Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Jul-18 4:22 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: [1:N, Glissa] Mistress Glissa…
AgePosted: 2014-Mar-25 1:13 pm 

pi wrote:
I believe this is a deck that's harder to power down than up.

Uh, either it's the quality of my list or the decks I play against, but I have a hard time finishing games in a timely manner. A semi-combo like Unwinding Clock should end games quickly (and it seems like a sure way to assemble Kaldra). I don't particularly enjoy big mana decks though.

pi wrote:
The Clock certainly would be good in the deck, I like Summoning Station to go along with it and other stuff to durdle with like the Resevoir. How about Serum Tank? (Particularly if you can make Artifact tokens). Maybe Clockwork Dragon, Steel Overseer or Chronomaton?

Steel Overseer seems good, especially if you're going for artifact tokens. For now I'm going with Salvaging Station to make Arcbound Ravager grow, with Mindless Automaton for the counters and Blade of the Bloodchief for more counters. I hope I have enough "eggs" in the deck to make it work.

Scarecrone, Unwinding Clock, a sac outlet and Wurmcoil Engine or Myr Battlesphere sounds okay to me as well, but then again, four card combo's... meh. Either card is good enough to run on it's own though.

pi wrote:
As for style points, The Hive?

Not the tenth edition version ;)

pi wrote:
What did you mean by WGD btw?

Worldgorger Dragon combo with Bazaar.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Mar-25 1:34 pm 

Of course not, the original. Got an Unlimited copy out of my LGS' uncommon box recently, just because.

I can understand the finishing quickly problem, we've discussed it before. I personally love long games, 2-3 hours remains fun for me and is perhaps even more fun than a quick game. Steel Overseer should push Artifact creatures along quite well, particularly if you can untap it a few more times with stuff like Voltaic Key (maybe have Mishra's Factory and other lands that turn into Artifact creatures in there as a good place for the counters? Same would go for any Ravager counters incidentally). Additional untaps should be nice with whatever the Clock is already untapping. Triskelion would make good use of such counters, obviously.

I dance all night and I sleep all day

3 Steps Ahead - I'm A Gabber

Automatically add card tags to the card names in any text:
http://manabase.com/autocard.php

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Mar-25 2:18 pm 

Mishra's Factory is a good one.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Mar-26 2:33 am 

How would you feel about Knowledge Vault with the Clock? It seems like a surprisingly interesting choice when you throw Glissa into the mix, assuming you are not drawing cards through other means.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Aug-04 9:33 pm 

I figured it's time I posted a new list, especially since I'm happy with the new list . There was something bothering me, and I feel I've finally solved the puzzle. The missing piece came in M2015, and surprisingly it's not Soul of New Phyrexia (well, it is in a sense). The main theme of my deck is stuff dying: I tried Blood artist and Falkenrath Noble for a while (I made a version of the deck on MTGO, although I lack some of the very expensive cards online), and I found out they weren't carrying their weight (which is a slight understatement). M2015 brought Ob Nixilis, Unshackled, which has a similar dying clause but couples it to a large body. Playing Ob is the kind of thing that I want to do, and making it freakishly large is something I definitely aspire. This is what got me thinking: I had changed the deck around to include Salvaging Station and a load of "eggs" (1 CC artifacts that do... stuff). Basically I got me a deck that involves doing a lot of... stuff.

So okay, you got Salvaging Station and eggs, that's one of the archetypes you could build with Glissa. The idea is that the station doubles as a backup for Glissa, and it's a solid card in it's own right. I can't say it doesn't work: it does. You cantrip into a good portion of your deck, which fills your hand with... more eggs? You can do more... stuff with those eggs, like making a big Arcbound Ravager. Eggs aren't high impact artifacts though, so it finally dawned on me that I was going against my own design philosophy. Salvaging Station is fine, but it's not a card for me: I want to recur bombs, and when I pay 6 mana for an artifact I want it to do something meaningful, I don't just want to recur Chromatic Star. You know what also costs six mana? Soul of New Phyrexia.

Indestructible has been a minor theme in the deck with Eldrazi Monument, but I got a Guardian Beast some time ago as well. I agree that that's mostly cute, but playing old cards is a fetish for me. So I'm pushing the indestructible theme, with the aim to set up one of my favorite cards of all time: Nevinyrral's Disk (while singing this song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XgHJmxITck). To support this I (finally) also included Unwinding Clock. That card is very good defensively, but with Mana Crypt and Mana Vault around it's not that hard to activate Soul of New Phyrexia multiple times. I also included some solid tappers like Steel Overseer and Scarecrone. Having either card and the clock should lead to a board state where I can end the game swiftly, something I wasn't confident of before. I also found my Rocket Launcher: Lightning Coils fits the theme perfectly.

So, the list:

Glissa, the traitor

Creatures
Acidic slime
Arcbound Ravager
Burnished Hart
Butcher of Malakir
Duplicant
Eternal Witness
Gravecrawler
Guardian Beast
Harvester of Souls
Junk Diver
Karn, Silver Golem
Massacre wurm
Mindless Automaton
Nether traitor
Ob Nixilis, Unshackled
Reassembling skeleton
Sakura-tribe Elder
Scarecrone
Shimmer Myr
Shriekmaw
Solemn Simulacrum
Soul of New Phyrexia
Steel Hellkite
Steel Overseer
Sylvok Replica
Wurmcoil Engine
Yavimaya Elder

Spells
All is Dust
Altar of Dementia
Blade of the Bloodchief
Codex Shredder
Cranial Plating
Damnation
Dark Prophecy
Darksteel Plate
Demonic Tutor
Dictate of Erebos
Eldrazi Monument
Executioner's Capsule
Expedition Map
Grave pact
Helm of Possession
Lightning Coils
Lightning Greaves
Mana crypt
Mana Vault
Mimic Vat
Nevinyrral's disk
Nihil Spellbomb
Oblivion Stone
Pernicious deed
Phyrexian Furnace
SDT
Skullclamp
Sol ring
Spawning Pit
Staff of Domination
Survival of the Fittest
Sword of Fire and Ice
Thornbite staff
Unwinding clock
Vedalken Orrery

Lands
Bayou
Bloodstained Mire
Bojuka Bog
cabal coffers
Command Tower
Forbidden Orchard
Golgari rot farm
Grim Backwoods
Leechridden swamp
Llanowar wastes
Maze of Ith
Overgrown tomb
Phyrexian Tower
Polluted Delta
strip mine
tainted wood
Twilight mire
Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
verdant catacombs
volrath's stronghold
Winding Canyons
Windswept Heath
Wooded foothills
Forest 7x
Swamp 7x

Unfortunately there isn't room for everything I want to run:
Darksteel Citadel - Winding Clock untaps this, but I need to figure out if I have enough colored mana
Pawn of Ulamog - this is one of my pet cards, and CrazyPierre got me a bunch of tokens for Grixis
Rings of Brightheart - the downside is that there'd be an infinite combo with this card in the deck, although it does involve four cards. Besides that, there's great value in this card
Bonehoard - I want to make bigger beaters
Bloodghast - to complete the fodder suite... plus it's a vampire for Blade of the Bloodchief
Black Market - fits the theme, gives me mana to sink into Staff of Domination, but it's not that easy to recur
Nim Devourer - if I find room for Pawn of Ulamog, this will go in
The Abyss - this card is great in an artifact deck, and I have one so I want to play it (you know, fetish...). The thing is, this isn't a casual card, it makes people miserable. Grave Pact (and indestructible Nevinyrral's disk) as well, but you have to make those cards work to have an impact. I chose to weaken the Grave Pact aspect of the deck a bit (basically no major token/fodder theme), and perhaps I should make a new Grave Pact deck and cut it (and support suite) from this deck to make space for The Abyss. Grave Pact does solve opposing indestructible creatures though.
Entomb - this was the last card I cut from the deck
Myr Turbine - cute with Unwinding Clock, but I'd have to push a Myr theme to fully exploit it
Mind Stone - I got a promo version of it

There are some cards in the deck that should end up on the chopping block but are in for sentimental reasons: Pernicious deed, Sword of Fire and Ice (upgraded to judge promo, yay) and probably Shriekmaw, Sakura-tribe Elder and Yavimaya Elder.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Aug-04 11:41 pm 

That looks pretty cool! :) Also I should probably get me some Guardian Beasts at some point.

Any reason you don't have both Junk Diver and Myr Retriever in there? To me Altar of Dementia, Blade of the Bloodchief and Sword of Fire and Ice stick out as cards I wouldn't likely play. What's your reasoning for them? I'd personally like a few more (artifact) creatures in there, though I realize there aren't many good options left. Pack Rat is pretty cool every time you have a spare Glissa trigger. Maybe Triskelion? Myr Sire is rather unexciting, but probably not half bad.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Aug-05 12:02 am 

pi wrote:
Any reason you don't have both Junk Diver and Myr Retriever in there?

A lack of space. I'm also not completely convinced I need more redundancy (yet... if I did, I would run more tutors (Entomb) or more sacrifice outlets). But Junk Diver flies and has the right card frame.

pi wrote:
To me Altar of Dementia, Blade of the Bloodchief and Sword of Fire and Ice stick out as cards I wouldn't likely play. What's your reasoning for them?

I need a sacrifice outlet that doesn't require a tap or mana, and the only others are Ashnod's and Phyrexian Altar. This way I can mill myself to see more cards, and I can screw Vampiric Tutor-style tutors. The Blade fits thematically, and the dream is to put counters on Mindless Automaton. Other than that, it's just a way to get bigger creatures. I might turn it into artifact fat like Myr Battlesphere.

As for SoFI, there's no reason for the card to be in the deck besides that I just want to play the card. It's one of the reasons to play this game at all (and I already cut Genesis, and there's no valid reason to play Dark Ritual or Hymn to Tourach). But besides that, it's more than decent.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Aug-05 12:06 am 

Or Spawning Pit ;).

I like the Battlesphere, also really do consider Pack Rat.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Aug-05 2:36 am 

I already got Spawning Pit in the list, because you were insisting last time. I've also considered pack rat. It looks good, but I feel that if I include it I'd want to run Ogre Slumlord as well. Slumlord is on theme, but I haven't been satisfied by it. And the next step is something to abuse the discard outlet, like Genesis (which'd become necessary once the number of non-artifact creatures goes up) and Big Game Hunter (because awesome). But anyway, point taken.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Aug-05 11:31 pm 

I knew you had it, hence the ;).

I think you should mainly see Pack rat as something that works well on its own while you have to keep your opponents off your back in the early game. I would not feel a need to include the Slumlord or Genesis (though for the latter something could be said anyway, but I am not suggesting to remove an artifact creature for Pack Rat).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Sep-16 10:03 pm 

-1 Staff of Domination, +1 Metalworker.

I don't see a downside to playing Metalworker in a deck like this. I'll be looking for a spot to add Swiftfoot boots as well. From Khans I might be adding Grim Haruspex, which is a weaker Harvester of Souls. It fits thematically, and you can't have too much draw. Swarm of Bloodflies seems interesting, it's Algae Gharial with evasion. Other than that... eh... Jungle Hollow? There's some space for Arcbound creatures and Hardened Scales, but that's not my deck.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Dec-21 7:25 pm 

I just came across Avenging Druid. That card should be a great fit in a deck with Viridian Longbow and Thornbite Staff.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Dec-28 6:28 am 

I don't think you should get rid of the salvaging station... certainly the weak eggs need to go but it combos so well with Executioner's Capsule, Triangle of War (if you have even a decent deathtouch theme or something like Ogre Slumlord/Ophiomancer), nihil spellbomb, the map, and others. Any time I'd get the station out with either the capsule or triangle in my Glissa deck it was pretty much GG since I could kill any creature that came out, immediately get back the kill spell and another bomb off Glissa's trigger instead of having to use some of them for utility.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Dec-29 1:33 am 

As the list is now (comparable to the last one I posted, but with Grim Haruspex and Flesh Carver) there are very few 1 CMC artifacts in the list worth recurring. I don't run Triangle of War now, because besides Glissa I only have Harvester as a deathtoucher. But I'm still not convinced of Unwinding Clock (mainly because I have very few solid tappers in the deck), so I might make the switch again to Salvaging Station. I agree it's very synergetic, and it doesn't draw as much hate as Unwinding Clock (for some reason). There's only so much space in a deck, so there's limited space for buidling blocks. I feel the Salvaging package takes too much space, and leads to durdling with crap (not counting Capsule and Triangle :) ) I don't want to see in my hand. Currently the deck is mainly a Grave Pact deck. That is suboptimal for Glissa I think, but I don't have another G/B deck and I just want to play a deck with Grave Pact and Pernicious Deed :cry:

I figured Chimeric Coils and Salvaging Station would be great for triggering GPact, but do I really want to do that to my opponents? Not really, but I think Coils is worth running. Hm. I'm not completely sure what to do.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Apr-08 1:23 am 

It’s hard to believe I haven’t posted an update for more than a year. I’ve tried several things, where I ended up with the same list I started with ;) I started with naming 10 cards I’d cut. That proved not to be enough, so I expanded the list to 25 cards eventually, but in the end most of the cards I cut turned up as one of the 25 cards to add…

I made some drastic choices, like cutting pet cards (bye Pernicious Deed), or cutting whole the whole block of Grave Pact and friends, and go with Fleshbag Marauder (and friends) instead. The rationale: I want a Living Death deck, and a creature is easier to recur. Another block I include is “indestructible stuff”, centered around Eldrazi Monument. That card is the cornerstone of my Glissa deck, one of my “high impact artifacts”. To pay for its upkeep I kept the trio of Gravecrawler, Reassembling skeleton, and Nether traitor. I like that block, because it works with “nontoken creature dies” (flashback: the theme of the deck is death triggers, cards with card text that (partially) overlaps with Glissa’s card text). The thing is, this just doesn’t work without Grave Pact. I’d have to cut the unholy trio as well. On one hand, that’d be great because I’d have three more card slots, OTOH I’d have to put them in a different deck. For a while I entertained the idea of building Ghave with them (as I have all five original CMDR precons lying around), but I’m sure that’d leave me with an overpowered Grave Pact deck I’d feel miserable playing. So, no. I even considered ditching Glissa.

Anyway, other things happened. For one, Origins was released. Somehow I didn’t buy any cards after that (might coincide with the birth of my daughter and the time drain that changing diapers is), but Origins has some nice cards in it. One of the cards I picked up at launch was Hangarback Walker. Really, how this card has been below people’s radars for even I second I don’t understand: it’s a scalable cockroach. If you look back in this thread you’ll see cards like Pack Rat and Snake Basket mentioned to let the deck go wide. Well, Hangarback Walker is the card to go. Play it early, get some tokens, recur and repeat ad nauseam. It’s superb with Steel Overseer (which doesn’t make it into my list for reasons not known to sane men). What also happened: I got a B/G CMDR precon for christmas, so now I have 6 precons lying around. Both Mazirek, Kraul Death Priest and Meren of Clan Nel Toth are awesome. Again, I considered ditching Glissa. Instead I went for a different solution for this first world problem: no, I didn’t make two new Golgari decks (that’d be too many mental deck exercises), but I simply put Meren and Mazirek into the Glissa deck. The rationale:
- Meren is great with Contagion Engine (and even clasp), Glissa can recur it if necessary, and the deck needs a way to recur creatures anyway. Meren’s death trigger is on theme, and the Meren deck would want the unholy trio anyway. Unfortunately Contagion Engine didn’t make it to the list, because Steel Overseer didn’t make it either.
- Mazirek is, well, explosive. The death trigger is on theme, and the Mazirek deck would want the unholy trio as well. Mazirek, Sifter of Skulls and Living Death? BOOM! Mazirek and Hangarback? BOOM! Why am I not switching to Mazirek? Because everyone expects that deck to go boom (and everyone expects Glissa to recur Mindslaver, but this deck doesn’t do that, so the joke’s on them, ha).
- if I’m bored I can easily switch generals. All three are good in the 99 (although Meren is a bit weak)

What did I do with the other 98 cards of the B/G precon, you ask? I have a new project. I think the recent precons are of a better power level compared to “real” EDH decks than the first series. I’ve entertained upgrading those older precons (for instance, I can’t stand a deck with Cultivate but no Kodama’s Reach…), but the problem is that I might end up with 5 decks with 5 x 99 new cards. So my goal is to upgrade these precons with cards from other precons.

Back to Glissa:

General
Glissa, the traitor - I guess you saw that one coming
30 creatures
Arcbound Ravager - begs for Steel Overseer
Burnished Hart
Butcher of Malakir
Duplicant
Eternal Witness
Fleshbag marauder - MVP. I like to call it “vleeszak” in dutch. I have no clue Fleshbag sounds just as rancid to native english speakers. Bag and sack are the same word in dutch, that might be it.
Gravecrawler - unholy trio
Guardian Beast - oldschool awesomeness: nice with Eldrazi Monument around
Hangarback Walker - for praise, see above
Harvester of Souls
Karn, Silver Golem - I loved this effect ever since I saw Xenic Poltergeist. Best thing you can do is animating Eldrazi Monument in response to artifact hate. Getting death triggers out of opposing Mana Crypts is funny too.
Massacre wurm - the deck is a Living Death deck at heart, so this is the main finisher
Mazirek, Kraul Death Priest - for praise, see above
Merciless Executioner - MVP
Meren of Clan Nel Toth - for praise, see above
Metalworker
Nether traitor – unholy trio
Pawn of Ulamog - personal favorite, happens tob e great with every other card in the deck. The downside of 0/1 tokens is negated by Mazirek around. What the deck does is putting mana in the unholy trio, and getting mana batteries in return. Much, much better with Grave Pact around (I like to state the obvious).
Reassembling skeleton – unholy trio
Sakura-tribe Elder – one of the things I found when I cut Grave Pact is that this card isn’t that good without it; I would’ve liked it tob e something like Wood Elves instead. Obviously I could’ve made that switch, but I love this card.
Shimmer Myr - this card breaks rules
Shriekmaw - in, out, and in. There was no space in my Ramses Overdark assassin tribal, and the promo version needs to be played.
Sifter of Skulls - it’s a Pawn of Ulamog
Smothering Abomination - there’s no such thing as too much draw
Solemn Simulacrum - sad robot
Steel Hellkite
Sylvok Replica
Viscera Seer - I need a free sac outlet on a stick to make Living Death do its thing. I’ve read someone praise this in his Meren deck, so I went with it. Could be anything, really, but scry on a stick is good.
Wurmcoil Engine - I’m very light on lifegain, but here it is
Yavimaya Elder – see my comment on the other elder
33 spells
Akroma's Memorial - the deck needs more haste, and I like making robo Akroma (yes, I know robo Akroma is actually Sphinx of the Steel Wind).
All is Dust - GP Promo. Happens to be good in artifact deck.
Altar of Dementia - free sac outlet, proper oldschool border
Black Market - in, out, and in. On theme, and it’s either this to fuel large unholy trio loops or Phyrexian Altar. Altar has no fair use.
Codex Shredder - the only card that needs to go in every Glissa list
Damnation - I have four, no promo. When I got it, it was cheaper than WoG. It’s not my fault I own these and you don’t because they’re worth more than your kidneys nowadays, stop complaining about my deck.
Dark Prophecy - BBB, the best thing you can see on a card
Darksteel Plate - because of Guardian Beast, or Glissa with OStone
Demonic Tutor - I don’t need tutoring, but I need to play this card
Dictate of Erebos - for praise, see above
Eldrazi Monument - High Impact Artifact (tm)
Executioner's Capsule - High Synergy Artifact (tm)
Expedition Map
Grave pact - for praise, see above
Helm of Possession - absolutely f* great (I bet Pi gets this reference)
Living Death - cornerstone of the deck. Playing this makes me happy.
Mana crypt - see Damnation. I have this card because I played 10 proxy Vintage ages ago. I bought it for 10 dutch guilders, which I found expensive at the time. We got the Euro in 2002 at a rate of 2,20 NLG for 1 Euro. Complain about it if you want, but I find your Standard playable planeswalkers ridiculously expensive (and butt-ugly with that ridiculous card frame).
Mimic Vat
Nevinyrral's disk - I would like to play something that untaps it, but I can live with the fact that it comes into play tapped since 1995. This card defines multiplayer magic for me.
Nihil Spellbomb - recurring this breaks the symmetry of Living Death. It’s also great with Salvaging Station, but I need more of those to make that playable.
Nim Deathmantle - In, out, and in. Unfortunately it fuels infinite combo’s with anything that makes mana. In this case, Metalworker plus anything that grants haste.
Oblivion Stone - O
Phyrexian Furnace - the original sideboard card
Sensei's Divining Top - STD
Skullclamp - banned in formats with ban lists that make more sense, it’s not fair in this deck
Sol ring - mine’s been played since 1995, by me, which makes it worth more than a mint beta version
Spawning Pit - because reasons
Survival of the Fittest - see Demonic Tutor. Banning this in Legacy is what made me pick up EDH.
Sword of Fire and Ice - printing this card has brought my love for M:TG to new heights. Looking at the proper card frame of the promo version makes me warm and fuzzy inside. As this deck doesn’t really want to use the combat zone, one might argue this card should be cut.
Thornbite staff - in, out, in, out, in, out, in
Ulvenwald Mysteries - I’ll try this
Vampiric Rites - the only thing that could make this better is if it’d been an artifact creature
Vedalken Orrery - this card breaks rules
36 lands
swamp
forest
Mishra's Factory - carries Ravager counters
Leechridden swamp
Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
Twilight mire
Bojuka Bog
tainted wood
Bayou
Overgrown tomb
Golgari rot farm
verdant catacombs
strip mine - not sure if I need Wasteland as well
volrath's stronghold
Opal Palace
Winding Canyons
Grim Backwoods
Phyrexian Tower
Forbidden Orchard - good for when opponents refuse to give you Glissa triggers
Command Tower
Polluted Delta
Windswept Heath
cabal coffers
Wooded foothills
Bloodstained Mire
Llanowar wastes

Notably absent:
Bloodghast - I could run this if I found room
Salvaging Station - it’s great, but I don’t have enough eggs. Also, it makes infinite mana and nontoken death triggers with Karn and mana rocks
Ogre Slumlord - it’s either this or Sifter of Skulls. I think Slumlord is better, but Sifter is new. Scions are better with Grave Pact. But then again, Slumlord is amazing with Salvaging Station and…
Triangle of War - this card is so good that I don’t know why I’m not playing it. Doubt besets me. I need to find a spot fort his plus the previous two cards. And Steel Overseer, plus Myr Battlesphere and Borg jokes, and and and
Strionic Resonator - it copies death triggers

Feedback is appreciated. Or a simply “read it” just to let me know I’m not on everyone’s ignore list.

Last edited by Shabbaman on 2016-Apr-17 10:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next