[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
MTG Commander/Elder Dragon Highlander • View topic - Bad Dreams Come True (Intet The Dreamer)

Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2020-Jan-17 9:54 am

Post subject: Re: Bad Dreams Come True (Intet The Dreamer)
AgePosted: 2015-Jul-01 9:29 pm 

Follow me on Twitter: @generalspeak

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jul-03 3:06 am 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Aug-14 10:43 am 

OUT

IN

Finally got the triple land. ie Bunker was never as good as I hoped, and similarly with , while I want draw, it just needs to be better than that. I am 's biggest defender, but the deck needs more mass removal, and is like 99% superior in this deck. I put in but that might become whenever I feel like taking out my cards. Otherwise, it's just more oomph, which the deck needs, but I think it is clear that this deck is going to be a control-type deck unless I really tear it apart.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Aug-27 1:02 pm 

I think I missed some changes at some point, but this is the end-of-summer tune up.

OUT

and were the only tough cuts. (Exluding , see below)

IN

is in both to add draw and shore up the 4-mana spot to improve the curve. and are a few of the last sweepers I haven't added already. and were to help the move towards a control deck. might just be standing in for for now. was out of the deck possibly due to a clerical error, and I only just remembered I had a . Finally, replaces because I finally got tokens for most of the deck and there were Frog Mutant tokens but not Ape tokens. :D

Looking forward to seeing the changes in action.

Decklist as of 8/27/15:

Commander (1)

Creatures (17)

Sorceries (21)

Instant (14)

Artifact (7)

Enchantments (3)

Planeswalkers (0)

Non-Basic Lands (31)

Basic Lands (6)
x2
x2
x2

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Mar-10 7:17 am 

OUT

IN

Just a straightforward tune-up.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Mar-10 8:58 am 

I generally prefer Deep Analysis over Compulsive Research and I definitely think Kodama's Reach is a better card than Farseek. Any particular reason you feel the cheaper, smaller effects are better than their more impactful counterparts?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Mar-11 4:44 am 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Mar-11 8:18 am 

Ah, fair enough.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jan-02 12:06 pm 

Been almost two years since I tuned this deck up. I don't get to play too often anymore, but I wanted a few changes before my net EDH game day. The goals were: bring the curve down a bit, add some threats even if they are midrange, and additions should ideally be a way to gain card advantage.

OUT

and were really tough cuts. Most of the others got replaced by comparable cards.

IN

The order is basically which card replaced which ( replaced and replaced ).

I've wanted to run forever, and was the obvious cut because it's expensive. is in there because I might be adding an odd subtheme, but my FLGS didn't have any . Still, I'm hoping it can blank some removal. I love , but is a very similar effect but I can pay for it in installments. We'll see if I like it better. has been in and out of this deck a few times, and I just want to live the dream. is good for indestructible creatures, but is otherwise really expensive. is a nice way to have repeatable 'looting' in addition to , so I'm hoping it will get me out of some jams. is good, but less so without one of my sac lands to shuffle stuff away. I finally re-found my so I can get that Mirage cred going. isn't exactly amazing but it is resilient, and the deck draws lots of cards. He is ly better than the , who has been annoying me forever. is another sweeper, and Rite or Replication has never gotten there for me. I want to lose less, not win more, so hopefully that will help. I have been a champion of since Prophecy (It's so different than all the other Rhystic cards) but I guess I always forgot about it when it came to tune up time. will usually not draw me as many cards, so it was the cut. is for another threat with added dragon synergy and is hard to be negative card advantage. is an old friend, but the legend rule changes really dampened his utility. He's been on the chopping block for ages. might not be better than but I like that I can't accidentally run out of mana and lose my rattlesnake. Scrying is a nice benefit in the deck too.

Among the picks, I think & are going to be the best, and and have the chance to not live up to their potential.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jan-09 11:39 am 

Some cards came in so here is part two of this tune up.

OUT

IN

As I mentioned last post, I want to try out this sort of strange graveyard hate package. I've also wanted to add some cycling lands to the deck for a while, so this helps. I accept that the bouncelands are good, but I always kinda hated them, especially since I can no longer abuse landfall. I don't want the deck to be any slower, so I didn't want to replace a set of lands that can come into play untapped. So it was either the bouncelands or the temples, and I like the temples better, at least in this deck. To get the in, I had to cut a colorless land, and the one with the lowest upside was . Like, I've never effectively used to my memory, but the potential upside is larger than keeping more than 7 cards.

I also really love , especially as an instant. I have a sweet black bordered one from The Dark. Still, just has more octane for the same cost, even with a few additional downsides. ( can't be countered by .)

I also decided to not be lazy and actually update the full decklist. (Barring any errors of course.) One thing I realize after this tune-up: the number of creatures did not increase. The creatures themselves certainly got better, but there are the same number of them. I guess I have to decide if I have enough or not. This deck is pretty control-heavy. It runs 10+ sweeper effects and I just added for two more.

Decklist as of 1/9/18:

Commander (1)

Creatures (16)

Sorceries (20)

Instant (13)

Split (2)

Artifact (7)

Enchantments (4)

Nonbasic Lands (31)

Basic Lands (6)
x2
x2