Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Aug-24 3:46 am

Post subject: Brainstorming Grimlock, Dinobot Leader (HasCon exclusive)
AgePosted: 2017-Jul-28 3:17 am 

As a huge fan of Transformers, especially G1, I am rather excited at the just-revealed Grimlock, Dinobot Leader card (a HasCon exclusive).

Whilst I doubt that I'll be able to pick up the card cheap, not to mention have to convince my opponents to let me play with silver-bordered cards, there is a part of me that's terribly excited to consider what kind of cards would go in a Grimlock deck.

Grimlock, Dinobot Leader - 1RGW
Legendary Artifact Creature - Autobot
Dinosaurs, Vehicles, and other Transformers creatures you control get +2/+0
2, Convert a Transformers toy you own to its other mode: Grimlock, Dinobot Leader becomes Grimlock, Ferocious King.
4/4

Grimlock, Ferocious King
Legendary Artifact Creature - Dinosaur
Trample
2, Convert a Transformers toy you own to its other mode: Grimlock, Ferocious King becomes Grimlock, Dinobot Leader.
8/8

The obvious direction to go in the deck is Dinosaur/Vehicle tribal. With Ixalan on the horizon, we're looking at having a bunch of older cards get errata to become Dinosaurs, plus any new Naya Dinosaurs that come out in that set.

There's also the consideration of going with a mild Artifact theme, which could partially come from Vehicles but also possibly a Voltron-ish set of equipment (since Grimlock can go from pumping his entire team to being a big, beefy guy himself).

Finally, with the Commander being Silver-Bordered, I'm wondering what kind of Silver-Bordered shenanigans I could get up to in Naya colours. The obvious choice to include is Mishra's Toy Workshop and using Transformers toys for the tokens.

Anyone else have any interesting ideas to go in this kind of deck?

Putrid Pirate Proliferation
Lord of Voltronhorn
Unlife of the Party
Jaya Ballard, Discard Mage
Zedruu and the Minotaurs
Vish Kal's ManSlaughterhouse
Izzet Any Good?

Chorus of Counters

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Brainstorming Grimlock, Dinobot Leader (HasCon exclusive)
AgePosted: 2017-Jul-29 1:39 am 

I love the card! Love me some G1 Transformers, made me want to buy a ticket... until i saw it costs $600 to get the card. They should have made a one day pass equivalent ticket :/.(Nevermind apparently you can buy it there for $30, interest in going has again been piqued). Anyway do you want theme suggestions or synergistic suggestions?

Retired:
Krenko, Mob Boss (Goblins)
Zedruu the Christmas Goat (group hug)
Ramses Overdark (Assassin Deck)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jul-30 8:18 am 

I was looking at this to helm my werewolf deck. (According to MaRo: "“Transformer” is defined as either a character from the Transformer universe that is a Transformer or a creature that transforms meaning any double-faced cards that uses the “transform” keyword action.")

Of course, since it's any creature with transform, I could also use it for a deck with all the other transforming creatures, such as Cloistered Youth, Archangel Avacyn, Brisela, etc.

My Decks: Zombiepocalypse (Thraximundar) ♦ Thrun stands alone (voltron) ♦ Ashling the Burninator ♦ Doran beatdown (treefolk/plant tribal) ♦ Mine! (UB theft/clone) ♦ Vampire Beatdown (Edgar Markov) ♦ BW Enchantments (Daxos the Returned)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Sep-17 11:27 am 

Willbender wrote:
I was looking at this to helm my werewolf deck. (http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/163581853548/by-giving-transformers-2-0-does-grimlock-give]According to MaRo: "“Transformer” is defined as either a character from the Transformer universe that is a Transformer or a creature that transforms meaning any double-faced cards that uses the “transform” keyword action.")

Of course, since it's any creature with transform, I could also use it for a deck with all the other transforming creatures, such as Cloistered Youth, Archangel Avacyn, Brisela, etc.

Actually willbender I specifically spoke with maro about this... grimlock does not pump Brisela

One of the sides of the card has to specifically say transform or transformed

Meld sadly does not I even tried using the logic of. Bruticus and devastator the combiner transformers... he was not allowing it... he said maybe in the future if meld returns and starts saying transformed but currently no Meld doesn't qualify for the pump

And that's from the man himself Mark Rosewater

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Sep-20 4:01 pm 

Did you pick up the card? It went on sale on hasbro.com today and sold out by the end of it. I managed to get one and am thinking how I'm going to use it.

Retired:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Sep-20 10:51 pm 

I was at hascon I got 6 for myself

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Sep-21 3:06 am 

How was Hascon? I tried getting my friends together to go, but they were more interested in getting a picture with Stan Lee than the rest of the convention, while I the opposite. So they went to a different convention and I didn't get to go.

Retired:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Dec-17 9:26 am 

Bruticus wrote:
Did you pick up the card? It went on sale on hasbro.com today and sold out by the end of it. I managed to get one and am thinking how I'm going to use it.

In the end I didn't, and prices for it have been too high for me to want to pick one up on the singles market. I've pretty much had to shelve this idea.

Putrid Pirate Proliferation
Lord of Voltronhorn
Unlife of the Party
Jaya Ballard, Discard Mage
Zedruu and the Minotaurs
Vish Kal's ManSlaughterhouse
Izzet Any Good?

Chorus of Counters

Offline Profile