Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Aug-24 6:31 am

Post subject: Attempt at proving how insane this format can be
AgePosted: 2009-Apr-12 5:45 pm 

I finally had time to construct this list. Basically, I always wanted to see what the most powerful deck in this format could look like. Recently, in my area, there was an EDH tournament, and the top 4 consisted of 2 Braids, 1 Azami and 1 Grand Arbiter Augustin IV. So essentially, the general strategy of this format? Tempo control, whether is be just mana denial or just countering your key spells to slow you down.

Here is my version 1.0:
*NOTE: This list is under the assumption that you are playing at 30 life (actually, life is not a big deal for this deck anyway) and that you are allowed a 10 card sideboard (this is important because of Cunning Wish).

General: Sliver Queen

6 Island
1 Breeding Pool
1 Steam Vents
1 Lonely Sandbar
1 Tolaria West
1 Remote Isle
1 Ancient Tomb
1 Watery Grave
1 Horizon Canopy
1 Forest
2 Swamp
1 Plains
1 Gemstone Mine
1 City of Brass
1 Grand Coliseum
1 Cephalid Coliseum
1 Bloodstained Mire
1 Tropical Island
1 Volcanic Island
1 Polluted Delta
1 Flooded Strand
1 Tree of Tales
1 Hallowed Fountain
1 Wooded Foothills
1 Windswept Heath
1 Taiga
1 Tundra
1 Strip Mine
1 Wasteland
1 Underground Sea
1 Rishadan Port
1 Seaside Citadel

1 Viridian Shaman
1 Eternal Witness
1 Venser, Shaper Savant
1 Dark Confidant
1 Tarmogoyf
1 Vendilion Clique
1 Trinket Mage
1 Trygon Predator
1 Quirion Dryad
1 Psychatog

1 Sensei's Divining Top
1 Evolution Charm
1 Annul
1 Mystical Teachings
1 Mystical Tutor
1 Repeal
1 Merchant Scroll
1 Negate
1 Hinder
1 Mind Twist
1 Life from the Loam
1 Bitterblossom
1 Impulse
1 Slaughter Pact
1 Ad Nauseam
1 Serum Visions
1 Arcane Denial
1 Portent
1 Echoing Truth
1 Ancestral Vision
1 Vampiric Tutor
1 Bant Charm
1 Counterspell
1 Sol Ring
1 Azorious Signet
1 Dimir Signet
1 Simic Signet
1 Duress
1 Cunning Wish
1 Path to Exile
1 Ancient Grudge
1 Condescend
1 Muddle the Mixture
1 Brainstorm
1 Ponder
1 Engineered Explosives
1 Misdirection
1 Remand
1 Thirst for Knowledge
1 Force of Will
1 Swords to Plowshares
1 Force Spike
1 Fact or Fiction
1 Gifts Ungiven
1 Thoughtseize
1 Telling Time
1 Pongify
1 Pyrite Spellbomb
1 Think Twice
1 Sleight of Hand
1 Disrupt

[SIDEBOARD]

1 Forbid
1 Ghastly Demise
1 Esper Charm
1 Dominate
1 Capsize
1 Krosan Grip
1 Pact of Negation
1 Rushing River
1 Oxidize
1 Teferi's Response

This deck plays quite similarly to the way the GAT deck played in Vintage before the restrictions of Gush, Ponder, et al. Basically, you play cheap spells, draw lots of cards, find your business spells, play a threat, protection it and kill them with the one guy.

One of the deadliest plays is to just Mystical/Vampiric Tutor for Ad Nauseam, draw about 12 cards and just win right there. You have a bit of a Trinket Mage toolbox available that can fetch Sensei's Divining Top, Pyrite Spellbomb (removal for pesky utility creatures), Engineered Explosives (set to 0 for killing of tokens), and the Tree of Tales in case you need to fix mana for Life from the Loam. As with all 1 on 1 EDH decks, this has both Strip Mine and Wasteland in there, and you can easily stomp your opponent with a quick Vendilion Clique + Strip Mine/Wasteland + Life from the Loam lock. You could also get a ridiculous hand of Bitterblossom and counterspells and win from there as well.

The sideboard is just some spells I thought could come in useful whenever I have Cunning Wish. Forbid and Capsize are there just to lock an opponent out; either one will work fine. Pact of Negation is usually the most wished for, just so you can be the offensive player. Ghastly Demise is just an efficient kill, Esper Charm in case you're low on cards or there's an annoying Zur player you're facing. Oxidize against Arcum Dagsson. Etc. etc.

Please try the deck and give any thoughts to this. If any mods are reading, I hope you take a good look at this and think again about having a separate banlist or slight change in rules for 1-v-1.

EDIT:

For a while, I had Crucible of Worlds in this decklist in order to abuse Cephalid Coliseum, Strip Mine and Wasteland. Turns out, this was SO unnecessary, as each time I would play the lock on my opponent, I was already winning and way ahead anyway. Other times, I'd be holding it in my hand with no way to abuse it and I'd be like "Wow, how I wish this was a Brainstorm". This card *IS NOT* as powerful as most of you make it out to be.

My Intet, the Dreamer Decklist

Last edited by cmb_master on 2009-Apr-13 2:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Apr-13 2:33 am 

Maybe add Taurean Mauler, he is growing insanely fast in multiplayer.

This post is brought to you by the elders of the internet.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Apr-13 9:36 am 

This deck isn't for multiplayer.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Apr-16 5:11 am 

My opinion about your top4 ?

Sol ring should be banned for 1vs1. Indeed, it is in France. (as mana crypt is, obv)

Sol ring is a toss. Every deck can run it, and the first of the two players who puts it into play wins such a tempo that the game is over. If you're not convinced yet, you may add the fact that it (totally) breaks Braids or Augustin as generals.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Apr-19 4:15 pm 

Token wrote:
My opinion about your top4 ?

Sol ring should be banned for 1vs1. Indeed, it is in France. (as mana crypt is, obv)

Sol ring is a toss. Every deck can run it, and the first of the two players who puts it into play wins such a tempo that the game is over. If you're not convinced yet, you may add the fact that it (totally) breaks Braids or Augustin as generals.

I'm convinced it's good. But I also find that, sometimes I have it, and in this deck, sometimes I Sol Ring...into nothing. Rarely though. So, although strong, you need the proper gas to exploit it.

The top 4 is great, I think. I was actually expecting more blue decks at the top, but I've played against Braids and it can be really annoying (Entomb a Nether Spirit?) I actually considered playing in this by playing a mono blue Vendilion Clique list I had talked about before, but the work load from school prevented me from doing so.

My Intet, the Dreamer Decklist

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Apr-20 8:09 am 

In my area Erayo remains the top deck, followed very near by Braids and Zur. I don't see your deck having a chance against Erayo flipping turn one or two, but against Zur it should prove very efficient.

However, Sharuum decks are getting better and better as Alara block expansions are coming out one after another, it is now often able to play his whole hand on turn two or three (despite Sol Ring and Mana Crypt being banned in France), putting combo pieces together very fast. Trygon Predator seems too slow, but Annul, Oxydize and Ancient Grudge are probably worth it. I'll try to share a good Sharuum list soon, if we may think about it.

I really like your deck, but maybe adding a Null Rod could get you an autowin against some matchups (Sharuum, Arcum and sometimes Erayo), especially if you can tutor it fast (Vampiric/Demonic/Enlightened).

Offline Profile