Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-14 9:31 am

Post subject: Re: Bad Dreams Come True (Intet The Dreamer)
AgePosted: 2015-Jul-01 9:29 pm 

Magnetic North wrote:
Sinis wrote:
I don't have much to add, except that I am still very much enjoying this thread, and one Dragon's journey to somewhere.

Thanks, hopefully the journey is enlightening. I certainly won't pretend this is the ideal deck, but it gets closer to where I want it as I go.
All decks are ideal, as long as everyone is having fun ;)

Quote:
Any suggestions for how to beef things up?

At the risk of sounding arms race-y, have you reconsidered Eldrazi? I saw you took them out because of Stormtide Leviathan. I feel like few of your guys are *major* threats. Cards like Flameblast Dragon are really good, but they won't end a game. Two-headed Dragon is probably the least threatening dragon for cost I can think of. Few of your creatures have a real capacity to be a monumental threat. Utvara Hellkite is one; it will close out a game if unanswered. You need more things like that; something like Avenger of Zendikar can really kill a table also.

This was kind of why I thought your building around Stormtide Leviathan might be holding you back. There are a lot of non-flying creature-based threats in green.

If I had to guess, I would imagine your deck plays well to answering threats, but has trouble closing out games. One of the things I did in my Intet deck was play Titan's Revenge. The topdeck manipulation ensured successful clashes, and the spell itself could clobber players once you had enough lands out. I had played it in the era of Primeval Titan, so it's possible that kind of ramp just doesn't exist anymore. Something like Kessig Wolf Run would also work.

Edit to add: Maybe a walker if you think you can hit their ultimate? Kiora, the Crashing Wave or Garruk, Caller of Beasts can kill a table if you manage to get their ultimates off.

Follow me on Twitter: @generalspeak

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jul-03 3:06 am 

Sinis wrote:
At the risk of sounding arms race-y, have you reconsidered Eldrazi? I saw you took them out because of Stormtide Leviathan. I feel like few of your guys are *major* threats. Cards like Flameblast Dragon are really good, but they won't end a game.

I don't have any of the big ones, and I'm hesitant to buy them. That is the other problem with the deck is that I no longer want to spend much money on Magic, considering how infrequently I get to play. Even if it's ten bux, I'm like, "Will this be better than an entire video game on sale that I can play when I can't play Magic?"

Sinis wrote:
Two-headed Dragon is probably the least threatening dragon for cost I can think of.

This is pretty much true. I almost never play it, though I have been pleased with it when it hits the table. Its extra evasion is occasionally very relevant. I should really swap it out for Moltensteel Dragon, which I believe I already have.

It made me wonder what might beat Mahamati nowadays, and it turns out, a lot. Soul of Ravnica and Thousand Winds are strictly better, and there are bunches that are very very good too.

I should get a copy of Atarka, World Render as she can really close out games alone as well, must get answered, and has great synergy with Utvara as well as synergy with things that have synergy with them. Tyrant's Familiar might be nice too. Destructor Dragon could replace one of my bad removals, or just be in for midrange beats.

Quote:
Few of your creatures have a real capacity to be a monumental threat. Utvara Hellkite is one; it will close out a game if unanswered. You need more things like that; something like Avenger of Zendikar can really kill a table also.

I'm with you on the problem, but I don't know if I like the answer. Avenger is amazing, but its in every single deck, and I just don't care for it too much. Make an army, get wrathed. (My lack of wraths in these colors makes it tough to fight against, ironically enough.) For 7, I could get Chancellor of the Spires, Djinn Illuminatus, Foe-Razer Regent, Hornet Queen, or Sphinx Ambassador. None of them are as good as Avenger, but then again, they all also fly and do other things. Like, I could put Foe-Razer in there in place of a piece of removal, which is probably closer to the problem with the deck.

Quote:
This was kind of why I thought your building around Stormtide Leviathan might be holding you back. There are a lot of non-flying creature-based threats in green.

I dunno, I just looked at some lists of best green cards in EDH for the sake of comparison and ideas. Some are really good, like Genesis or Brutalizer Exarch, but they aren't exactly beaters. Some other things are already in the deck. Craterhoof Behemoth is one exception, though he is not a great fit here just yet. It also reminds me they keep banning some of the better ones, like Prime Time. :D

Quote:
Something like Kessig Wolf Run would also work.

Yeah, I need to stop being lazy and get one of these, especially with Tolaria West to tutor for it.

Sinis wrote:
Edit to add: Maybe a walker if you think you can hit their ultimate? Kiora, the Crashing Wave or Garruk, Caller of Beasts can kill a table if you manage to get their ultimates off.

They seem to be cheap so i will consider these. My current Jace really needs to go. He's just a single mini Fact or Fiction at sorcery speed.

The deck definitely needs more threats, but I don't really want the first step to be taking out an unblockable 8/8 that occasionally causes me to not die.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Aug-14 10:43 am 

OUT
Aftershock
Jace, Architect of Thought
Mulldrifter

Island

IN
Atarka, World Render
Shattering Spree
Stormbreath Dragon

Frontier Bivouac

Finally got the triple land. Jace, Archie Bunker was never as good as I hoped, and similarly with Mulldrifter, while I want draw, it just needs to be better than that. I am Aftershock's biggest defender, but the deck needs more mass removal, and Bramblecrush is like 99% superior in this deck. I put in Shattering Spree but that might become Savage Twister whenever I feel like taking out my cards. Otherwise, it's just more oomph, which the deck needs, but I think it is clear that this deck is going to be a control-type deck unless I really tear it apart.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Aug-27 1:02 pm 

I think I missed some changes at some point, but this is the end-of-summer tune up.

OUT
Chord of Calling
Constant Mists
Dreamstone Hedron
Moltensteel Dragon
Pongify
Roil Elemental
Shattering Spree
Sensei's Divining Top

Roil Elemental and Sensei's were the only tough cuts. (Exluding Pongify, see below)

IN
Deep Analysis
Devastation Tide
Disdainful Stroke
Hypersonic Dragon
Negate
Rapid Hybridization
Ryusei, the Falling Star
Savage Twister

Deep Analysis is in both to add draw and shore up the 4-mana spot to improve the curve. Devastation Tide and Savage Twister are a few of the last sweepers I haven't added already. Disdainful Stroke and Negate were to help the move towards a control deck. Negate might just be standing in for Swan Song for now. Ryusei, the Falling Star was out of the deck possibly due to a clerical error, and I only just remembered I had a Hypersonic Dragon. Finally, Rapid Hybridization replaces Pongify because I finally got tokens for most of the deck and there were Frog Mutant tokens but not Ape tokens. :D

Looking forward to seeing the changes in action.

Decklist as of 8/27/15:

Commander (1)
Intet, the Dreamer

Creatures (17)
Acidic Slime
Atarka, World Render
Consecrated Sphinx
Diluvian Primordial
Drift of Phantasms
Eternal Witness
Flameblast Dragon
Hellkite Charger
Hypersonic Dragon
Keiga, the Tide Star
Mercurial Chemister
Phyrexian Metamorph
Ryusei, the Falling Star
Stormbreath Dragon
Stormtide Leviathan
Terastodon
Utvara Hellkite

Sorceries (21)
Blasphemous Act
Bramblecrush
Bribery
Cultivate
Curse of the Swine
Deep Analysis
Devastation Tide
Knowledge Exploitation
Kodama's Reach
Molten Disaster
Rite of Replication
Savage Twister
Temporal Mastery
Time Spiral
Time Stretch
Time Warp
Tooth and Nail
Urban Evolution
Wash Out
Wheel of Fortune
Windfall

Instant (14)
Beast Within
Chaos Warp
Cyclonic Rift
Disdainful Stroke
Evacuation
Fact or Fiction
Grab the Reins
Krosan Grip
Muddle the Mixture
Mystical Tutor
Negate
Rapid Hybridization
Stroke of Genius
Worldly Tutor

Artifact (7)
Lightning Greaves
Nevinyrral's Disk
Oblivion Stone
Relic of Progenitus
Sol Ring
Thran Dynamo
Worn Powerstone

Enchantments (3)
Omniscience
Sylvan Library
Treachery

Planeswalkers (0)

Non-Basic Lands (31)
Breeding Pool
Cascade Bluffs
Command Tower
Desolate Lighthouse
Fire-Lit Thicket
Flooded Grove
Frontier Bivouac
Gruul Turf
Hinterland Harbor
Izzet Boilerworks
Karplusan Forest
Misty Rainforest
Reflecting Pool
Rootbound Crag
Rogue's Passage
Scalding Tarn
Shivan Reef
Simic Growth Chamber
Steam Vents
Stomping Ground
Sulfur Falls
Temple of Abandon
Temple of Epiphany
Temple of Mystery
Temple of the False God
Terramorphic Expanse
Tolaria West
Vesuva
Winding Canyons
Wooded Foothills
Yavimaya Coast

Basic Lands (6)
Forest x2
Island x2
Mountain x2

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Mar-10 7:17 am 

OUT
Bramblecrush
Deep Analysis
Disdainful Stroke
Drift of Phantasms
Kodama's Reach

IN
Brainstorm
Compulsive Research
Counterflux
Inferno
Farseek

Just a straightforward tune-up.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Mar-10 8:58 am 

I generally prefer Deep Analysis over Compulsive Research and I definitely think Kodama's Reach is a better card than Farseek. Any particular reason you feel the cheaper, smaller effects are better than their more impactful counterparts?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Mar-11 4:44 am 

thaumaturge wrote:
I generally prefer Deep Analysis over Compulsive Research and I definitely think Kodama's Reach is a better card than Farseek. Any particular reason you feel the cheaper, smaller effects are better than their more impactful counterparts?

I dunno, I just was not liking Deep Analysis. A bit too expensive, showing up at the wrong time, not being an instant. I recognize it's good, and it's funny because if you look at 4CC draw spells in blue, it is the best except maaaybe Concentrate or Careful Consideration (and Fact or Fiction, which I'm already playing). For one more, I can get Tidings. I also know it has a certain advantage against being countered or discarded, making it a good choice anyway. For whatever reason, I was never happy to see that card.

I decided to give Compulsive Research a try to lower the curve a bit. Honestly, I want more creatures in there, so maybe I should replace it with a Thieving Magpie, or just get something bigger with Windreader Sphinx or Sphinx of Magosi.

Farseek is also in there to try and lower the curve, and possibly prepare for if I decide to put in real duals.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Mar-11 8:18 am 

Ah, fair enough.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jan-02 12:06 pm 

Been almost two years since I tuned this deck up. I don't get to play too often anymore, but I wanted a few changes before my neXt EDH game day. The goals were: bring the curve down a bit, add some threats even if they are midrange, and additions should ideally be a way to gain card advantage.

OUT

Counterflux
Temple of the False God
Urban Evolution
Grab the Reins
Brainstorm
Terramorphic Expanse
Mercurial Chemister
Rite of Replication
Compulsive Research
Phyrexian Metamorph
Relic of Progenitus

Grab The Reins and Phyrexian Metamorph were really tough cuts. Most of the others got replaced by comparable cards.

IN
Swan Song
Endless Sands
Spring // Mind
Decimate
Oona's Grace
Mountain Valley
The Locust God
Heaven // Earth
Rhystic Study
Destructor Dragon
Sentinel Totem

The order is basically which card replaced which (Swan Song replaced Counterflux and Sentinel Totem replaced Relic of Progenitus).

I've wanted to run Swan Song forever, and Counterflux was the obvious cut because it's expensive. Endless Sands is in there because I might be adding an odd Desert subtheme, but my FLGS didn't have any Scavenger Grounds. Still, I'm hoping it can blank some removal. I love Urban Evolution, but Spring // Mind is a very similar effect but I can pay for it in installments. We'll see if I like it better. Decimate has been in and out of this deck a few times, and I just want to live the dream. Grab the Reins is good for indestructible creatures, but is otherwise really expensive. Oona's Grace is a nice way to have repeatable 'looting' in addition to Desolate Lighthouse, so I'm hoping it will get me out of some jams. Brainstorm is good, but less so without one of my sac lands to shuffle stuff away. I finally re-found my Mountain Valley so I can get that Mirage cred going. The Locust God isn't exactly amazing but it is resilient, and the deck draws lots of cards. He is Clearly better than the Mercurial Chemister, who has been annoying me forever. Heaven // Earth is another sweeper, and Rite or Replication has never gotten there for me. I want to lose less, not win more, so hopefully that will help. I have been a champion of Rhystic Study since Prophecy (It's so different than all the other Rhystic cards) but I guess I always forgot about it when it came to tune up time. Compulsive Research will usually not draw me as many cards, so it was the cut. Destructor Dragon is for another threat with added dragon synergy and is hard to be negative card advantage. Phyrexian Metamorph is an old friend, but the legend rule changes really dampened his utility. He's been on the chopping block for ages. Sentinel Totem might not be better than Relic of Progenitus but I like that I can't accidentally run out of mana and lose my rattlesnake. Scrying is a nice benefit in the deck too.

Among the picks, I think Rhystic Study & Destructor Dragon are going to be the best, and Oona's Grace and Decimate have the chance to not live up to their potential.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jan-09 11:39 am 

Some cards came in so here is part two of this tune up.

OUT
Gruul Turf
Izzet Biolerworks
Simic Growth Chamber
Reliquary Tower
Inferno

IN
Desert of the Mindful
Desert of the Fervent
Desert of the Indomitable
Scavenger Grounds
Star of Extinction

As I mentioned last post, I want to try out this sort of strange Scavenger Grounds graveyard hate package. I've also wanted to add some cycling lands to the deck for a while, so this helps. I accept that the bouncelands are good, but I always kinda hated them, especially since I can no longer abuse landfall. I don't want the deck to be any slower, so I didn't want to replace a set of lands that can come into play untapped. So it was either the bouncelands or the temples, and I like the temples better, at least in this deck. To get the Scavenger Grounds in, I had to cut a colorless land, and the one with the lowest upside was Reliquary Tower. Like, I've never effectively used Winding Canyons to my memory, but the potential upside is larger than keeping more than 7 cards.

I also really love Inferno, especially as an instant. I have a sweet black bordered one from The Dark. Still, Star of Extinction just has more octane for the same cost, even with a few additional downsides. (Inferno can't be countered by Wasteland.)

I also decided to not be lazy and actually update the full decklist. (Barring any errors of course.) One thing I realize after this tune-up: the number of creatures did not increase. The creatures themselves certainly got better, but there are the same number of them. I guess I have to decide if I have enough or not. This deck is pretty control-heavy. It runs 10+ sweeper effects and I just added Heaven // Earth for two more.

Decklist as of 1/9/18:

Commander (1)
Intet, the Dreamer

Creatures (16)
Acidic Slime
Atarka, World Render
Consecrated Sphinx
Destructor Dragon
Diluvian Primordial
Eternal Witness
Flameblast Dragon
Hellkite Charger