[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
MTG Commander/Elder Dragon Highlander • View topic - Why Vendilion Clique has got to go.

Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2020-Jan-18 7:47 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Why Vendilion Clique has got to go.
AgePosted: 2011-Feb-10 3:43 pm 

I retract any and all statements I make, and henceforth shall only TROLL as accordance with 94teen's accusations.

Good day.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Feb-11 12:16 pm 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Mar-07 2:23 am 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Mar-18 5:32 pm 

Wouldn't be a very solid general to beat Clique?

Black will give you access to Darkblast, Thoughtseize, Duress, Bitterblossom, Demonic Tutor, Vampiric Tutor, Mind Twist, Night of Souls Betrayal, The Abyss, and other good control mirror cards/answers.

Your general has flash and is harder to kill. I'm not sure if a Clique deck could beat turn 1 Bitterblossom.

Kitten

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Mar-19 1:14 am 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Mar-30 10:00 pm 

Yes, Wydwen seems like a good choice to beat Clique, but it seems awfully weak against anything else doesn't it?

I collect misprints and other examples of Magic's history. I'm especially interested in Alternate 4th Edition, Artist Proofs of Legends cards, and good misprints. See my buy list at MOTL if you have anything like that.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Mar-31 9:06 am 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Mar-31 11:47 am 

Without having played either deck personally, I don't see Isamaru giving Clique fits of terror. Bounce + Tuck seems like it should get the job done. They play Emerge Unscathed? Fine. Does Isamaru have as many protection instants as Clique has bounce spells? I feel like Isamaru would usually wind up on the bottom before he deals 21.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Mar-31 1:49 pm 

Honestly, if you're gonna go the "protection" route, seems like he'd be a better choice than Isamaru.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Mar-31 10:24 pm 

Seriously though, even the poor fox has very few options, seeing as how the Clique plays about 35 counterpells, most of which cost two or less...

I would gladly play against Isamaru. Equipment is really a joke, and since Clique should NEVER pass the turn with sideways lands, you have to save mana to protect yourself. You have to either play your permanents or wait and hope you need your instants. Essentially, a Clique deck that plays sorcery speed spells is doing it wrong. I don't see how Mom or Jitte, or Condemn even matters to this deck. The first two are just silly really, and you should never get a Condemn to resolve.

As far as Erayo goes, again, Clique is full of one and two cost counters. Unless Erayo flips before my second land drop, I would not be remotely worried about him... And once I get him tucked, I'm golden. The problem Erayo has is that it is forced to play a lot of really mediocre cards to speed up his conversion...

A well tuned Clique deck should be able to dominate almost anything. It is the nature of the deck. It has no sorcery speed concerns, so it just packs in 35 counters... A full third of the deck is counterspells. At least.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Apr-01 8:39 am 

From what I understand, Clique is only dominating in 1-on-1- it's basically a sophisticated discard general, with the multiplayer weaknesses that implies. (Also, doesn't the French banlist have something to do with this? A lot of fast mana artifacts are banned, making other crippling generals (Erayo, Teferi) relatively weaker.)

I think a well-tuned Thrun decklist could demolish the Clique, but nobody in my area plays it, so I have no one to test against. Sad panda.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Apr-01 7:36 pm 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Apr-01 8:25 pm 

Thrun has troll shroud and can't be countered. Evacuation would do the trick because you could bounce your own clique and then recast it tucking the Troll. I'm assuming Clique runs Merchant Scroll, and Mystical Tutor if it knows whats good for it.

On a side note:

Druid/Ooze combo is really starting to dominate the format. Considering it's a solid turn 3-5 kill, a tuned list with lots of protection and disruption could give Clique a real run for its money. The deck is super fast and degenerate so who knows.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Apr-01 8:35 pm 

If Teferi goes first; it beats Clique (as long as Clique doesn't have a Thwart, FOW or Daze in hand.)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Apr-02 10:54 am 

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next