Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Dec-05 8:41 pm

Post subject: Question: "outside the game"
AgePosted: 2019-Nov-25 6:31 am 

In commander, how does "outside the game" work? For cards such as Fae of Wishes, other wishes, etc? Is it a house rule? Must you have a "wish board" if you play with such cards? Would one such house rule be you may retrieve something from exile? What is standard practice for these cards?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Question: "outside the game"
AgePosted: 2019-Nov-25 7:01 am 

Welcome to the forums!

You've touched on a ... subject of conflict of sorts :) So my answer will have two parts: First will be the 'official' and supported method, and then the second part will be dealing with houserules.

Offical:
Officially anything that gets a card from "outside of the game" simply doesn't do anything when you try to do that. Other parts of it still work just fine.

Houserules:
Feel free to house-rule it however you and your local group finds to be fun! Some things to consider: If you do allow to get things from "outside the game":
  • can a person search his/her whole collection?
  • Can the card be outside of that player's commander's colour identity?
  • Can the card be a duplicate of what's already inside the deck?
Also, allowing a wish to get something from Exile is a perfectly fine houserule -- it enables these kinds of cards to have some functionality without having to worry about some other possible issues that it creates.

As I mentioned it was a topic of conflict -- over in the rules forum there is a 18 page thread on the pro's & con's of allowing these effects to work in the game.

Other sites (such as MTG Nexus) also have discussions about this in their forums, and while I don't know of any on reddit, it wouldn't surprise me if there's some discussion to be found over there as well.

It's not problem that has an easy "cut-and-dry" solution - which is why you'll find lots of discussion on it.

Best is to take a look at what people are saying, and come to some agreement among your own group.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Nov-25 10:57 am 

Welcome, Carthain did a good job of summing up the answer, so maybe we could ask Thanos to remove 1/2 of all posts entitled Question: "outside the game"?

With perfect mana, reasonable removal, disruption, and card advantage, we're back to pitchforks and torches. And it's about to get worse for those who do not enjoy the game as Richard Garfield intended, playing as few win conditions as possible and prompting concession after all hopes (and spells) are lost. - Shaheen Soorani

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Nov-25 9:30 pm 

Inkeyes22 wrote:
Welcome, Carthain did a good job of summing up the answer, so maybe we could ask Thanos to remove 1/2 of all posts entitled Question: "outside the game"?

I don't believe he's actually able to do that, since both have been responded to. The mods could merge the threads though.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile