Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Feb-18 6:22 am

Post subject: Website for Duel Commander
AgePosted: 2011-Dec-21 1:46 am 

Hi Folks,

As some of you know already, I've been involved in the Duel variant of Commander since 2007.
Since Dec 20th, 2012, along with a team of players, we have started a website dedicated to Duel Commander:
http://www.duelcommander.com
The website is both French and English, and we aim at updating the specific ban-list (known as the "French" ban-list) every three months.

Enjoy!

Kevin Desprez
DCI Judge level 4

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Website for Duel Commander
AgePosted: 2011-Dec-21 2:28 am 

I was under the impression that the french rules also remove tuck by allowing generals sent to library to instead be placed in the command zone. Is that not the case?

Also, I would suggest that you post your complete ban list first and discuss the changes from the original ban list afterwards. Much less confusing for anyone coming in without a solid background in normal multiplayer commander.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Dec-21 8:41 am 

It is.
I've sent that feedback to the article manager and he should check this very fast.
Thx for the feedback :)

Kevin.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Dec-30 8:10 pm 

Great! this site is a good idea.

We want to organize a more 'competitive' commander event. Some players are asking for this.
This site is a good help.
Can you give more information about how to organize such an event?
Do you play only one game, or best out of 3?
Do you use the sideboard rules? And can you sideboard before the first game then?

Ob Nixilis, the fallen last update: 07/01/2010
Brion Stoutarm last update: 07/01/10

Experiment Kraj
Stonebrow, Krosan hero

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jan-03 5:06 pm 

Hey,

We usually play 60-minute rounds, best of 3, without sideboards.
We usually cut to top8.

If you have any further questions, don't hesitate :)

Kevin.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jan-26 1:22 pm 
EDH Rules Committee

Why no sideboards, out of curiosity?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jan-27 2:32 am 

We had playtested SB, and we came to the conclusion that, to be competitive, they would most likely never be made of anything else than the most broken color-haters (Anarchy, Boil, etc.) and that they didn't add much else than "Will I draw my hate before you draw yours?"

Kevin.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jan-28 11:32 pm 

KevinD wrote:
We had playtested SB, and we came to the conclusion that, to be competitive, they would most likely never be made of anything else than the most broken color-haters (Anarchy, Boil, etc.) and that they didn't add much else than "Will I draw my hate before you draw yours?"

Kevin.

Which is the whole point of a sideboard, no?

I mean, you're promoting 1v1 as a competitive format so it seems somewhat unfair to remove one of the main advantages available to all other competitive formats.

That's not ban-worthy, that's the spirit of EDH. Three-card combo involving the combat phase? Awesome.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jan-29 12:13 pm 

tempesteye wrote:
KevinD wrote:

Kevin.

Which is the whole point of a sideboard, no?

I mean, you're promoting 1v1 as a competitive format so it seems somewhat unfair to remove one of the main advantages available to all other competitive formats.

Wizards doesn't print a lot of cards like Choke or Flashfires these days.

Just because a format is competitive doesn't mean you want it to be luck-based or unfun.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jan-29 4:23 pm 

Well, tempesteye, if your point is fair, we try to have Commander remain different than other formats and keep it relatively close to the original (multiplayer) one.
obsidiandice had exactly summarized my thoughts.

Kevin.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jan-29 11:41 pm 
EDH Rules Committee

Again out of curiosity, what about EDH makes the colour hosers so good? You don't see them very much in legacy sideboards (you do a bit, but the vast majority of sideboard slots are not devoted to colour hosers) so why are they so necessary in this format?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jan-30 9:45 am 

Ban Ki-moon wrote:
Again out of curiosity, what about EDH makes the colour hosers so good? You don't see them very much in legacy sideboards (you do a bit, but the vast majority of sideboard slots are not devoted to colour hosers) so why are they so necessary in this format?

How do you beat mono-U without color hosers in this foramat? Honestly? I've played my Clique deck in over 60 matches vs competitive decks run by players I'd consider better than me, and lost only 2 games- one vs a Thrun deck specifically tuned to beat mono-U (and it was close) that would have lost to almost any other competitive deck, and one vs an Eryao deck (before he got the banhammer), who flipped on turn 2, and I still hit him for 18 general damage before I died.

Formats in which broken strategies exist need sideboards, period. I think not allowing them is a huge mistake.

Norin the Wary (chaos control)
Talrand (mono-U tempo/Proteus Staff combo)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jan-30 12:13 pm 

Which is exactly my point. If you're playing a MATCH, having options to deal with opposing strategies is important and that's what a SB is for.
Even if you're talking about pre-boarding for a 1v1 commander game, I think that's still acceptable, since the brokenness of the format still exists (albeit in a different way).

It seems to me that anyone who chooses to play a narrowly build deck (like mono-Blue) has to accept that they are weak to certain color hate cards.
And there is nothing stopping the other deck from from sideboarding in their own hate cards.

What I see here, Kevin, is you trying to sculpt the meta in a very specific direction, instead of letting it develop in its own direction. There's nothing wrong with that, btw, but let's just be clear on what's really happening.

That's not ban-worthy, that's the spirit of EDH. Three-card combo involving the combat phase? Awesome.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jan-31 5:47 am 
EDH Rules Committee

Killane wrote:
Ban Ki-moon wrote:

How do you beat mono-U without color hosers in this foramat? Honestly? I've played my Clique deck in over 60 matches vs competitive decks run by players I'd consider better than me, and lost only 2 games- one vs a Thrun deck specifically tuned to beat mono-U (and it was close) that would have lost to almost any other competitive deck, and one vs an Eryao deck (before he got the banhammer), who flipped on turn 2, and I still hit him for 18 general damage before I died.

Formats in which broken strategies exist need sideboards, period. I think not allowing them is a huge mistake.

Well, it seems to me that even in that situation there are better hosers than the cards that destroy all islands. You've got Xantid Swarm on the first turn, Grand Abolisher or Vexing Shusher on two, and City of Solitude on three. That's definitely not an exhaustive list, and all of those come down before Tsunami or Boil.

If you're game plan going into game 2 against Vendilion Clique is to resolve a four mana spell, you're in pretty big trouble.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jan-31 9:02 am 

Ban Ki-moon wrote:
Killane wrote:
Ban Ki-moon wrote:

Well, it seems to me that even in that situation there are better hosers than the cards that destroy all islands. You've got Xantid Swarm on the first turn, Grand Abolisher or Vexing Shusher on two, and City of Solitude on three. That's definitely not an exhaustive list, and all of those come down before Tsunami or Boil.

If you're game plan going into game 2 against Vendilion Clique is to resolve a four mana spell, you're in pretty big trouble.

I completely agree with you. The cards you pointed out belong in the sideboard though - they're pretty dead maindeck against allot of strategies. I guess I think of those cards as color hosers as well - what do they really do against anything but blue lol?

Norin the Wary (chaos control)
Talrand (mono-U tempo/Proteus Staff combo)

Offline Profile