[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
MTG Commander/Elder Dragon Highlander • View topic - Rashmi work, take two

Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2020-Jan-17 3:25 pm

Post subject: Rashmi work, take two
AgePosted: 2017-Jan-05 5:18 am 

I decided to jettison the +1/+1 counter subtheme of my previous attempt in favor of being more tempo-disruptive/-controlling. Now all that's left is properly congealing the theme.

COMMANDER:

CREATURES (27):

(just remember that with suspended spells, they don't actually cast until the last time counter goes away)

(green delve is slim pickings... doesn't seem worthwhile to me)

ENCHANTMENTS (9):

(I just wish this weren't so expensive...)

ARTIFACTS (7):
(the idea is to bounce back a moderately costed critter with the intent of reactivating Rashmi's ability on a future turn)

(recovered creature=recastable creature)

SORCERIES (7):

(with retrace, this makes for an excellent activator for Rashmi. I just wish I could find other appealing retrace spells in GU...)

INSTANTS (11):

(the price this is going for on MTGO is absolutely ridiculous, I must point out...)

LANDS (38, exactly half non-basic):

(in case Mind's Dilation swipes something with an off-color activation cost)

Last edited by Skyknight on 2017-Jan-09 7:31 am, edited 4 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Rashmi work, take two
AgePosted: 2017-Jan-05 8:17 am 

The problem with X Spells is, flipping one off the top with Rashmi's trigger is feel-bads. To that end, I think the Flash Clone out of Conspiracy 2 would be a better fit than Altered Ego, but running both is not a bad idea either. The good thing about Ego is, if you do reveal it off Rashmi's trigger, you can still cast it as a regular Clone, so not being able to pay X is no biggie.

I dislike Heartbeat. Too risky. Fallow Earth and Plow Under seem bad. Temporal Spring and Primal Command are alright, though.

Krosan Grip should never be a maybe.

Crucible seems too cutesy. Doesn't seem to me like a deck that really wants it.

As for what to add, I'd suggest a bit more ramp (38 lands is plenty, if you beef up the ramp. This is a mana-hungry deck, but once you get going you'll be hitting lands too often of Rashmi if you overdo it).

So like Coiling Oracle, Sakura Tribe Elder, and Wood Elves should all be in here.

Venser, Shaper Savant is a great companion to Mystic Snake.

Mulldrifter is good too. Anything with Evoke, Delve or any other way to reduce it's cost so that you can get a high CMC trigger without paying full retail is worth looking at.

Other miscellaneous recommendations:

Hedron Archive
Zendikar Resurgent
Aetherspouts
Elder Deep-Fiend (has been an MVP in my Rashmi deck)
Seedborn Muse (MUST HAVE!)
Rec Sage
Temur Sabertooth
Peregrine Drake
Magus of the Future
Hornet Queen

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jan-05 11:21 am 

Now I'm in the opposite problem--slightly too many cards. (Okay, just over by one.)

OUT:
-- (if I'm going to have delve cards in here, even just three, it doesn't leave that much space for the Scavenger)
--
-- (Plow Under I'll keep, just for the potential of delaying fresh draws that severely. I did consider for a time, though, along with .)
-- (I don't see that much point in having both the Magus and the enchantment. That I have an overreach of blue to begin with doesn't help.)
--
-- (...technically. See below.)
--

IN:
-- (trying to decide between its scry and Krosan Grip's split second and cheaper cost)
--
--
--
--
--
-- (...I'm running out of memory for worthwhile non-basics here...)
--
--
--
--
-- (although, I'm not sure it will be effective, despite being able to bring back slain creatures to cast for Rashmi)
--
-- (eleven instants...I hope that's good odds that the Gearhulk will have something to recast.)
--
-- (although I do wonder about )

Not sure how I'd get in here, at the moment at least. I'd certainly like to find space for /, though.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jan-05 3:40 pm 

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jan-09 7:28 am 

Teferi strikes me as the kind of card that instantly paints a crosshairs on me (bad enough that they can't cast spells during my turn, but on every other opponent's turn?). I'm not interested in drawing that much hate. I should probably look into , though, even if I'm a bit hesitant with regard to absolute redundancy (q.v. being pointless if the Orrery's out).

Anyway...

OUT: , , ,
IN: , , ,

And it turns out the deck already was at 100; there must have been a hiccup or something when I was checking MuMagic's totals.

All that's left is theme congealing. And using EDHRec's gauges, it's a bit surprising that cards like , , and are barely seeing use in Rashmi. Is tempo-wreckage that rare a strategy? And then there's the oddly common presence of . It doesn't really fit Rashmi's mechanical theme, no matter how powerful it is...That said, when I began checking TappedOut Rashmi decks, the first thing I alighted on depended in part on EtB effects. (I rather wish there was a GU gating creature, of a sudden...) That's got me interested...The deck in question is here: http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/rashmi-s ... commander/

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jan-16 2:16 am 

Okay, I've at least begun a variant that relies a little more on EtB (and I'm already worried about theme crowding...). I'll post the full listing here for now, rather than my usual out/in setup, since I don't know yet if I'll keep to this particular theme iteration.

COMMANDER

CREATURES (28)

ENCHANTMENTS (10)

ARTIFACTS (7)

PLANESWALKERS (1)

SORCERIES (3)

INSTANTS (14)

LANDS (36)

Last edited by Skyknight on 2018-Jan-10 8:25 am, edited 4 times in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jun-26 3:37 am 

(Using the EtB sub-theme list for this edit.)

OUT: , , , , , , , , , , ,
IN: , , , , , , , , , , ,

EDIT 7/28:
OUT: ,
IN: ,

(I just hope I know what I'm doing by reducing the land count to 37. I know EDHRec's averaging puts the land count for Rashmi at 35, but...)

EDIT 7/30:
Now I'm looking at trying to increase the board disruption capabilities, thanks to my deciding to include Sunken Hope. Right now, just four cards are crowding into my chart: , , , and . Yet I'm not sure this is enough to evoke even a sub-theme. Looking at the latest iteration of the Rashmi Synergy deck I linked above did put thoughts of (and, for that matter, ) in my mind. Just the usual problem of figuring out what to kick out to make room...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jan-10 8:31 am 

After some time fussing with tempo disruption ideas, I decided to bring the chart back to EtB themes. Although yet again, I worry there's no cohesive theme to the EtB.

OUT:
-- (I keep going back and forth between this and Jace's Sanctum, somehow)
-- (hope I know what I'm doing...)
--
-- (I'm feeling reticent about tutors...never mind that Brutalizer Exarch is still in here)
--
--
-- (I'm not convinced it's that necessary, not with all the scrying I've managed to fit in...at least, I think I fit in a lot of scrying)
-- (I don't think 36 lands is enough to give it fuel)
--
--

IN:
--
-- (more fodder for the Torrential Gearhulk)
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--

Offline Profile