Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-15 12:43 am

Post subject: The Grand Calcutron can be your commander.
AgePosted: 2019-Sep-27 2:39 am 

So... that happened. I am not sure how I feel about it.

Eli Shiffrin wrote:
THE GRAND CALCUTRON (FUNCTIONAL)

Here's one of the strangest Oracle updates to date. The Grand Calcutron was intended to be playable as your commander for an Order of the Widget silver-bordered Commander deck. One glance at the text box says there's no way "The Grand Calcutron can be your commander" would fit on the printed card. The initial solution was to just say that this is true in its Gatherer rulings, but that's more arbitrary than we like Gatherer rulings to be. So, this is not what we would ever do with black-border cards, but for silver-border, we decided to add the ability in Oracle so that the ruling isn't entirely baffling. Though maybe baffling would be more appropriate for the Order of the Widget . . .

Again, please note that this is not something we intend to do in black-border Magic. We recognize that this is a fairly extreme change to the card text, and even then, it's only happening because the "can be your commander" ruling has existed for the card's entire life. Sorry, Nephilim.
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/oracle-changes-2019-09-27

With perfect mana, reasonable removal, disruption, and card advantage, we're back to pitchforks and torches. And it's about to get worse for those who do not enjoy the game as Richard Garfield intended, playing as few win conditions as possible and prompting concession after all hopes (and spells) are lost. - Shaheen Soorani

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: The Grand Calcutron can be your commander.
AgePosted: 2019-Sep-27 3:35 am 

*As long as you're playing a game that allows silver bordered cards.

Seems fine since you're already accepting it will be a silver bordered game. I never cared for the card myself.

Retired:
Krenko, Mob Boss (Goblins)
Zedruu the Christmas Goat (group hug)
Ramses Overdark (Assassin Deck)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Sep-27 4:42 am 

random aside, im pissed all the old Townsfolk creatures arent Peasants now. They should have been Citizens like the token or SOMETHING.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Sep-27 5:33 am 

Bruticus wrote:
*As long as you're playing a game that allows silver bordered cards.

Seems fine since you're already accepting it will be a silver bordered game. I never cared for the card myself.

That's kind of how I feel too... It won't really affect me as I have had basically zero games with Silver bordered cards. Just seemed odd that they would even bother updating it as the games where Un-cards are allowed are not zero but likely less than 1% of games (probably less than 0.01%) so it will effect close to no one. I guess very little downside, slight upside for the 4 people that are wanting it?

I did get Sheldon to sign a Sword of Dungeons & Dragons for me (because I got his token from a SCG order) and will be putting that in my Syr Gwen deck as soon as I get it. So that might happen, but I do plan on having a card to switch it out if people say no. Not sure which Sword (or maybe Sunforger?)

With perfect mana, reasonable removal, disruption, and card advantage, we're back to pitchforks and torches. And it's about to get worse for those who do not enjoy the game as Richard Garfield intended, playing as few win conditions as possible and prompting concession after all hopes (and spells) are lost. - Shaheen Soorani

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Sep-27 6:18 am 

Grand Calcutron could always be your commander, FYI. From Blogatog in Nov 2017:
Mark Rosewater wrote:
Here’s official Blogatog errata:

You may use The Grand Calcutron as a commander in silver-bordered Commander.

Until these gatherer updates this was also reflected in a ruling: “In Commander games allowing silver-bordered cards, The Grand Calcutron can be your commander.
(2018-01-19)”

The only real change is moving this from rulings into Oracle text.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Sep-30 6:05 am 

Inkeyes22 wrote:
I am not sure how I feel about it.
I know how I feel -- I went out and ordered one. :)

I do plan to make it my commander -- so it's going to be up front that I have some silver-bordered craziness going on. I do plan to stick to only using any silver bordered card that seems reasonable (no Mox Lotus), and not overly annoying (no Mana Screw, no "gotcha" cards) .. I'm *hoping* my play groups will let me run it as commander from time to time.

I suspect I'll have "swap out" cards for anyone who objects if I feel like I really want to run the deck (who knows how it'll turn out, but I certainly hope it's fun for me to pilot). I don't think I'm going to go the route of "Oh, I can't play the Un- card? Okay, here's <horrible azorius commander> instead." I want them to let me play it because they trust me to want to have fun games, not because they simply prefer it to annoying-to-toxic alternative :)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Sep-30 7:03 pm 

I thought about building a Grand Calcutron deck because I'd be interested to see what it's like to play with it. But I decided not to because it made me want to do unfun things to stop my opponents from taking advantage of it.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Oct-01 1:46 am 

For a pretty long while, my group played Silver-bordered cards, and I had a Dr. Julius Jumblemorph deck. I ended up taking it apart because I had gotten bored of it, and I think if anyone in my group tabled a silver-bordered card, I'd be okay with it.

What we established we'd be down for:

For the most part, I think Silver-bordered cards generally okay. Many of them have non-silver counterparts (like Timmy, Power Gamer is just Elvish Piper). Some cards, like Checks and Balances, have some real multiplayer potential, and something like Drawn Together is only a hair better than other similar cards (Dictate of Heliod), but with a devastating restriction (but maybe you're one of those Rebecca Guay fans?).

Dice Rolling, coin-flipping are generally fine. People could play Richard Garfield, Ph.D. if they did not consult their smartphone/scryfall, and didn't name the same cards game after game.

What we established we were not okay with:

Some cards remarkably ill-suited for any kind of play because they're too ambiguous (like Cheatyface; how soon is "right away?"), or would be disruptive in almost any context (lookin at you Red-hot Hottie and Nerf War).

Others are just onerous because subgames/game resets are time-consuming and bonkers (Enter the Dungeon, The Countdown is at One, Once More With Feeling).

I think we generally shied away from cards that would be overly powerful (Avatar of Me, for me, is a brown 6/12 for UU, which seems nuts, Necro-Impotence can be scary good).

Cards that would be obnoxious (any of the Gotcha! cards) were left out.

-----

I think, basically, we'd play cards that might appear in an ordinary magic set, but never did because design reasons(tm) (even though Augment is perilously close to -- and basically a worse version of -- Meld).

Follow me on Twitter: @generalspeak

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Oct-03 5:50 am 

Sinis wrote:
Avatar of Me, for me, is a brown 6/12 for UU, which seems nuts

You've been alive for negative 20 years?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Oct-03 2:02 pm 

NMS wrote:
Sinis wrote:
Avatar of Me, for me, is a brown 6/12 for UU, which seems nuts

You've been alive for negative 20 years?

Negative 25, to be exact.

Okay, I misread the card. I think I never brought that one up with my group because I misread it, but, now it just looks kind of bad.

Follow me on Twitter: @generalspeak

Offline Profile