deck" would mean but that there are cards in that deck that you won't find in a regular booster. Hence "unique".

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-21 2:37 am 

The brawl cards are almost certainly going to be just like planeswalker deck cards: standard legal multiplayer-oriented cards found exclusively in an additional precon product.

Speculation follows: they'lll be in a dedicated multiplayer product so they'll be allowed to reference concepts like teams and partner and the command zone. They will almost certainly be at a lower power level than booster cards, at least when used in 1v1 play, the same way planeswalker deck commons are not generally desirable for ordinary constructed play. That's not to say they'll be bad — some will be desirable in brawl or commander because they'll have effects that get more powerful at 3+ players or because they have command zone or team or partner interactions. Consider more friend/foe cards, more "having your commander out matters" cards, etc.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-21 2:56 am 

OldManJenkins wrote:
Boy people are so quick to complain when they hear about changes aren’t they? I’m just excited that after all these years WOTC and R&D are still willing and able to take risks and keep things innovative. That’s why Magic has survived so long and why it will probably outlive most other TCGs. They figured out a way to make opening booster packs more exciting for a wider variety of players. What an awesome idea from an awesome company.

Shabbaman wrote:

This is a terribly misleading summary and makes it seem like you didn’t even bother reading the whole article.

But the thing is, these "collector packs" are nothing more than rebranded, slightly different versions of those terrible all foil Alara block packs from 10+ years ago. It's not new, it's not really all that exciting (in my opinion) and the only positive thing is that it seems like a way to release mythic edition stuff without replicating the overselling debacle from War of the Spark.

Gath Immortal wrote:
Twenty Kavus and a Dream is not a legacy deck.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-21 4:11 am 

kirkusjones wrote:
OldManJenkins wrote:

Shabbaman wrote:

But the thing is, these "collector packs" are nothing more than rebranded, slightly different versions of those terrible all foil Alara block packs from 10+ years ago. It's not new, it's not really all that exciting (in my opinion) and the only positive thing is that it seems like a way to release mythic edition stuff without replicating the overselling debacle from War of the Spark.

I think you've described exactly what it is. It's a way to get Mythic Edition and similar category stuff out there in a way that doesn't cause problems.

I also think those of us who are unimpressed or even thinking "what is this cash grab garbage" are not the target audience. In theory it's an excellent way to service people underserviced by current options and who actually want something like this — that's exactly what Maro said it was. Many of us are not those people.

Were the Commander precon decks not initially considered cash grabs by vocal people who did not need or want them? In fact I am quite sure they are still considered that by some. But they remain a beloved product by a great number of people who specifically want products like those.

The only thing that really confounded me was the pack being half foil given foil curling issues, but I guess a person who wants to collect foil versions of uncommons and etc will be serviced just fine by that.

Last edited by spacemonaut on 2019-Jul-21 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-21 4:27 am 

TBH, I’m mostly upset about the collector’s boosters because it’s exactly the sort of thing I’ll spend needlessly on. :(

Offline Profile