Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Apr-18 6:53 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Nov-29 10:56 am 

cmb_master wrote:
There is very little removal that takes care of this trio.

It has 1 toughness and isn't black. It gets completely owned by Desert.

I agree that it's a great choice for General, but it's hardly unsolvable.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Nov-29 2:26 pm 

start by drawing Desert

then try to get past his wall of counterspells/tricks

that's what he means by "very little removal"

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Nov-29 2:46 pm 

Can you honestly say that you would play Desert in your deck? Yeah, I don't think so. You just got lawyered. The subset of removal that can deal with it at his point is blue bounce (Echoing Truth, Boomerang), red burn (I'm not listing the list here), black kill (Dark Banishing, Terror, Devour in Shadow, Snuff Out, etc.; of which, most are terrible except for an even smaller subset), and Swords to Plowshares. There is no other card that you could play that you would actually put into your deck, and if you try to mulligan down to an answer to the general, you might just lose from card advantage late game.

Not unsolvable, but the idea that you can deal with it is merely an illusion.

My Intet, the Dreamer Decklist

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Nov-30 2:50 pm 
EDH Rules Committee

Counterspell?

Also, in 1v1, you should be playing plenty of cheap efficient answers. All players should be. If you're relying solely on your general to win you the game, it will fail sometimes.

Finally, blue control decks, despite popular belief, can't counter everything.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Nov-30 3:40 pm 

Ban Ki-moon wrote:
Counterspell?

Also, in 1v1, you should be playing plenty of cheap efficient answers. All players should be. If you're relying solely on your general to win you the game, it will fail sometimes.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Nov-30 10:08 pm 

With the off-chance that you play against another counterspell control deck, you can simply wait until you have the extra 2 mana for the counterspell. I didn't say that Vendilion Clique would be the only threat. I would still play a few threats. Like I said, I would play Trinket Mage. However, the secondary win condition would probably be just Tinker for Darksteel Colossus. I doubt this will ever be necessary, as Vendilion Clique beatdown is just so effective.

In terms of your cheap removal answer, yes, I know that exists, obviously. Way to point out the obvious. However, like I said, it's a very small subset of spells. Your expected turn that you get your answer is on average much longer than turn 3. My Vendilion Clique is there every time. Can you honestly say that you will have the answer every time? Yeah, I didn't think so. Lawyered. Also, say you do kill it once. I will simply wait the two turns for my land drops, and it starts all over again.

If you don't understand this concept, just look at Randy Buehler's counterspell control deck from many years ago. His only win conditions were Stalking Stones and Rainbow Efreet. It's similar to that.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Nov-30 11:11 pm 

Forest, Crop Rotation -> Maze of Ith, Go.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Dec-01 5:35 am 

Tolarian Academy --> Strip Mine

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Dec-01 9:58 am 

cmb_master wrote:
Can you honestly say that you will have the answer every time?

Blue General: Barrin = answer
Black General: Visara = answer
Red General: Kumano = answer
White General: Mageta = answer

So basically my green general and my r/u/b general don't have answers every time in a duel, but green will out-race you easy and r/u/b runs something like 10 creature removal cards. Yes, I can honestly say I will have the answer every time and if you outrace an accelerated silvos(turn 4-5) with bounce spells you deserve to win. Plus you'd be beating my worst duel deck and if I drew my hunter you'd auto-lose.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Dec-01 3:37 pm 

warble wrote:

These are very slow answers that will get countered or otherwise dealt with. I am quite sure that he will have plenty of countermagic. Playing one spell a turn isn't a solution at all.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Dec-01 3:39 pm 

Jeyal wrote:
Forest, Crop Rotation -> Maze of Ith, Go.

cmb_master wrote:
Tolarian Academy --> Strip Mine

Trinket Mage into Pithing Needle, enjoy

(yes I have seen Pithing Needle played in EDH)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Dec-01 9:23 pm 

I will play my Dosan the falling leaf deck and laugh at you

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Dec-02 12:34 am 

Doraemon wrote:
warble wrote:

These are very slow answers that will get countered or otherwise dealt with. I am quite sure that he will have plenty of countermagic. Playing one spell a turn isn't a solution at all.

Uhh...3 of those decks are aggro and the other is a MONOBLUE deck that has a general that costs the same mana as his general. Sorry I apparently didn't provide enough information...the 3 decks will race his sorry blue deck's butt(and have 1 answer per turn) and if he's playing enough counterspells to counter 1 time per turn for what is it 7 turns...well if my aggro decks can't win in 7 turns...they should be decomissioned as aggro decks...because they apparently suck at what they want to do. As for a monoblue matchup, I'll take all of the best blue cards and artifacts over a bunch of counterspells anyday. My decks aren't even engineered to break the format badly and they'd still have no problem taking out a 3/1 flying general in a duel...and if they didn't bother to take out the 3/1 there's likely a world of hurt coming towards his face every turn.

Ban Ki-moon wrote:

So true...especially when they don't have draw power because the have to play a counterspell every turn. I mean...my turn 8 with the red deck probably would be lightning bolt, incinerate, kumano or something retarded and if he counterspells all 3 after countering kumano three times already...fak man he deserves to win that'd be ridiculous! Haha or maybe I'd use my cycling direct damage to kill his general just to mess with him...hahahahaha totally slipped my mind that I actually have spells in that deck that CAN'T be counterspelled at all.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Generals
AgePosted: 2010-Sep-26 9:20 am 

If built correctly and with some money Erayo can go off turn 2 or 3 with counters backing it and with the capability to play an enchantment that makes you not able to cast more then one spell a turn...seems banworthy, but hey the guy that was playing me thought it was a good time.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Generals
AgePosted: 2010-Sep-26 7:19 pm 

pyroclown wrote:
If built correctly and with some money Erayo can go off turn 2 or 3 with counters backing it and with the capability to play an enchantment that makes you not able to cast more then one spell a turn...seems banworthy, but hey the guy that was playing me thought it was a good time.

If you are playing 1v1 EDH then what exactly are you expecting?

That's not ban-worthy, that's the spirit of EDH. Three-card combo involving the combat phase? Awesome.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next