Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Aug-25 7:16 pm

Post subject: Heliod, God of the Sun
AgePosted: 2013-Sep-23 10:09 am 

OK, so I'm putting my Uril deck on temporary retirement, so I can use the sleeves for something new. I'm building this deck to play against some of my friends who's decks are lower-powered, to the point where my main decks tend to induce the Scoop of Despair(tm) by turn 6-8 with an average draw. So I'm looking to build something a little more gimmicky, but still strong enough to not roll over and die too easily.

I've got some life-gain based win-cons, and token swarm as possible paths to victory.

*Update 6-8-19* As the original reason for this deck's existence has gone away, I have powered it up some and updated the list. It's basically a token swarm deck with a sun-based subtheme and is completely creatureless (except for the general).

General:
Heliod, God of the Sun

Artifacts (17):
Sol Ring
Relic of Progenitus
Skullclamp
Helm of the Gods
Expedition Map
Torpor Orb
Leonin Sun Standard
Crystal Ball
Skull of Orm
Crystal Chimes
Gauntlet of Power
Mind's Eye
Ring of Three Wishes
Eldrazi Monument
Staff of Nin
Caged Sun
The Immortal Sun

Enchantments (22):
Legion's Landing
Crusade
Intangible Virtue
Rest in Peace
Greater Auramancy
Honor of the Pure
Spear of Heliod
Oblivion Ring
Karmic Justice
Pariah
Ghostly Prison
Mobilization
Worship
Indestructibility
Anointed Procession
Sphere of Safety
Sigil of the Empty Throne
Cathars' Crusade
Dictate of Heliod
Skybind
Divine Visitation
True Conviction

Planeswalkers (2):
Elspeth, Knight-Errant
Elspeth, Sun's Champion

Instants (5):
Swords to Plowshares
Path to Exile
Enlightened Tutor
Return to Dust
White Sun's Zenith

Sorceries (16):
Revoke Existence
Idyllic Tutor
Wrath of God (Heliod art from FTV:Annihilation)
Replenish
Day of Judgment
Increasing Devotion
Austere Command
Solar Tide
Plea for Guidance
Devout Invocation
Hour of Reckoning
Storm Herd
Martial Coup
Entreat the Angels
Decree of Justice
Finale of Glory

Land (37):
Springjack Pasture
Reliquary Tower
Strip Mine
Mistveil Plains
Vesuva
Thespian's Stage
Kjeldoran Outpost
Secluded Steppe
Serra's Sanctum
Windbrisk Heights
Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
Terrain Generator
Plains x 25

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Last edited by Sid the Chicken on 2019-Jun-08 2:51 am, edited 10 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Heliod, God of the Sun
AgePosted: 2013-Sep-24 1:36 am 

Kor Haven, Emeria, the Sky Ruin, Karoo, Temple of the False God are all lands you could upgrade to. Also Tithe, Knight of the White Orchard (also has WW casting cost for devotion), Gift of Estates, Solemn Simulacrum and Land Tax are all pretty good ramp since you have a ton of plains. .

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Sep-24 2:15 am 

Are your friends with the low-powered decks going to be happy if you wrath them 8 times in a game?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Sep-24 3:02 am 

Running the old RiP + Open the Vaults combo, huh?

I think if you wanted to build a deck that your lower-powered friends aren't going to think is miserable to play against, you very likely failed. Tons of wraths. Torpor Orb. Rest in Peace. Martyr's Bond with endless tokens. Maybe try something a little more threat-oriented and less about turning off all the things the other players want to do.

I would also suggest Intangible Virtue over (non-Cathar) Crusade. It's basically the same upside when Heliod is in play, and it is much better when he isn't.

If you have one, new Elspeth is almost certainly better than old Elspeth in a deck like this. (Or play her instead of one of your Wraths.) Heliod is already your target 4-drop and making your junk indestructible when it's mostly expendable tokens or already indestructible anyway just isn't that good compared to +2/+2 and flying. (And 3 soldiers is obviously better than 1.)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Sep-24 7:58 am 

crokaycete wrote:

It's a classic!

So, I just realized the Heliod makes cleric tokens (I'd been thinking they were cat tokens). While it cuts against the "no creatures, all wraths" thing you got going, there are some pretty funny things you can do with a massive number of clerics, especially when they're vigilant. You can use Battletide Alchemist or Master Apothecary to prevent damage and diplomacy the table. Ancestor's Prophet gains stupid amounts of life. Weathered Wayfarer doesn't necessarily care about having a lot of clerics, but he's an on-theme guy who also happens to be one of the best utility creatures in white. And Fountain Watch gives Heliod shroud.

Edit: Oh yeah, and Evangel of Heliod seems like it should be here.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Sep-24 9:18 am 

crokaycete wrote:

Hey, don't forget the Torpor Orb + Cathars' Crusade combo!
Kemev wrote:
Are your friends with the low-powered decks going to be happy if you wrath them 8 times in a game?

Honestly, I'm not sure. But some boardwipes can keep things from getting silly. I borrowed one of their decks the other night (figured that way we'd all be on a level playing field), and won the game rather easily on the back of Angelic Skirmisher + Cradle of Vitality + some random creatures, finishing the game with several hundred life. I may have to back off on the number of wraths - that's something I'm probably going to have to get a feel for through playtesting. Plus, in a deck led by a god, Wrath of God just seems appropriate.
Kemev wrote:
So, I just realized the Heliod makes cleric tokens (I'd been thinking they were cat tokens). While it cuts against the "no creatures, all wraths" thing you got going, there are some pretty funny things you can do with a massive number of clerics, especially when they're vigilant. You can use Battletide Alchemist or Master Apothecary to prevent damage and diplomacy the table. Ancestor's Prophet gains stupid amounts of life. Weathered Wayfarer doesn't necessarily care about having a lot of clerics, but he's an on-theme guy who also happens to be one of the best utility creatures in white. And Fountain Watch gives Heliod shroud.

Edit: Oh yeah, and Evangel of Heliod seems like it should be here.

Interesting thoughts. I was trying to keep it creatureless. Given the amount of creature removal I've been seeing, Battletide Alchemist + Heliod = I win, because they'll never deal me damage again.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Sep-24 2:22 pm 

Edited list based on suggestions. Cut some wraths and also ditched some colorless lands that seemed not worth the trouble. Ditched the Martyr's Bond (that probably would have been pretty annoying the more I thought about it). Threw in some more random enchantments.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Sep-28 3:18 pm 

Got to play this thing in a few actual games friday, though not against its intended audience. Was fun to play and surprisingly resilient. Didn't win either game, (Insurrection is a thing, and so is Debt to the Deathless), but I held my own well and never felt far behind until the end, and at least once in each game it could be said that I was winning.

Have not been happy with Divine Reckoning, and I'm considering cutting Open the Vaults because of its symmetry. That gives me space for at least one and maybe two new cards. So far I'm considering;
Conqueror's Pledge
Storm Herd
White Sun's Zenith

Any suggestions? I'm leaning toward Storm Herd because of the flying. The Zenith seems the most on-theme (it says Sun right on it) and self-recurs, which is nice. Pledge is flexible, which is good, but provides the least raw power (both in the card strength and P/T sense) of the three.

EDIT: After thinking about this some more, I went ahead and cut the OtV and put in White Sun and Storm Herd. Still thinking about cutting something else for Pledge. Any thoughts on that or other suggestions are always welcome.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Oct-14 7:34 am 

YOU CANNOT CUT SPRINGJACK PASTURE FROM THIS DECK.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Oct-14 9:22 am 

I'm sorry sir! I have dishonored my deck and my playgroup. I shall perform sudoku immediately!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Oct-14 9:31 am 

He's watching you, and he does not approve.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Oct-14 3:18 pm 

Thawing Glaciers is excellent given your high basic count.

Also, I would always play Rout in every white deck. Having an instant speed wrath is ridiculously good.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Oct-16 7:27 am 

Must not offend the goat.... always watching....

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Oct-19 2:16 pm 

Hey,

Is Blind Obedience legal in this deck? Seems to me that its color identity is black in addition to white, no?

http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/article/Color_identity

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Oct-19 2:30 pm 

vilik wrote:
Is Blind Obedience legal in this deck?

Yes.

Reminder text doesn't count towards rules text, so the B/W hybrid symbol is basically invisible for color identity purposes. (Similarly, Trinisphere and Charmed Pendant are legal in any color deck.)

Offline Profile