Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-18 8:08 pm

Post subject: What is your favorite card in all of EDH and why?
AgePosted: 2019-Jul-24 8:52 am 

I know an impossible task for some! I am curious what are peoples favorite single card in EDH, just as important why?

Fury

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: What is your favorite card in all of EDH and why?
AgePosted: 2019-Jul-24 9:17 am 

Here are some previous discussions on similar topics you might find interesting:

Favorite card in each color?
Favourite format cards

That said, for me it's a toss-up... I want to say Nature's Blessing since it is so versatile (from before versatility was common in MtG) and I really love Banding (best keyword ever and I was shocked when they said people didn't grok it and it was retired). However, since it is GW, I would lean toward Phyrexian Splicer since it goes anywhere, is rarely seen coming and lends itself to such great combat tricks.

They aren't powerful, I know, but they are certainly fun.

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-24 9:57 am 

Hoo boy. Tough one.

I mean, clearly Raging Goblin is the card to end all cards but after that it gets a lot fuzzier.

I love me a Garruk Wildspeaker. But I think most of my favourite cards are as part of some synergistic combo with another card or cards.

I was inordinately enamoured with Plague Boiler for the longest time.

I had a janky af 60-card super casual deck where Giantbaiting was an all-star.

Siege-Gang Commander? Firemane Angel? Rumbling Slum? Obsidian Fireheart (the land continues to burn)?

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

The internet's great at making noise, and poor at operating pants. There's gonna be half-dressed mobs screeching half-assed arguments for the rest of the 21st century - Kemev

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-24 11:42 am 

Akroma's Memorial

Always kinda been enamored with the card. It has solid artwork. The flavor text is spot on. For a 7-cost artifact, it has quite a big combat-based effect. And the idea of warriors, creatures, etc. becoming inspired just by the presence of her memorial, and then feeling an up-swelling of power directly from Akroma's essence to carry on her cause is pretty cool.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-24 2:45 pm 

My favorite removal trio of Twisted Image, Psychotic Fury, and the relative newcomer Bladebrand.

Part of the reason I got back into playing Magic seriously again was upon seeing and playing with Journey to Eternity and loving it, so that card will probably have a special place in my heart for a while.

Viperion beat me to two of my favorites in original Garruk and Obsidian Fireheart. A lot of pet cards of mine are from the time between Lorwyn and the end of the Scars block, with some chief examples being Vigor, Vampire Hexmage, Thada Adel, Omnath, Locus of Mana, Khalni Hydra, Lich Lord of Unx, Kargan Dragonlord, Nissa Revane, Mirrorworks, Chancellor of the Spires, Koth of the Hammer, and Skinrender

Another card that's been on my favorite list since it came out is Bruse Tarl. I'd be more than willing to make a deck for each color combination that can have him as a general. To paraphrase Christine McVie: he makes combat fun.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-24 11:37 pm 

Hoo boy, that's a tough nut to crack.

Tolarian Academy is my favorite card in Magic, hands down, but it is banned in EDH and even if it weren't I'd likely never use it because I've already ruined at least one playgroup via its use.

Beyond that, Time Sprial is certainly an all-timer for me. It's just never not-fun to cast!

Rite of Replication held the #1 spot for me for years, but I finally grew weary of it due to its sheer ubiquitousness. I still use it, just not in EVERY deck. So I'd say it's now a long way from the top of the list, but still a card I enjoy casting when I do get to.

I'm also a big fan of Survival of the Fittest, and the Judge Promo I have is easily one of the most valuable cards in my collection. But I rarely play it due to it's sheer power, so not sure it quite makes the top of the list (though if I weren't at all concerned with overpoweredness, it would be a contender).

My favorite two-color combo in Magic is Golgari, because I love both graveyard strategies and Grave Pact type effects. So I'd say Grave Pact is likely to make Top 5 at the very least.

Mirari's Wake is probably my favorite multi-color card of all time (that isn't a Legendary Creature at least), but a lot of my love for it at this point is nostalgic. At one time it was a seriously great card, now it's just sort of okay, outside of specific decks anyway.

At the end of the day, though, there is really just no way on earth I can narrow this down to just one card, so I'll try to do it more broadly, based off my playstyle and preferences.

My favorite card in Magic is "Value".

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-25 12:46 am 

Wow I am pleasantly surprised by the responses! Nature's Blessing What a blast from the past. I remember the art from Alliances being so cool.

I remember there was a time in EDH i put Garruk Wildspeaker In every deck of mine. What a classic walker in green that does everything.

Akroma's Memorial what a boss card. I think i would enjoy EDH with you segrus. Just massive armies clashing.

You know i have never seen any of these cards played in EDH! Twisted Image, Psychotic Fury, and Bladebrand. I think one of my favorite parts of playing this format is the "wait what is that card again?" aspect of the game.

I had a force of will draw/go deck that could go off turn one when Tolarian Academy came out :lol: :lol: Really just being a kid back then it is crazy to reflect back on the raw power of Urza block. For me that's the most iconic magic block their is.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-25 1:15 am 

It is tough to say one card. Too many produce so many good responses. I love black, and I like the old cards. The time when people finally realized one black mana means darkness is a thing with me was a favorite moment. Although once they knew that is what it means, that one isn't as fun as it was. The rules of the format also make hellfire potentially awesome, and it has been.

I like playing commanders that people don't take seriously and making odd cards become very scary. Once the fear is known, its on to the next black card. That said, I have to say darkness because it is the first one that worked that way for me, and the art is so cool.

Guardian beast is a close second even though it is not a trick. It is just too cool, and provides a powerful connection with the past to more recent things like living weapon. The people who made the beast would have never thought that is how it would be played.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-25 2:05 am 

Ok so my favorite card to play in EDH isnt really even a legal card but for me the amount of laughs it generates I cant let it go. I made an entire deck around it using Glissa, the Traitor as my commander. I need to post a deck list and get some help to tune the deck up.

I call the deck "Glissa go beer me" with the goal of using Ashnod's Coupon as many times as I can before dying. I must admit I have never been the last player standing playing that deck but I always come out feeling like i won :lol: :lol: :lol:

"Youre swingin for 5 commander damage? How bout you go to the garage and snag me another beer while you're at it"

For the why, i mean obviously i get a cold one every time I crack a coupon but also it plays into the best part of commander, the politics! "if you dont attack me i wont have you run beer all game :lol: :lol: :lol:"
-Fury

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-25 6:36 am 

I tend to build decks around my favorite cards, and I have too many decks to really list them all, but I think the card that makes me smile every time I play it is Pelakka Wurm. Funny name, big smashy body, tons of value. It was a card I would windmill slam in ROE limited and it never would have had a home if not for EDH.

Riku: Pump Spells
Teneb: Life Manipulation
Kiki-Jiki: Big Red
Geth: Nim
Kodama of the North Tree: Hard Mode Voltron
Nin: Elementals
Sram: Jankstorm
Zur: Zombies
Rhys the Redeemed: Aura Voltron
Chandra, Fire of Kaladesh: Chandras
Ojutai, Soul of Winter: Tap Out Control
Alesha: Allies
Inalla: Treasures
Vial Smasher: Lava Axes
Atraxa: Counterless Keywords
Ludevic and Tymna: Curses

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-25 6:38 am 

Well, if we can count Un-cards and stuff like that, I'd probably have to pick at least one card. Shame I can't remember any off the top of my head, although I'd imagine there's probably a big green creature or two that I'd enjoy. Especially if they're from Unhinged specifically, and especially if they're the one silver bordered card that needs to be reprinted in a black bordered set.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-25 6:51 am 

Probably Soul of the Harvest. It's a big green creature and the art is really pretty, and I like these things. It also rewards me with exactly what I want for doing exactly what I want to do. Plus for kicks it's got Harvester of Souls for a sort of mirror and that's one of my runner-up favorites.

(I've got a lot of runner-up favorites — my wishlist of cards I want to use someday has like 150 unique cards on it at this point. This thread's already added a handful and is going to add more.)

@AoOFury: Your Ashnod's Coupon deck made me burst out laughing. I love that. I want to make a deck like that to bring to pub meets.

Last edited by spacemonaut on 2019-Jul-25 7:36 am, edited 3 times in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-25 6:58 am 

Hm, Ashnod's Coupon, Salvaging Station, Karn, Silver Golem and Pitiless Plunderer. Infinite drinks! What happens if you use Ashnod's Coupon with Mindslaver?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-25 7:08 am 

AoOFury wrote:
....Urza block. For me that's the most iconic magic block their is.
Couldn't agree more! I started playing Magic right at the tail end of Urza's (about 2-3 months before Masques came out I believe, but it could have been a bit before Urza's Destiny came out, not quite sure).

Anyway, the first full booster box I ever bought was a box of Saga and I pulled a Cradle, an Academy and a Time Spiral, and I was so thrilled. I'd been playing a while but that was the moment I really commited myself to the game fully.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-25 7:11 am 

Oh if Un-cards are on the table, then I have to throw out Enter the Dungeon. It's not my favorite card in the game by any stretch but it's definitely my favorite Un-card ever.

Offline Profile