Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Jun-19 7:35 pm

Post subject: Bless the Wings v0.2 (Jenara +1/+1 counter schemes)
AgePosted: 2015-Jan-09 12:10 pm 

Once again, the idea is to grant creatures as many abilities as possible, usually through outlast cards conducting by +1/+1 counters. (Jenara benefits from them for obvious reasons.) I also began trying to fit in a token sub-theme once I discovered Twilight Drover and Ooze Flux, but I'm not sure it has any meaningful presence.

And just so we're clear, I'm not playing at the moment; budget and transportation constrictions are rather strong right now. The idea is to make relatively sure I don't waste money on not-useful cards when I do hit the ground running. Although as of April 2016, I'm strongly considering MTGO for playing.

COMMANDER
Jenara, Asura of War

CREATURE (38)
Abzan Battle Priest (widespread lifelink)
Abzan Falconer (widespread flying)
Ainok Bond-Kin (widespread first strike)
Altered Ego
Archangel of Thune
Armorcraft Judge
Bellowing Aegisaur
Chasm Skulker (gets counters easily, has a built-in token army back-up plan)
Draining Whelk
Elite Scaleguard
Eternal Witness
Fathom Mage
Fertilid
Forgotten Ancient
Glen Elendra Archmage
Herald of Secret Streams
High Sentinels of Arashin
Juniper Order Ranger
Kalonian Hydra
Knight of the White Orchid
Master Biomancer
Mikaeus, the Lunarch
Mystic Snake
Resplendent Griffin
Rishkar, Peema Renegade
Sage of Fables (MUCH better return rate than Novijen Sages)
Sage-Eye Avengers
Shinewend
Simic Manipulator
Sunscorch Regent
Trygon Predator
Tuskguard Captain (widespread trample)
Twilight Drover (turns his excess counters into even more tokens)
Twilight Shepherd
Vigean Graftmage
Vorel of the Hull Clade
Woodfall Primus
Zameck Guildmage

PLANESWALKER (1)
Ajani Goldmane (temporary widespread vigilance while granting counters)

ARTIFACT (3)
Cauldron of Souls (widespread persist, all the counters will quickly abolish the withering)
Commander's Sphere
Sol Ring

ENCHANTMENT (8)
Asceticism (widespread hexproof and, effectively, regeneration)
Bow of Nylea (widespread deathtouch when attacking, and spot counter placing on top of that)
Brave the Sands (widespread vigilance and +1 block)
Bred for the Hunt (card draw practically tailor-made for this scheme)
Cathars' Crusade
Hadana’s Climb
Hardened Scales (I just know using Doubling Season or Primal Vigor will make me an instant target)
Ooze Flux (I notice that this makes for an ugly combo with Cathars' Crusade...)

SORCERY (4)
Collective Effort
Cultivate
Map the Wastes
Strength of the Pack

INSTANT (7)
Absorb
Bant Charm
Fuel for the Cause
Inspiring Call
Miraculous Recovery
Render Silent
Spell Swindle

LAND (38) (note: My rule of thumb is to make half the lands basic)
Forest*7
Plains*6
Island*6
Alchemist's Refuge
Breeding Pool
Command Tower
Flooded Grove
Gavony Township
Glacial Fortress
Hallowed Fountain
Hinterland Harbor
Llanowar Reborn
Mosswort Bridge
Mystic Gate
Seaside Citadel
Sunpetal Grove
Temple Garden
Temple of Enlightenment
Temple of Mystery
Temple of Plenty
Thran Quarry
Wooded Bastion

And in general, any other mana acceleration and counter sources that I may be lacking, as well as token work if that can be justified.

Last edited by Skyknight on 2018-Mar-03 10:38 am, edited 22 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Bless the Wings v0.2 (Jenara +1/+1 counter schemes)
AgePosted: 2015-Jan-09 5:22 pm 

Bramblewood Paragon is a cheaper way to give trample if you want it.
Give // Take can be a nice card draw effect.
Master Biomancer seems amazing for the deck.
Prime Speaker Zegana is worth considering too.

For cuts I would consider the phantom cards. They have high mana costs and are pretty much a bad Guard Gomazoa.
Maybe Simic Fluxmage too. Practically all of your creatures have their own way of getting counters so they don't really need him.

Obelisk of Bant can easily be replaced by a more efficient mana rock. Chromatic Lantern or Coalition Relic are good for a 3 cost rock or Talisman of Progress/Talisman of Unity for a 2 drop.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jan-10 7:42 am 

You do realize Guard Gomazoa can't attack, right?

But that said, I see your point about cost at least with the Flock and Nishoba. Phantom Centaur still looks to be a good deal (even if it doesn't stay a 5/3 after any scuffles...again, counters are easy to come by in here), so it sticks around for the non. I'll judge on the Fluxmage after comparison to Mikaeus and the Ancient.

OUT: Obelisk of Bant, Phantom Flock, Phantom Nishoba
IN: Battlefront Krushok, Coalition Relic, Elite Scaleguard

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jan-12 1:47 am 

I really like the look of this. Well done.

needs more Strength of the Tajuru. I also second the call for Master Biomancer. Maybe Fungal Behemoth?

I think the Simic Fluxmage is just too weak to warrant inclusion.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jan-13 3:40 am 

Finally fully internalized the nuisance that can come from the Phantoms' counters' depleting whenever they suffer damage--Pestilence and Pyrohemia, among other things, would quickly ruin their day. So for now, we at least have this at the exact card count. I'll see what I can do about fitting Strength of the Tajuru and Master Biomancer in here.

OUT: Phantom Centaur, Simic Fluxmage

EDIT: Got the Biomancer in there. I just hope I didn't kick out any lynchpins in the process...

OUT: Absorb, Murkfiend Liege, Yavimaya Hollow
IN: Master Biomancer, Sage-Eye Avengers, Treva's Ruins

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jan-13 6:07 am 

If you are able to manage it, Kalonian Hydra would likely be pretty good for this deck. Also, I'm wondering if Solidarity of Heroes might be a better choice than Thrive, but without seeing the deck in action it's hard for me to tell.

Otherwise, not too bad of a list. You seem to have a decent amount of card draw in the deck--have you played the deck to get a feel for if you need more? Chasm Skulker reminded me of Kinsbaile Borderguard as another faint possibility, which led me find Hooded Hydra. Just other possibilities if you wanted to go down that route sometime.

EDIT: Kalonian Hydra is a little more on the expensive side--$5-$7 dollar range or so--but it is definitely worth the cost if you can afford it. If you need more draw, Bident of Thassa has really helped me out.

EDIT2: Curse of Predation. Bloody awesome.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jan-13 12:27 pm 

I can't shake the feeling that Kalonian Hydra is yet another card that will paint an instant crosshairs on me. Hooded Hydra, I'm not so reticent about; I'd avoided it at first because I tend to avoid morph (partly because if it's the only creature in there with morph, there isn't much I can do for psychological games), but then I noticed the token back-up. I'll definitely need to see what can make room for it.

I'll admit that I see another justification for keeping out Doubling Season besides not getting crosshaired--it plays badly with the persist cards in the deck. (Granted that's only three...)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jan-13 4:46 pm 

Skyknight wrote:
I can't shake the feeling that Kalonian Hydra is yet another card that will paint an instant crosshairs on me.

It probably will...but are you expecting to go the majority of the game without drawing anyone's attention? Or are you suggesting a lot of the cards currently in your list draw people's attention?

I don't necessarily agree with the latter (entirely, but there are some cards I'll definitely be paying attention to), and for the former it's good to have some cards people have to pay attention to in order to draw out wraths or other removal, and when they don't then this Hydra will be there to punish them severely.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jan-14 2:46 am 

Well, getting crosshaired by everyone at once is something I thought one was SUPPOSED to avoid in this milieu.

I will grant that some of my distaste for the Kalonian Hydra comes from it being rather undercosted. (I know this is green, but even so...) Had it come in with three counters rather than four, I wouldn't be so nervy about it. Still, I'll see what can be removed for it (assuming Hooded Hydra doesn't beat it to the mark).

EDIT: Found something for it to take the stead of. This had better not earn everyone's hatred when played, though...

OUT: Lifeblood Hydra
IN: Kalonian Hydra

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jan-14 3:00 am 

Skyknight wrote:
Well, getting crosshaired by everyone at once is something I thought one was SUPPOSED to avoid in this milieu.

Having one strong monster doesn't normally put you in everyone's crosshairs for an entire game/the rest of the game; however, playing a lot of strong monsters all of the time does. You're not going to be able to sit unnoticed while you pile on +1/+1 counters--someone is going to hold their wrath until the most inopportune moment. Playing key cards at key times to force their hands early allows you to keep ahold of your board position at a later time.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jan-14 12:06 pm 

Finally found a way to get Strength of the Tajuru in there (pretty easy, in retrospect).

OUT: Thrive
IN: Strength of the Tajuru

Now to see if I can get Hooded Hydra, Ainok Guide, Map the Wastes, and/or Abzan Beastmaster in there...Preferably without making the green overreach worse than it already is. (And on the subject of possible cards to winnow, is 40 lands overdoing it, given how relatively cheap the cards I'm using are?)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jan-15 12:15 am 

Skyknight wrote:
Finally found a way to get Strength of the Tajuru in there (pretty easy, in retrospect).

OUT: Thrive
IN: Strength of the Tajuru

Now to see if I can get Hooded Hydra, Ainok Guide, Map the Wastes, and/or Abzan Beastmaster in there...Preferably without making the green overreach worse than it already is. (And on the subject of possible cards to winnow, is 40 lands overdoing it, given how relatively cheap the cards I'm using are?)

I would stick with 40 lands for now, at least until you get a feel for the deck. There's plenty of Outlast effects you'll be wanting to pump mana into, so I don't think you'll be sad to make every land drop.

I'm not certain what I'd take out for the ones you've listed. Several of the effects are fairly minimal in board impact (the bodies aren't big or don't provide multiple +1/+1 counters), with the exception of Hooded Hydra. Hindering Light might be an alright switch for the Hooded Hydra, but mostly because I've never had any success with Hindering Light or it's ilk.

Say, I thought of something you might like more than Kalonian Hydra: Archangel of Thune. She still gets you a good board impact and she's not quite as glaringly powerful as Kalonian Hydra (she'll still get targeted quickly, of course, but maybe less often than Hydra). I was reminded of her from an old Soul Sisters deck of mine, and it gets silly so quickly. The only downside is she costs a bit more than Kalonian Hyda. :(

Maybe a later addition...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jan-15 12:20 am 

I'm currently working on an Anafenza deck with an outlast theme. Masuko, the Humorless isn't even funny in an outlast deck.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jan-15 5:10 am 

I'd thought of Archangel of Thune, but didn't think I had enough lifegain in there, Abzan Battle Priest to the contrary. Then I remembered Ajani, then the Bow...If I include the Archangel, I'd probably put Absorb back in at the expense of Hindering Light. Just...who does the Archangel replace? The Hydra?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jan-15 5:46 am 

Skyknight wrote:
Just...who does the Archangel replace? The Hydra?

Segrus wrote:
Say, I thought of something you might like more than Kalonian Hydra...

You have admitted to not entirely likely the idea of the Hydra, so Archangel seemed like a good replacement for that spot. She won't give nearly the same amount of counters, but she does a pretty good job.

It actually wasn't until after my post about the Archangel that I realized you even put the Hydra into the deck. It's your deck, do what you feel is best for it.

I will say if either of these creatures earns the perpetual ire of your group, then I would really have to wonder at the power level of the decks you play against (because a creature without any protection, no haste, and with a combat related ability isn't remotely close to my list of worst fun-wreckers (and Archangel's ability is technically worse since repeated life gain isn't a very good strategy)). Personally, I wouldn't be mad if both of them were in this deck, but that's may just be me.

If you do end up deciding to go for Archangel, Cradle of Vitality is incredibly good (but only another possibility).

Offline Profile