Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Dec-12 2:27 am

Post subject: Fyi, Maro's twitter poll on commander format changes
AgePosted: 2019-Dec-09 2:53 am 

https://mobile.twitter.com/maro254/stat ... 46720?s=20

It's not going to provoke me to rejoin Twitter. I'm sure folks here will want to air their opinions

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Fyi, Maro's twitter poll on commander format changes
AgePosted: 2019-Dec-09 3:53 am 

I mean, there are somethings I can see them change but the vast majority of those options are 0% chance.

With perfect mana, reasonable removal, disruption, and card advantage, we're back to pitchforks and torches. And it's about to get worse for those who do not enjoy the game as Richard Garfield intended, playing as few win conditions as possible and prompting concession after all hopes (and spells) are lost. - Shaheen Soorani

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Dec-09 7:33 am 

Sheldon has replied to that: https://mobile.twitter.com/SheldonMener ... 1179991042

To save people clicking the link:

Sheldon wrote:
Just to be clear, none of these, save "No Changes" are actually in discussion by the Commander RC (so "possible" is true only in the remotest sense). #cmdrRC

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Dec-09 10:28 am 

What do they mean by fourth player advantage?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Dec-09 10:37 am 

Kemev wrote:
What do they mean by fourth player advantage?

Don't rightly know, but my guess is it means giving the last player of a round an extra advantage (since going first is normally offset by not getting to draw a card).

I'm not exactly sure what Maro is wanting out of this poll.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Dec-09 10:40 am 

Maro's head-to-heads aren't usually very serious. I don't imagine this one is either. (Though lots of people are going to take it seriously.)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Dec-09 11:09 am 

spacemonaut wrote:
Maro's head-to-heads aren't usually very serious. I don't imagine this one is either. (Though lots of people are going to take it seriously.)

Yeah, there are sometimes when I think he is testing the waters on ideas. These particular ideas are pretty terrible in my opinion, but they are things that get talked about still.

With perfect mana, reasonable removal, disruption, and card advantage, we're back to pitchforks and torches. And it's about to get worse for those who do not enjoy the game as Richard Garfield intended, playing as few win conditions as possible and prompting concession after all hopes (and spells) are lost. - Shaheen Soorani

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Dec-10 4:27 am 

Fourth player advantage is an idea that got floated around during a Command Zone podcast, if memory serves me correctly. The basic premise is that the person going 4th (or last) is at a large disadvantage, so many players have tried to come up with a way to offset that, such as drawing an extra card or getting a scry effect.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Dec-10 11:50 am 

cryogen wrote:
Fourth player advantage is an idea that got floated around during a Command Zone podcast, if memory serves me correctly. The basic premise is that the person going 4th (or last) is at a large disadvantage, so many players have tried to come up with a way to offset that, such as drawing an extra card or getting a scry effect.

4th player advantage is hard to get right. One of my play groups tried doing turn order like a serpentine draft

But the game basically turned into a munted mess when someone cast Time stretch.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Dec-11 9:54 am 

Carthain wrote:
Sheldon has replied to that: https://mobile.twitter.com/SheldonMener ... 1179991042
Sheldon wrote:
Just to be clear, none of these, save "No Changes" are actually in discussion by the Commander RC (so "possible" is true only in the remotest sense). #cmdrRC

Well, the Change Mulligan Rule option is one that MaRo actually has some control over at this point. (Since Commander currently has "whatever normal Magic uses" as its mulligan rule, MaRo theoretically has as much/more power to change it than the RC...)

My Decks: Zombiepocalypse (Thraximundar) ♦ Thrun stands alone (voltron) ♦ Ashling the Burninator ♦ Doran beatdown (treefolk/plant tribal) ♦ Mine! (UB theft/clone) ♦ Vampire Beatdown (Edgar Markov) ♦ BW Enchantments (Daxos the Returned)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Dec-11 12:09 pm 

Willbender wrote:
Carthain wrote:
Sheldon wrote:

Well, the Change Mulligan Rule option is one that MaRo actually has some control over at this point. (Since Commander currently has "whatever normal Magic uses" as its mulligan rule, MaRo theoretically has as much/more power to change it than the RC...)

Not really, since A: MaRo isn't a rules guy for WotC, and B: the RC could decide at any time to change the EDH mulligan to something else.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Dec-11 4:32 pm 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
Not really, since A: MaRo isn't a rules guy for WotC, and B: the RC could decide at any time to change the EDH mulligan to something else.

And C: I've yet to go into a shop that doesn't have some sort of house rule for Mulligans.

Offline Profile