Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Aug-23 12:04 am

Post subject: Kykar, Wind's Fury
AgePosted: 2019-Aug-11 1:02 pm 

I saw this card and it got my Johnny juices flowing after 11 years for some reason. I looked around and started with the MTGGoldfish budget builds. I had heard about Furnace Celebration randomly the week before, and thought that would be a fun place to start. A bunch of tokens sac to Ashnod's Altar and start pinging with FC. I am going with more of a utilize tokens for pinging in different ways rather than brute force, with a Storm secondary plan. I am trying to keep it below $60, and I am definitely keeping it casual. I think the shell is good but it can definitely be improved quite a bit. Thank you in advance for any help and feedback.

Commander
1 Kykar, Wind's Fury

Creatures (9)
1 Goblin Electromancer
1 Gold Myr
1 Iron Myr
1 Silver Myr
1 Young Pyromancer
1 Mentor of the Meek
1 Murmuring Mystic
1 Talrand, Sky Summoner
1 Docent of Perfection

Planeswalkers (1)
1 Saheeli, Sublime Artificer

Spells (35)
1 Crash Through
1 Expedite
1 Faithless Looting
1 Gitaxian Probe
1 Magmatic Insight
1 Obsessive Search
1 Overmaster
1 Ponder
1 Renegade Tactics
1 Rile
1 Shared Discovery
1 Spark of Creativity
1 Spell Pierce
1 Swords to Plowshares
1 Warlord's Fury
1 Battle Hymn
1 Cathartic Reunion
1 Disenchant
1 Dramatic Reversal
1 Fists of Flame
1 Izzet Charm
1 Frantic Search
1 Mogg Salvage
1 Shreds of Sanity
1 Winged Words
1 Chain Reaction
1 Deep Analysis
1 Empty the Warrens
1 Mystic Retrieval
1 Ignite Memories
1 Temporal Fissure
1 Time Wipe
1 Mind's Desire
1 Dig Through Time
1 Treasure Cruise

Artifacts (11)
1 Sol Ring
1 Azorius Signet
1 Boros Signet
1 Carnage Altar
1 Corrupted Grafstone
1 Izzet Signet
1 Talisman of Conviction
1 Talisman of Creativity
1 Ashnod's Altar
1 Commander's Sphere
1 Jeskai Banner

Enchantments (8)
1 Dragon Mantle
1 Goblin Bombardment
1 Impact Tremors
1 Furnace Celebration
1 Jeskai Ascendancy
1 Bident of Thassa
1 Kyren Negotiations
1 Martyr's Bond

Lands (35)
4 Plains
9 Island
9 Mountain
1 Azorius Guildgate
1 Boros Guildgate
1 Command Tower
1 Evolving Wilds
1 Highland Lake
1 Izzet Guildgate
1 Meandering River
1 Mystic Monastery
1 Stone Quarry
1 Swiftwater Cliffs
1 Terramorphic Expanse
1 Tranquil Cove
1 Wind-Scarred Crag

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Kykar, Wind's Fury
AgePosted: 2019-Aug-13 1:23 am 

Has anyone tried this? What have your results been? Are there any cards that can benefit this concept? It seems a lot more interesting to me than just make tokens/go face as a main strategy.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Aug-13 7:58 am 

I think Kykar got a bit lost in the shuffle when the Jeskai Commander 2019 deck got spoiled. And the budget restriction is a bit tricky too... some of the cards that would be ideal in this build are pricey (like Purphoros, God of the Forge, or The Locust God).

That aside, I think the core concept of budget spellslinger is solid, and this list is something like 60% of the way there. Here's a couple tweaks that might help:

First, I wouldn't run the mana creatures (Electromancer, or the Myr)... there are plenty of other mana sources to run. I'd rather have one of the other 2-mana artifact rocks like Coldsteel Heart, Fellwar Stone, one of the Fire Diamond cycle, or one of the Pearl Medallion cycle.

I'm also a big fan of the artifacts that drop lands into play, like Wayfarer's Bauble or Surveyor's Scope.

Next, this list has a lot of low-impact cantrips like Rile... it looks like you might've started working from a Feather list. I'd prioritize cantrips that give better card selection effects over a different minor effect. So I wouldn't bother with cards like Rile, Crash Through, or Expedite until I had already maxed out on effects like Preordain, Serum Visions, Omen, or Telling Time. I'd also look at cards like Mission Briefing or Recoup, to help the list recycle its best cards.

Then, I'd take another pass at the mana base. The mana requirements for this deck aren't too demanding, and the Guildgates and life gains lands could be basics. If you need the duals, I'd run the Ravnica bounce lands instead (like Azorius Chancery), or some of the cheap creature-lands like Needle Spire.

The last main tweaks would be to double check some of your cards and see if you can wring some extra synergy out of your picks. For example, something like Hour of Reckoning or Martial Coupmight get you better results than Time Wipe or Chain Reaction. Cards like Clash of Realities and Ribbons of the Reikai get you some extra spirit tech.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Aug-13 4:32 pm 

In my recent playtesting of Kykar, Wind's Fury I've managed to draw two-thirds of my deck within the first few turns which got me into running Laboratory Maniac, Jace, Wielder of Mysteries, and Approach of the Second Sun as potential win cons. I also stumbled upon utilizing Swans of Bryn Argoll and Spiteful Sliver with Goblin Bombardment for more card advantage or to deal damage to opponents. Impact Tremors might be better If you're needing more blockers around.

As for as the Jeskai Commander 2019 Pre-Cons go, the only real tech you want to be running is Elsha of the Infinite for being able to cast your Sorcery cantrips at Instant speed while Thalia's Geistcaller creates a token engine whenever you Flashback spells in your graveyard. I would strongly consider running draw replacement abilities with Obstinate Familiar and Tomorrow, Azami's Familiar let alone Sphinx's Revelation If Nekusar, the Mindrazer is a problem.

Also no Blade of the Bloodchief or Skullclamp? Anointed Procession and Song of the Worldsoul are a must since it doubles the amount of Spirits you produce with Kykar though Kindred Discovery hurts more than helps since the draw is mandatory. You also might want to look into running more instant / sorcery recursion for more value with Kykar such as Past in Flames, Mystic Retrieval, Call to Mind, etc. X spells such as Epic Experiment and Aurelia's Fury aren't bad either.

"Stax is the hero we need but don't deserve. Too many people just play dumb stuff and often games devolve into "who does their dumb stuff first". People essentially just goldfishing. Great social format you got here Sheldon." - illakunsaa

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Aug-14 5:46 am 

Kemev wrote:
I think Kykar got a bit lost in the shuffle when the Jeskai Commander 2019 deck got spoiled. And the budget restriction is a bit tricky too... some of the cards that would be ideal in this build are pricey (like Purphoros, God of the Forge, or The Locust God).

It isn't a hard budget, just keeps me from going ham since I don't know how frequent I'll be playing. The Locust God could be worth an extra splurge though

Quote:
That aside, I think the core concept of budget spellslinger is solid, and this list is something like 60% of the way there. Here's a couple tweaks that might help:

First, I wouldn't run the mana creatures (Electromancer, or the Myr)... there are plenty of other mana sources to run. I'd rather have one of the other 2-mana artifact rocks like Coldsteel Heart, Fellwar Stone, one of the Fire Diamond cycle, or one of the Pearl Medallion cycle.

I'm also a big fan of the artifacts that drop lands into play, like Wayfarer's Bauble or Surveyor's Scope.

Next, this list has a lot of low-impact cantrips like Rile... it looks like you might've started working from a Feather list. I'd prioritize cantrips that give better card selection effects over a different minor effect. So I wouldn't bother with cards like Rile, Crash Through, or Expedite until I had already maxed out on effects like Preordain, Serum Visions, Omen, or Telling Time. I'd also look at cards like Mission Briefing or Recoup, to help the list recycle its best cards.

These all totally make sense. It was based of an MTGGoldfish Kykar budget build as a jumping off point. Those are changes I will almost definitely be making.

Quote:
Then, I'd take another pass at the mana base. The mana requirements for this deck aren't too demanding, and the Guildgates and life gains lands could be basics. If you need the duals, I'd run the Ravnica bounce lands instead (like Azorius Chancery), or some of the cheap creature-lands like Needle Spire.

The mana base needs a big tweak. I just want to see where the rest of the deck lands before getting in it too deep.

Quote:
The last main tweaks would be to double check some of your cards and see if you can wring some extra synergy out of your picks. For example, something like Hour of Reckoning or Martial Coupmight get you better results than Time Wipe or Chain Reaction. Cards like Clash of Realities and Ribbons of the Reikai get you some extra spirit tech.

Love the synergy picks. I am going to dig through and update the list. Thanks for all the great insight!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Aug-14 7:54 am 

Card Slinger J wrote:
In my recent playtesting of Kykar, Wind's Fury I've managed to draw two-thirds of my deck within the first few turns which got me into running Laboratory Maniac, Jace, Wielder of Mysteries, and Approach of the Second Sun as potential win cons. I also stumbled upon utilizing Swans of Bryn Argoll and Spiteful Sliver with Goblin Bombardment for more card advantage or to deal damage to opponents. Impact Tremors might be better If you're needing more blockers around.

As for as the Jeskai Commander 2019 Pre-Cons go, the only real tech you want to be running is Elsha of the Infinite for being able to cast your Sorcery cantrips at Instant speed while Thalia's Geistcaller creates a token engine whenever you Flashback spells in your graveyard. I would strongly consider running draw replacement abilities with Obstinate Familiar and Tomorrow, Azami's Familiar let alone Sphinx's Revelation If Nekusar, the Mindrazer is a problem.

Also no Blade of the Bloodchief or Skullclamp? Anointed Procession and Song of the Worldsoul are a must since it doubles the amount of Spirits you produce with Kykar though Kindred Discovery hurts more than helps since the draw is mandatory. You also might want to look into running more instant / sorcery recursion for more value with Kykar such as Past in Flames, Mystic Retrieval, Call to Mind, etc. X spells such as Epic Experiment and Aurelia's Fury aren't bad either.

Thank for all the suggestions. A bunch of those get me too far out of budget for now. Skullclamp is outside the budget right now for what it does, but it is amazing. Blade of the Bloodchief will be in the prelim build for sure and Epic Experiment. Anointed Procession would be the first to go in if I put more money in it, or if I trim enough to fit the current budget. Thank you for all the ideas and imput

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Aug-18 3:42 pm 

I recently tried out the Bishop of Wings combo that's popular in Jeskai Standard yet it's incredibly fragile in EDH / Commander, so I decided to add it into the deck with Zubera's. The goal is to get out Arcane Adaptation / Xenograft naming Zubera or a card that turns all your creatures into Zubera's with either Floating-Dream Zubera, Ember-Fist Zubera, or Silent-Chant Zubera on the battlefield. Sacrifice one of those three Zubera's with Kykar, Wind's Fury to create a delayed triggered ability whenever you sacrifice the rest of your Zubera Spirits with Kykar.

I haven't gotten around to playtesting this yet though it's something I've always thought about doing with Kykar. You may need to run more recursion to get the Zubera's back such as Sevinne's Reclamation, Ajani, Adversary of Tyrants for his -2, Return to the Ranks, and/or Second Sunrise / Faith's Reward. Banefire and Kaervek's Torch are decent win cons against Blue Control yet they seem too straight forward for some reason. This concept is still a work in progress as I'm still trying to find as much synergy within the deck as possible based on what's available.

"Stax is the hero we need but don't deserve. Too many people just play dumb stuff and often games devolve into "who does their dumb stuff first". People essentially just goldfishing. Great social format you got here Sheldon." - illakunsaa

Offline Profile