All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Aug-25 7:30 pm

Post subject: Re: Heliod, God of the Sun
AgePosted: 2013-Oct-19 2:34 pm 

Ok, thanks for the clarification.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Oct-20 2:47 pm 

Working on finding a True Conviction for this. Actually can't believe I don't seem to have one. What should I cut for it?

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Oct-23 7:30 pm 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
Working on finding a True Conviction for this. Actually can't believe I don't seem to have one. What should I cut for it?

Beacon of Immortality, which is a useless card.

1) Winning? So what!
2) draw when low on life: wow, 6 CMC to go from 4 to 8 life.... whoop-di-do
3) Getting mangled by GD: so what?

In this deck, True Conviction is better, because it's an enchantment, and grants double strike

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Oct-26 6:47 am 

green slime wrote:
Sid the Chicken wrote:

Beacon of Immortality, which is a useless card.

1) Winning? So what!
2) draw when low on life: wow, 6 CMC to go from 4 to 8 life.... whoop-di-do
3) Getting mangled by GD: so what?

In this deck, True Conviction is better, because it's an enchantment, and grants double strike

That makes sense. I acquired the True Conviction last night, so that is happening.

Got to cast Storm Herd with Cathar's Crusade on the table. Got wrathed before I got to untap, but it was still pretty epic.

Having some trouble with flyers in this. Any enchantment-based suggestions?

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Oct-26 7:32 pm 

A few suggestions, but you've got all the really good ones already

Angelic Destiny
Armored Ascension
Energy Storm
Field of Souls
Griffin Guide:

Spirit Cairn: but only if there is a decent amount of discard in the meta

Soul Snare: rattlesnake

But with all your tokens, I'd be tempted to include Eldrazi Monument.

- crusade

So if nothing strikes your fancy, dig faster. Well of Lost Dreams, Venser's Journal

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Nov-25 4:59 pm 

Out: Blind Obedience, Beacon of Immortality
In: True Conviction, Elspeth, Sun's Champion

Still waffling on Eldrazi Monument. Probably the best solution to the "flyers kick my ass" problem, but I don't want to push the power level too high either. Seems like it could become a real "Ooops, I win" card, and I feel like I have enough win-cons. On the other hand, flyers are a serious problem area.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Nov-26 4:17 am 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
On the other hand, flyers are a serious problem area.

Big solo flyers or swarms of small flyers?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Nov-26 9:07 am 

Kemev wrote:
Sid the Chicken wrote:
On the other hand, flyers are a serious problem area.

Big solo flyers or swarms of small flyers?

Either one, really, and generals especially, because killing them doesn't get rid of them effectively.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Nov-26 9:14 am 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
Either one, really, and generals especially, because killing them doesn't get rid of them effectively.

For generals and big flyers, you could try Invulnerability. I'm assuming you're already camping on your mana a lot of turns when you have Heliod in play, so it'd be easy to hold up mana for Invulnerabiltiy+buyback with the option to make tokens if noone attacks you.

You've still got a lot of sweepers in your deck, so I feel like that should take care of flocks of birds and other small flyers... if it's a major problem, you might want to add a couple sweepers back in (yeah yeah, I know last page I said to cut a few).

It might've been a mistake to cut Blind Obedience. It's been a big asset for me in my Teysa deck; it makes it a lot easier to control the board combined with a reasonable number of sweepers. And it's really good with buyback cards.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Nov-26 1:21 pm 

Avenger en-Dal
Vengeful Dreams?

Personally I like False Prophet, and Mageta the Lion

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Nov-27 12:33 am 

green slime wrote:

I like those cards too, but they don't fit well in a creatureless deck.

Kemev wrote:
For generals and big flyers, you could try Invulnerability. I'm assuming you're already camping on your mana a lot of turns when you have Heliod in play, so it'd be easy to hold up mana for Invulnerabiltiy+buyback with the option to make tokens if noone attacks you.

That's an idea - I'll have to see if I can find one.
Kemev wrote:
you might want to add a couple sweepers back in (yeah yeah, I know last page I said to cut a few).

Thing is, I think you were right on the first page. (Although Elspeth 3.0 is a new sweeper, albeit a conditional one).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Nov-27 3:52 am 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
green slime wrote:

I like those cards too, but they don't fit well in a creatureless deck.

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Nov-27 7:21 am 

green slime wrote:
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition.

But mono-white's main weapon isn't fear (or fear, or surprise...). And ruthless efficiency doesn't get you far in battlecruiser magic.

I suppose white doubles down on fanatical devotion though, so that's a plus.

Sid the Chicken wrote:
Kemev wrote:
you might want to add a couple sweepers back in (yeah yeah, I know last page I said to cut a few).

Thing is, I think you were right on the first page. (Although Elspeth 3.0 is a new sweeper, albeit a conditional one).

Yes, but that was last-month Kemev. He was young and naive, filled with foolish hopes and brash idealism... not the kind of guy you'd rely on for Very Serious Conversations on such weighty matters like EDH.

One thing you could try with your sweepers is to run more Elspeth-ish cards that can win the game in addition to keeping the board clear. The options for this are Elspeth 2.0, Kirtar's Wrath (kill your puny flyers, block your next batch of flyers), and Phyrexian Rebirth (great for compleating birds into a giant horror monster).

And Leonin Sun Standard is generally a fun card in token swarm decks (and it's on theme! Suns! Pumps!).

(By the way, look out for next-month Kemev. He'll be along presently on the next page to discredit everything I've just written. Don't believe his lies!)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Nov-28 8:06 am 

Kemev wrote:
Yes, but that was last-month Kemev. He was young and naive, filled with foolish hopes and brash idealism...

I'm going for a little bit of intentional naivety and brash idealism here.
Kemev wrote:
And Leonin Sun Standard is generally a fun card in token swarm decks (and it's on theme! Suns! Pumps!).

I like this idea, and I'm pretty sure I even have one! Must check.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-16 12:13 pm 

Born of the Gods update:

Out: Angelic Accord
In: Plea for Guidance

Offline Profile