Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2018-Dec-12 9:33 pm

Post subject: And the Tide Rushes In (Muldrotha)
AgePosted: 2018-Dec-06 12:00 pm 

(In case you're wondering how two charts showed up in rapid succession, blame my uncertainty as to what I'd actually enjoy playing...)

I'll freely admit that I'm not entirely sure what I want to do with Muldrotha. There's remnants of a "use my opponents' toys" theme in there (I recently removed Mindleech Mass from here), a nascent EtB theme (see the new addition of Noxious Gearhulk), and a nascent countering arsenal (see the new additions of Devious Cover-Up and Failed Inspection. I think right now my main concern is making sure I don't overload on self-mill/self-discard/self-sacrifice.

COMMANDER

Muldrotha, the Gravetide

CREATURES (31)

Abomination of Gudul
Acidic Slime
Archaeomancer
Curator of Mysteries
Diluvian Primordial
Eternal Witness
Farhaven Elf
Glen Elendra Archmage
Hostage Taker
House Guildmage
Lotleth Troll
Lurking Informant
Murder of Crows
Murkfiend Liege
Nightveil Specter
Noxious Gearhulk
Nyx Weaver
Pelt Collector
Poison-Tip Archer
Prized Amalgam
Puppeteer Clique
Ravenous Harpy
Reaper of the Wilds
River Kelpie
Sakura-Tribe Elder
Sultai Soothsayer
Surge Mare
Trygon Predator
Undercity Necrolisk
Underrealm Lich
Vigorspore Wurm

ENCHANTMENTS (15)

As Foretold
Bounty of the Luxa
Chamber of Manipulation (Too bad it doesn't also give haste, but still good for defense and blocker robbing...)
Deadbridge Chant
Deathreap Ritual
Gutter Grime
Journey to Eternity (->Atzal, Cave of Eternity)
Mist of Stagnation
Necrogenesis
Perilous Forays
Seal of Doom
Seal of Primordium
Unfulfilled Desires
Vessel of Nascency
Zendikar Resurgent

ARTIFACTS (4)

Commander's Sphere
Helm of Awakening
Horizon Spellbomb
Sol Ring

PLANESWALKERS (1)

Kiora, Master of the Depths

SORCERIES (8)

Cultivate
Extract from Darkness
Primal Growth
Spitting Image
Urban Evolution
Verdant Confluence
Vigor Mortis
Yawgmoth's Vile Offering

INSTANTS (2)

Assassin's Trophy
Grisly Salvage

LANDS (38)

6*Island
6*Forest
7*Swamp
Alchemist's Refuge
Breeding Pool
Command Tower
Drowned Catacomb
Exotic Orchard
Flooded Grove
Grim Backwoods
Hinterland Harbor
Nephalia Drownyard
Opulent Palace
Overgrown Tomb
Sunken Ruins
Temple of Deceit
Temple of Malady
Temple of Mystery
Thran Quarry
Twilight Mire
Watery Grave
Woodland Cemetery

Usual concerns about draw and ramp, mind.

EDIT: Quite a few changes, mostly from realizing that one does not want all that many sorceries and/or instants with Muldrotha, even with ways to recur them. Hopefully I've rectified that, even with eight sorceries in here.

Last edited by Skyknight on 2018-Dec-07 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: And the Tide Rushes In (Muldrotha)
AgePosted: 2018-Dec-07 8:21 am 

...by coincidence, I'm also working on a Muldrotha deck with a minor "steal-your-stuff" theme. I definitely agree with you on figuring out what to do being a tough part of the build; Muldrotha lends itself to Sultai goodstuff, and when you're in the strongest colors in the game it's kinda overwhelming. I looked at a lot of lists before I started building, and I didn't really see a lot that I liked, so I tried it more or less from scratch.

Few thoughts on my games so far:

- Keeping the mana curve low is really good. The deck's way more powerful when you can untap and play 3-4 cards out of the 'yard. (A lot of lists seemed choked on too many 5-6+ mana cards). Aether Spellbomb and other cheap, cantrip-y things have been great for me

- It's way easier to run out out multiple cards a turn if there's a balance between card types, and multi-type creatures are really valuable. Hypnotic Siren and Sylvok Replica have been really good

- The mana's almost too good. I need to re-work my lands, 'cause I don't need too many duals/tri-lands... I'd rather have more basics so I can keep pumping Myriad Landscape and Blighted Woodland every turn.

The deck is SUPER FUN. I'll try to post my list in a while... it's something I'll keep tuning for months to come.

P.S. Mists of Stagnation is kinda a lot of mana, but it's a nice find. I might steal it.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: And the Tide Rushes In (Muldrotha)
AgePosted: 2018-Dec-07 8:41 am 

I notice that, if EDHRec is anything to go by, Mist of Stagnation (singular, mind!) is barely known, period. Only 145 decks record it so far (well, it'll be 146 once I get around to putting this thing on TappedOut), and just 7 out of 1162 Muldrotha decks.

At least I know I'm not a complete outlier from those seven.

I'll definitely keep a closer eye on creatures that are part enchantment/artifact, though.

EDIT: Hmm, noticed possible stickiness with the Mist. It says you untap a permanent for each card in your graveyard, but doesn't restrict you to your permanents. It's true you can target an already untapped permanent (like the Mist), but there's a question of whether you'd have to extend to other players' permanents if there's enough cards in your graveyard.

Although this does open up political possibilities...

Offline Profile