Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Dec-15 5:37 pm

Post subject: 2019 Year End AMA
AgePosted: 2019-Dec-02 5:42 am 
EDH Rules Committee

Last chance of the year for an AMA. You know what to do at this point. Thanks in advance!

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: 2019 Year End AMA
AgePosted: 2019-Dec-02 5:51 am 

Do I need to be concerned about the banning of cards like Underground Sea, Timetwister, etc, due to price?

How’s treatment? How’s your family doing, I imagine it’s difficult for everyone.

Have you seen the mandalorian?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Dec-02 5:52 am 

Now that your articles are behind a paywall, do you still intend to use SCG as a platform to spread your views as a RC member?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Dec-02 6:00 am 

(I would have worded that question "Now that your articles are behind a paywall, how will the RC get announcements and update articles to the general Commander playerbase?" but I may just be being overly sensitive on Sheldon's behalf)

What was the thing that surprised you the most about the work environment at WotC? (No fair saying "it's the passion for the work that the folks there bring" - that's hardly a surprise, at this point :P )

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

The internet's great at making noise, and poor at operating pants. There's gonna be half-dressed mobs screeching half-assed arguments for the rest of the 21st century - Kemev

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Dec-02 6:02 am 

What do you think white needs to be better in Commander hut still feel like white?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Dec-02 6:14 am 

Hard hitting question here:

Have you tried the Popeye's chicken sandwich? If so, do you think it lives up to the hype? What is your favorite fast food chicken sandwich?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Dec-02 6:21 am 

How is the health?

How long until we see what you were working on at WotC? (Even if it is just a vague 2+ years away is fine)

What are your thoughts on Happily Ever After?

Did you request the W/B Angel/Avacyn's sister be added to something in the pipeline?

How many Angels/Angel support cards did you design while in Seattle?

With perfect mana, reasonable removal, disruption, and card advantage, we're back to pitchforks and torches. And it's about to get worse for those who do not enjoy the game as Richard Garfield intended, playing as few win conditions as possible and prompting concession after all hopes (and spells) are lost. - Shaheen Soorani

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Dec-02 7:32 am 

As a Commander player, I often feel the fear of missing out with so many Magic products released that are relevant to my favourite format. "This product may not be for you" doesn't work so well when almost every product could, in theory, be "for me". Do you think this is an issue at all, and how would you advise someone who loves Commander but cannot afford to acquire everything?

(As always, my best wishes to you and your loved ones regarding your health!)

Daretti, Scrap Savant (Red Artefacts).
Ephara, God of the Polis (Azorius Men O'War)
Rubinia Soulsinger (Bant Polymorphs).
Kess, Dissident Mage (Grixis Treasure).
Sek'Kuar, Deathkeeper (Jund Apostles).
Mathas, Fiend Seeker (Mardu Judo).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Dec-02 8:48 am 

What are the odds of having a contest for player-created cards either as it's own set or as add-ins to upcoming sets? I like to think I have tons of cool ideas and would love a shot at one becoming a reality :)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Dec-02 9:05 am 
EDH Rules Committee

Baynne720 wrote:
What are the odds of having a contest for player-created cards either as it's own set or as add-ins to upcoming sets? I like to think I have tons of cool ideas and would love a shot at one becoming a reality :)

You Make the Card has happened 3 (4?) times in the history of Magic. That's your odds.

Unsolicited ideas are not something WotC is interested in dealing with. They aren't short of cool ideas, and the legal nightmare of dealing with unsolicited ideas isn't close to worth it for them. If you want cards to appear in print, find a way to get known, then get under contract.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Dec-02 9:08 am 

What are your thoughts on our beloved elk boy, Oko, Thief of Crowns?

How's things going collaborating with Wizards of the Coast? What's it like?

What Secret Lairs are/were you considering?

Last edited by spacemonaut on 2019-Dec-03 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Dec-02 12:04 pm 

If the RC sat down for a game of Star EDH, where each player's Color (and possibly General) are chosen by the rest of the RC, which mono-colored General would you vote to assign to each of your fellow RC Members? What color/General do you think they would assign to you?

What General have you never played or played against that you look forward to facing one day?

What "retired" keyword ability would you bring back, if you could (even if only for a nostalgia set like Time Spiral)?

Favorite book you've read in the last year or so (~even if the book was just new-to-you)?

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Dec-02 9:52 pm 

A common request from the cEDH community to the RC, is a ban of Flash.

While everyone is well aware the RC's banlist is tailored towards the casual players (which are the vast majority of the playerbase), a ban of Flash would still make the cEDH metagame a lot healthier and diverse while not harming the casual players at all. (since nobody runs Flash casually as far as I'm aware)

And while I understand that a card won't simply be banned because people ask you to or because it is somewhat annoying to play against, I'm sure you've already considered putting the card on a banlist after enough requests were made about it.

So, my question is... What good does Flash do to the format to make you prefer to keep it within the format instead of removing it for the sake of the more competitive players?

Edit: I'm not sure if more than one question per post is allowed, but if it is, please answer the next two questions as well. If not, just ignore this.

In the past you have stated that nobody benefits from a large banlist, could you clarify your thought process behind that? From my perspective, everyone benefits from an extensive banlist as it makes the games of commander more enjoyable and with less moments in which one person wins simply because they drew that one sacky card that is extremely overpowered due to either being a design mistake by WotC or plain and simply interacting poorly with the format. (I'm referring to stuff like Skullclamp in the former and Serra Ascendant in the latter, there are of course more examples, but I think those two can highlight the issue I'm bringing up)

While I'm not asking for the ban of any specific card with this post, I'm really under the impression that getting rid of cards that make for extremely unfun situations because one person happened to draw a card that generates more value than the board of the other 3 players combined is generally a good thing for the overall health of the format, so I can't quite understand your stance of trying to maintain the EDH banlist small. I'd appreciate if you could go more in depth on why you consider it better to have a smaller banlist over a bigger banlist that addresses those big outliers that can win games on their own. (I'm aware Serra Ascendant won't win a game on their own though, but it does interact very poorly with the format regardless)

The last question is a much less interesting one... Are there any plans to update the server and/or software of these forums? I mean, I created my account just for this AMA, but I lurked here every now and then before, and uhn... No offense to whoever coded this, but this is the worst forum I ever looked at, and I have been in some pretty outdated forums before this... >.>

Like... The forum goes down a LOT whenever anything is announced (common examples are the AMAs and the banlist), which I assume is more of a server issue than forum software issue, but...

The forum also has no mobile support, an extremely non-intuitive UI (like, uhn... How am I supposed to know UCP = Profile Settings? I clicked literally everywhere else before finding that one), and the manual approval system for user messages is uhn... Archaic? I honestly never heard of a forum that used that until I popped here. (though I'm unsure if this one was because I'm a new member or not)

And well, this kind of thing really makes me unwilling to use those forums, (I know they are seemingly small issues, but once you get used to forums with modern softwares, it's hard to accept using forums on super old software) and I'm sure others feel the same, so uhn... Just wanted to know if there are plans to update the software and/or the server... Especially the server, as the forums going down each time an announcement is made isn't exactly fun... >.>

Last edited by AliceShiki on 2019-Dec-03 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Dec-03 1:18 am 

Hi Sheldon,

First time contributing to an AMA. Thanks for the work that you and the RC do to maintain the format.

Many people feel as though mono white is the worst mono color in the format. Regardless of what wizards says about what it should or shouldn't be able to do, it just doesn't seem fun or inspiring fire people to build.

What do you think mono white needs to be a more viable mono color? Or if you believe it IS viable, what kind of commander (whether it be flavor, mechanic, theme, etc.) Would help people get excited about building mono white?

Also, if you could add any one thing to white's color pie, what would it be?

Thanks

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Dec-03 2:39 am 

Hello Sheldon, created an account just to ask this question.

What is the rationale for having cards such as Library of Alexandria, Ancestral Recall, Louts, Moxen, etc banned in the format, when this is supposedly an "eternal" format? Clearly there's no issue with fast mana with the allowance of Mox Diamond, Sol Ring, Fellwar Stone, etc., but how was your line drawn between those cards and the original 5 Mox?

Offline Profile