Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Apr-22 2:04 am

Post subject: Official rules for dueling
AgePosted: 2008-May-05 6:25 pm 

I know the format is intended mostly for multi player and the rules reflect that, but it is also pretty popular for 1v1, especially online, so I propose there be a set of additional rules for 1 on 1.

Each player starts at 30 life.
Each player gets one free big deck mulligan, then may Paris mulligan as usual.
Rune-Tail, Kitsune Ascendant flips when it's controller's life total is 45 or higher.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-May-06 9:33 am 

I use 40 life 21 general damage to lose, free mulligans until you get a 3-5 land hand to keep. And that's basically always worked for me. I have like uhh 50-100 EDH duels under my belt and it's always worked.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-May-06 11:01 am 

I too play with 40/21, but if the starting life total would be changed to 30, is there going to be a proportional change on the General's lethal damage amount?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-May-06 3:28 pm 

warble wrote:
I use 40 life 21 general damage to lose, free mulligans until you get a 3-5 land hand to keep. And that's basically always worked for me. I have like uhh 50-100 EDH duels under my belt and it's always worked.
Well the thing about mulliganning like that is that it rewards both bad deck building and combo decks, by allowing you to skimp on land and mulligan over and over until you either get a hand that will let you combo out or one that will let you hit your first few land drops
Doraemon wrote:
I too play with 40/21, but if the starting life total would be changed to 30, is there going to be a proportional change on the General's lethal damage amount?
That rule always seemed to me just a way to get through arbitrarily large life gain, and I don't think there's a problem with it, bear in mind these are just my suggestions and if anyone else has any they're more than welcome to make them known.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-May-06 4:43 pm 

I like the idea of slightly different rules for duels, but I do believe that they would need to be fully playtested.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-May-06 8:10 pm 

First person in a duel to pack up their stuff and go draft when it starts wins?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-May-17 2:50 pm 

I'm in favor of the starting life being lowered for duels. Aggro is fun to play and fun to play against, so allowing it some more room in the format seems beneficial.

21 damage is good. No need to change it.

I don't really care about Rune-Tail.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-May-19 7:00 am 

IMHO don't go down below 40 life please. We have decent swingy matchups and an EDH matchup without some swings for each player is...imho...a failed matchup... My games don't typically last less than an hour even in a duel...because my EDH decks all hate to...win...LoL...

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-May-19 9:16 am 

Beej wrote:
I like the idea of slightly different rules for duels, but I do believe that they would need to be fully playtested.

"Back in the day", when we were all playtesting different variations, we did play with a starting life total of 30 for about a year or so. And, 1 on 1 play did make up many of the games we played.

30 life does work extremely well- not only in dueling play, but in multiplayer as well. In multiplayer, we found it was a bit easier to knock out a problematic player who was starting to dominate the board. In duels, it does make traditional aggro strategies easier. One notable disadvantage is that 21 general damage was irrelevant, even moreso than it is now. If one ever did win with general damage, they were in a position to deal the extra 9 damage anyway.

I did prefer 30 life, but that's not the way that the rules went, which I respect.

All that being said, I would strongly, strongly prefer that dueling/team and multiplayer formats keep the same starting life total, purely for casual reasons. While the two formats' strategy and tempo varies, decks are at least "compatible" between them. Players don't need "two boxes" of decks. Reducing the life total of 1-1 play is not necessary and simply widens that gap. 40 life 1-1 aggro strategies have definitely been successful- they simply haven't involved a string of 1, 2 and 3 drops. Perhaps in a different thread...

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Official rules for dueling
AgePosted: 2008-May-19 9:18 am 

RickoniX wrote:

What the hey... when did that get taken out of the rules?

Yes, I definitely agree with your mulligan suggestion... which I've never stopped using. :)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Jun-06 5:04 pm 

40/21 works swell for duals.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Jun-06 6:13 pm 

Philatio wrote:
40 gives both players enormous life buffers and really hurts not only aggro, but any deck where you plan on swinging in for the win, because it gives your opponent a LOT of turns to come back/stabilize.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Jun-06 6:27 pm 

RickoniX wrote:
Philatio wrote:
40 gives both players enormous life buffers and really hurts not only aggro, but any deck where you plan on swinging in for the win, because it gives your opponent a LOT of turns to come back/stabilize.

Your mileage may vary. I've never had trouble with 40. Duals end via 21 often, or aggro includes land d, or something. My decks aren't even tuned for heads up, and I've done beating and been beaten on.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Official rules for dueling
AgePosted: 2008-Jun-07 9:16 pm 
EDH Rules Committee

TigTigger wrote:
RickoniX wrote:

What the hey... when did that get taken out of the rules?

Never, to my knowledge. :P A single bonus/free mulligan is used almost universally and should have been in the rules all along... not sure when it got removed (or maybe it's been missing all along and no one noticed).

Strange... I'll look into fixing that.

As for dueling rules... I'd agree that the same lifetotal is probably a good idea, for clarity's sake... and I agree with Phil that aggro can beat down on 40, but it has to adapt its strategy somewhat for the higher curve/life total. Hasty generals, Geddon effects and some permission to deal with the Wrath can be enough... with only one opponent you don't have to lock them out for very long against a couple of 5-poewr beaters.

Nevertheless, I'm curious about other suggestions for dueling rules.

Edit: Yes, I've been following the other Dueling threads, on and off, but there seemed to be a lot of knee-jerk reactions and everyone grumbling about their own personal least favourite card ;) Still watching though.

G

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Jun-08 9:24 am 

Using the regular rules, I've found dueling in EDH to be fun. Actually, after a friend and I scrubbed at regionals we got out the EDH decks and dueled a bit. His Enduring Ideal deck (general: Karona) got me pretty good most of the time.

Check it out sometime.

Offline Profile