Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Jun-19 7:32 pm

Post subject: Arahbo Atak Kat
AgePosted: 2017-Sep-12 6:44 am 

In an experiment of the effectiveness of Arahbo's eminence trigger I tried to build a ridiculously low to the ground version of cat tribal. The thinking is that I get more value out of Arahbo triggers by getting more relevant combat steps.

To my surprise and delight it worked. I was a serious threat that nobody was prepared to deal with that early in the game. The only downside was the one I was afraid of as I was building it: the deck runs out of gas.

For reference here was the deck as I played it this past weekend:
Commander (1):
1 Arahbo, Roar of the World

Creatures (38)
Cats (38)
1 Jungle Lion
1 Loam Lion
1 Mtenda Lion
1 Pouncing Jaguar
1 Sacred Cat
1 Sanctuary Cat
1 Savannah Lions
1 Wild Nacatl
1 Adorned Pouncer
1 Ajani's Pridemate
1 Ajani's Sunstriker
1 Felidar Cub
1 Fleecemane Lion
1 Grizzled Leotau
1 Hungry Lynx
1 Leonin Skyhunter
1 Longtusk Cub
1 Oreskos Explorer
1 Qasali Pridemage
1 Sunspear Shikari
1 Whitemane Lion
1 Brimaz, King of Oreskos
1 Fleetfoot Panther
1 Kemba, Kha Regent
1 Mirri, Weatherlight Duelist
1 Pride Sovereign
1 Prowling Serpopard
1 Skyhunter Skirmisher
1 Stalking Leonin
1 Balan, Wandering Knight
1 Jazal Goldmane
1 Temur Sabertooth
1 Qasali Slingers
1 Regal Caracal
1 Felidar Sovereign
1 Nazahn, Revered Bladesmith
1 Raksha Golden Cub
1 White Sun's Zenith

Non-Creatures (24)
Equipment (5)
1 Infiltration Lens
1 Bloodforged Battle-Axe
1 Swiftfoot Boots
1 Sword of the Animist
1 Heirloom Blade

Ramp (6)
1 Sol Ring
1 Mind Stone
1 Selesnya Signet
1 Farseek
1 Herald's Horn
1 Mirari's Wake

Draw/Tutor (4)
1 Mirri's Guile
1 Enlightened Tutor
1 Lifecrafter's Bestiary
1 Ajani, Mentor of Heroes

Removal (5)
1 Path to Exile
1 Swords to Plowshares
1 Wrath of God
1 Dusk // Dawn
1 Austere Command

Protection (1)
1 Reconnaissance
Utility (4)
1 Strionic Resonator
1 Door of Destinies
1 Collective Blessing
1 True Conviction

Lands (36)
1 Command Beacon
1 Command Tower
1 Opal Palace
1 Path of Ancestry
1 Savannah
1 Stirring Wildwood
1 Temple Garden
1 Temple of Plenty
1 Emeria, the Sky Ruin
1 Gaea's Cradle
1 Gavony Township
1 Rogue's Passage
1 Strip Mine
1 Blighted Woodland
1 Krosan Verge
1 Myriad Landscape
1 Windswept Heath
9 Forest
10 Plains

So to mitigate this I'm trying to add some more card flow (and a little ramp and threat resilience). However my problem, as is entirely too common, is coming down to what to cut.
For right now I have a 113 card size deck so I'm turning to you all for help in deciding what to cut.

113 card list:

Commander (1):

Creatures (35)
Cats (35)
1 Jungle Lion
1 Loam Lion
1 Mtenda Lion
1 Pouncing Jaguar
1 Sanctuary Cat
1 Savannah Lions
1 Wild Nacatl
1 Adorned Pouncer
1 Ajani's Pridemate
1 Ajani's Sunstriker
1 Felidar Cub
1 Fleecemane Lion
1 Hungry Lynx
1 Leonin Skyhunter
1 Longtusk Cub
1 Oreskos Explorer
1 Qasali Pridemage
1 Sunspear Shikari
1 Kemba, Kha Regent
1 Pride Sovereign
1 Prowling Serpopard
1 Skyhunter Skirmisher
1 Stalking Leonin
1 Nylea's Emissary
1 Taj-Nar Swordsmith
1 Temur Sabertooth
1 Qasali Slingers
1 Regal Caracal
1 Felidar Sovereign
1 Raksha Golden Cub
1 White Sun's Zenith

Non-Creatures (41)
Equipment (10)
1 Infiltration Lens
1 Bloodforged Battle-Axe
1 Swiftfoot Boots
1 Sword of the Animist
1 Behemoth Sledge
1 Chariot of Victory
1 Heirloom Blade
1 Loxodon Warhammer
1 Nemesis Mask
1 Sword of Vengeance

Ramp (9)
1 Sol Ring
1 Selesnya Signet
1 Farseek
1 Herald's Horn
1 Hour of Promise
1 Mirari's Wake
1 Traverse the Outlands
1 Mana Reflection
1 Boundless Realms
1 Zendikar Resurgent

Draw/Tutor (9)
1 Mirri's Guile
1 Enlightened Tutor
1 Lifecrafter's Bestiary
1 Hunter's Prowess
1 Soul's Majesty
1 Ajani Unyielding
1 Loreseeker's Stone
1 Rishkar's Expertise

Removal (5)
1 Path to Exile
1 Swords to Plowshares
1 Wrath of God
1 Dusk // Dawn
1 Austere Command

Protection (1)
1 Reconnaissance

Utility (6)
1 Rancor
1 Strionic Resonator
1 Duelist's Heritage
1 Door of Destinies
1 Collective Blessing
1 True Conviction

Lands (36)
1 Command Beacon
1 Command Tower
1 Opal Palace
1 Path of Ancestry
1 Savannah
1 Stirring Wildwood
1 Temple Garden
1 Temple of Plenty
1 Emeria, the Sky Ruin
1 Gaea's Cradle
1 Gavony Township
1 Rogue's Passage
1 Strip Mine
1 Hall of the Bandit Lord
1 Blighted Woodland
1 Krosan Verge
1 Myriad Landscape
1 Windswept Heath
8 Forest
10 Plains

Thoughts on cuts:
Nemesis Mask is probably unnecessary.
Mana Reflection is absurdly powerful, but between Mirari's Wake that also acts as an anthem, Zendikar Resurgent that also draws cards, and the fact that the only permanents I have that would make the reflection's mana generation better than those two is limited to 4 cards (Gaea's Cradle, Hall of the Bandit Lord, Sol Ring, and Selesnya Signet) means it's probably safe to cut.

Sanctuary Cat seems odd/weak stats wise, but I consider it a pet card so I'd like to keep it in.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Arahbo Atak Kat
AgePosted: 2017-Sep-12 8:05 am 

Quote:
Mana Reflection is absurdly powerful, but between Mirari's Wake that also acts as an anthem, Zendikar Resurgent that also draws cards, and the fact that the only permanents I have that would make the reflection's mana generation better than those two is limited to 4 cards (Gaea's Cradle, Hall of the Bandit Lord, Sol Ring, and Selesnya Signet) means it's probably safe to cut.
Just throwing it out there, but Mana Reflection is actually best when there are other mana doublers in the deck. Wake+Resurgent=3 mana per tap, but Reflection+either=4 mana per tap and Reflection+both=6.

Mtenda Lion technically has a GU color identity so you can't play it anyways.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Sep-12 8:34 am 

Uktabi_Kong wrote:
Just throwing it out there, but Mana Reflection is actually best when there are other mana doublers in the deck. Wake+Resurgent=3 mana per tap, but Reflection+either=4 mana per tap and Reflection+both=6.
I greatly appreciate the feedback, but I don't believe that's correct. If I'm reading Mirari's Wake and Zendikar Resurgent correctly, it's wake and resurgent that make the additional mana, not the tapped permanent. Where Mana Reflection only cares how much the tapped permanent itself makes.
Reflection then causes that same tapped permanent to make the additional mana, which is why multiple reflections stack as a multiple of 2, giving that accelerated behavior you described.

Quote:
Mtenda Lion technically has a GU color identity so you can't play it anyways.
Wow. I hadn't noticed that. You're totally right.
Well hat's irksome. My 2 power 1-drops are important to my deck's game plan. The card doesn't even flavorfully care about being in a blue deck anyway since the flavor is that the lion's thirsty and thus if an opponent gives him water is why it doesn't deal damage.
I don't think anybody in my play group is going to complain so I'll probably go ahead and leave it in, but if someone gets snippy I suppose it's a justifiable cut. :/

Thank you so much!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Sep-12 4:45 pm 

One card that I've been a fan of in "small creature decks" like this is Uncage the Menagerie. Three three-drop creatures (or all four of your four-drops) for one card is tough to beat. It was an easy swap into the G/W deck out of the box for me, and I think it would play a similar role for you.

Personally, my experience typically led me to having one monster cat in play (you only get one +3/+3 Arabho tirgger), rather than going wide with lots of tokens. With that in mind, I wouldn't have considered Collective Blessing-type effects to be worth it. Your deck might play significantly differently, though.

Current Deckbuilding Project(s):

Izoni, Thousand Eyed (Elf Tribal-ish)
Building $15-25 Intro to Commander Decks for my Local LGS

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Sep-14 3:08 am 

Uncage the Menagerie is SPICY and I'd really love to put it in the deck.

Still need to cut cards though. XD

Collective Blessing. Hm... You have a point about it not being as effective as it would be in a real go wide strategy. I too, also find that I often don't have very many creatures out at once. All the same, the times I've gotten it out it's been incredibly useful as a static buff that I don't have to pay to reequip every time one of my cats dies. If the buff were smaller (like say Gaea's Anthem, or even Dictate of Heliod) I'd be more receptive to cutting it, but +3/+3 is a LOT.
This doesn't mean i won't end up cutting it, just that it has more use than one might think in a deck that doesn't go wide.

On the other hand, Door of Destinies serves the same purpose. Now, there's something to be said for redundancy, but having another existing effect in the deck does make letting go a little easier.

Whelp. Up one, down one. XD

Out:
Collective Blessing

In:
Uncage the Menagerie

Edit: Balan, Wandering Knight can go out too. I'm just not that equipment heavy. Sure a 3/3 first strike for 4 is fine, but it's just so meh in this deck and 2 mana is where I set the cap for "meh" creatures in this deck. Yeah it means I can only get three things with Uncage the Menagerie on x=4, but honestly it's the other 3 targets that excite me for that.

10 cards to go. :)

Edit 2:Gaea's Cradle is just unnecessary in this deck the way it plays. I should put it in my Prossh deck (oooooh, new card Growing Rites of Itlimoc will be dumb in Prossh too. And I know just what to cut for it). I'll swap it for a basic forest here. Not going down a card, but fine tuning is always a good thing.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Sep-15 1:02 pm 

Flyheight wrote:
Hm... You have a point about it not being as effective as it would be in a real go wide strategy. I too, also find that I often don't have very many creatures out at once.

There might be more of these cards you could cut which follows this line of thought. True Conviction is such a flashy and cool card, but I find myself cutting it more and more. Double Strike + Lifelink is strong, but it ends up being more win-more than actually useful. It's a strong card, for sure, but maybe you cover those abilities better with equipment?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Sep-16 2:37 am 

My initial reaction is to say no way no how on losing True Conviction because it literally doubles my damage output, makes my creatures incredibly difficult to kill in combat, and the lifelink helps me brace for the inevitable crackbacks I get from being the early aggressor.

For double strike I did just put in Duelist's Heritage, which is faaaaar cheaper. On the other hand it doesn't give me defensive double strike. Though how important defensive double strike is to my deck...it just doesn't seem as relevant.

For lifelink I've been adding a couple pieces of equipment that do that.

Additionally, more important that straight up double strike for doubling damage output is to be able to punch it through blockers, which True Conviction doesn't help with. Meanwhile my trample equipment both increases my damage output and punches damage through.

I can see trying the deck without True Conviction. Much as it hurts. XD

Another card I'm giving a second eyeball is Reconnaissance. It's cheap and it's incredibly efficient, but I'm just not sure how necessary it is given how dominant my creatures are in combat. Yes it does also give "vigilance" by activating it in the end of combat step, but I'm just not sure it's necessary or even useful in that regard really. My cats are so small on the defense that I just don't want to block with them (with perhaps the exception of a monstrous fleecemane lion).

Out
True Conviction
Reconnaissance

8 to go.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Sep-16 5:24 pm 

Took my pile to EDH night tonight at my LGS and got some suggested cuts down to the point where I could playtest tonight. Pretty much everything that I was told to cut came down to "too slow for what my deck is trying to do" or "this is going to be very inconsistent."
Here's Tonight's build
Out (15):
1 Nemesis Mask
1 Mana Reflection
1 Collective Blessing
1 True Conviction
1 Reconnaissance
1 Uncage the Menagerie
1 Ajani's Pridemate
1 Mtenda Lion
1 Door of Destinies
1 Raksha Golden Cub
1 Loreseeker's Stone
1 Ajani Unyielding
1 Soul's Majesty

In (1):
1 Sacred Cat

Dunno how the Sacred Cat got left out, I never meant to cut it. I'm just spacey. XD

Commander (1):

Creatures (32)
Cats (32)
1 Jungle Lion
1 Loam Lion
1 Pouncing Jaguar
1 Sacred Cat
1 Sanctuary Cat
1 Savannah Lions
1 Wild Nacatl
1 Adorned Pouncer
1 Ajani's Sunstriker
1 Felidar Cub
1 Fleecemane Lion
1 Hungry Lynx
1 Leonin Skyhunter
1 Longtusk Cub
1 Oreskos Explorer
1 Qasali Pridemage
1 Sunspear Shikari
1 Kemba, Kha Regent
1 Pride Sovereign
1 Prowling Serpopard
1 Skyhunter Skirmisher
1 Stalking Leonin
1 Nylea's Emissary
1 Taj-Nar Swordsmith
1 Temur Sabertooth
1 Qasali Slingers
1 Regal Caracal
1 Felidar Sovereign
1 White Sun's Zenith

Non-Creatures (31)
Equipment (9)
1 Infiltration Lens
1 Bloodforged Battle-Axe
1 Swiftfoot Boots
1 Sword of the Animist
1 Behemoth Sledge
1 Chariot of Victory
1 Heirloom Blade
1 Loxodon Warhammer
1 Sword of Vengeance

Ramp (9)
1 Sol Ring
1 Selesnya Signet
1 Farseek
1 Herald's Horn
1 Hour of Promise
1 Mirari's Wake
1 Traverse the Outlands
1 Boundless Realms
1 Zendikar Resurgent

Draw/Tutor (5)
1 Mirri's Guile
1 Enlightened Tutor
1 Lifecrafter's Bestiary
1 Hunter's Prowess
1 Rishkar's Expertise

Removal (5)
1 Path to Exile
1 Swords to Plowshares
1 Wrath of God
1 Dusk // Dawn
1 Austere Command

Utility (3)
1 Rancor
1 Strionic Resonator
1 Duelist's Heritage

Lands (36)
1 Command Beacon
1 Command Tower
1 Opal Palace
1 Path of Ancestry
1 Savannah
1 Stirring Wildwood
1 Temple Garden
1 Temple of Plenty
1 Emeria, the Sky Ruin
1 Mosswort Bridge
1 Gavony Township
1 Rogue's Passage
1 Strip Mine
1 Blighted Woodland
1 Krosan Verge
1 Myriad Landscape
1 Windswept Heath
8 Forest
10 Plains

Cards I need to pick up:
1 Strionic Resonator
1 Prowling Serpopard <- Turns out I only have the 4 for my standard deck. Oops. XD

Creatures/Non-Creatures/Total (33/31/64):
1-7/8/15
2-10/5/15
3-7/8/15
4-3/2/5
5-3/4/7 <-Arahbo here
6-2/2/4
7-0/2/2
x-1/0/1

avg cmc (ignoring the x): 2.71/3.10/2.90

Takeaways from tonight: My threats need to be stickier. I underestimated how much it hurts to have to go through summoning sickness for my threat cats and recasting my general. I want Arahbo on the board as much as possible in order to pump out maximum damage and to do that I either need oodles of mana in order to cast him, pay whatever his current commander tax is, and pay for his second triggered ability, or I need to make sure he stays put on the battlefield the first time I cast him.

To that end I want to find space to put in the following cards:
Hammer of Nazahn
Darksteel Plate
Shield of Kaldra
Asceticism

Beyond that I'm also keeping an eye on:
Privileged Position
Avacyn, Angel of Hope
Heroic Intervention
Teferi's Protection

I'm also finding that I want more cheap card draw. My other card draw spells were cut from the deck due to their high casting cost and inconsistent/uncertain nature.
To that end I'm primarily looking to find places for the following cards:
Keen Sense
Sixth Sense
Snake Umbra
Harmonize

Beyond that I'm keeping an eye on:
Mask of Memory
Skullclamp
Sensei's Divining Top
Sword of Light and Shadow
Sword of Fire and Ice
Marshal's Anthem
Drumhunter
Feral Prowler
Frantic Salvage
Ghirapur Orrery
Mentor of the Meek
Puresteel Paladin
Sram, Senior Edificer
Pursuit of Knowledge
Sea Gate Wreckage
Sylvan Library
Abundance
Well of Lost Dreams
Bygone Bishop
Coercive Portal

Mirror Entity was also suggested to me, but at this point I don't see it being as high a priority as stickiness or card flow.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Flyheight on 2017-Sep-17 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Sep-16 10:26 pm 

Flyheight wrote:
Took my pile to EDH night tonight at my LGS and got some suggested cuts down to the point where I could playtest tonight. Pretty much everything that I was told to cut came down to "too slow for what my deck is trying to do" or "this is going to be very inconsistent."

These words were kinda what I had been thinking, but was trying to find a way to explain it respectfully since you seemed attached to a lot of the cards in the deck. It's easier to do in person than over the internet in that case.

Do you find your creatures dying after you pump them up? Maybe Greater Good is something to consider for card draw.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Sep-17 5:53 am 

Hahah! I appreciate your thoughtfulness. I swear I don't bite, I just like to hear solid reasons and rebuttals for cuts and my thoughts on the matter.
If I seem attached to something it's because I think it's doing good work. If you think otherwise, please just give me a reason.

The only pet card in the deck is really Sanctuary Cat and it would be the only thing I'd absolutely say "no" to cutting. In my opinion there's got to be room for a pet or joke card or two in every deck. =p

You're totally right though, it was much easier to blow through this logic train in person than it is online. It didn't hurt to be talking to friends who both have a collection of decks that range from fairly casual to highly tuned. The key thing is that they weren't afraid to talk me through my rebuttals, but that kind of back and forth is MUCH easier and happens much faster in person.

Greater Good was also suggested to my by them, given how large my attackers can get, but I was iffy on it last night because I didn't want to go sacrificing my few threats. In my experience most forms of removal are sorcery speed in EDH, granted there are certainly some instant speed answers that get played. Thinking about it more though, the fact that the deck has absolutely ZERO sacrifice outlets right now is currently swaying me on the card. The deck may not have sacrifice synergies, but something I've learned over the course of many commander games is to never underestimate the utility of being able to sacrifice your own creature at instant speed to prevent your opponent from getting a scary use out of it and to mitigate removals spells.

In(11):
Protection (5):
Hammer of Nazahn
Darksteel Plate
Shield of Kaldra
Asceticism
Teferi's Protection
Draw(6):
Keen Sense
Sixth Sense
Snake Umbra
Sword of Fire and Ice
Sea Gate Wreckage
Greater Good

Out (6):
Forest
Oreskos Explorer
Taj-Nar Swordsmith
Felidar Sovereign
Heirloom Blade
Mirari's Wake

So I'm 5 cards off right now.
It's possible that I'm adding too many cards so feel free to suggest not putting in some of those cards. The only thing is that the Forest only comes out if the Sea Gate Wreckage goes in. I'm not willing to go down any more lands.

Admittedly I really don't like dropping my cat collection, but it's possible that it can handle being lower than I've been giving it credit for. Especially given that the cat count that's really important are the 1 and 2 drops and I'm only going down 1 of those.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Sep-17 4:19 pm 

Reevaluating some things that I have been thinking of as staples, but now in the light of the perspective of my deck plan I wonder if I can get away without them. My 1 and 2 drop kitten assault plan requires so much dedication in terms of room, that I really have to rethink what I can and can't afford to try to cast.

Out (4):
Boundless Realms
Zendikar Resurgent
White Sun's Zenith
Forest

No Longer In (1):
Shield of Kaldra

Atak Kat V3:

Commander (1):

Creatures (28)
Cats (28)
1 Jungle Lion
1 Loam Lion
1 Pouncing Jaguar
1 Sacred Cat
1 Sanctuary Cat
1 Savannah Lions
1 Wild Nacatl
1 Adorned Pouncer
1 Ajani's Sunstriker
1 Felidar Cub
1 Fleecemane Lion
1 Hungry Lynx
1 Leonin Skyhunter
1 Longtusk Cub
1 Qasali Pridemage
1 Sunspear Shikari
1 Kemba, Kha Regent
1 Pride Sovereign
1 Prowling Serpopard
1 Skyhunter Skirmisher
1 Stalking Leonin
1 Nylea's Emissary
1 Temur Sabertooth
1 Qasali Slingers
1 Regal Caracal

Non-Creatures (36)
Equipment (11)
1 Infiltration Lens
1 Bloodforged Battle-Axe
1 Swiftfoot Boots
1 Sword of the Animist
1 Behemoth Sledge
1 Chariot of Victory
1 Darksteel Plate
1 Loxodon Warhammer
1 Sword of Fire and Ice
1 Sword of Vengeance
1 Hammer of Nazahn

Ramp (6)
1 Sol Ring
1 Selesnya Signet
1 Farseek
1 Herald's Horn
1 Hour of Promise
1 Traverse the Outlands

Draw/Tutor (9)
1 Enlightened Tutor
1 Keen Sense
1 Mirri's Guile
1 Sixth Sense
1 Lifecrafter's Bestiary
1 Snake Umbra
1 Greater Good
1 Hunter's Prowess
1 Rishkar's Expertise

Removal (5)
1 Path to Exile
1 Swords to Plowshares
1 Wrath of God
1 Dusk // Dawn
1 Austere Command

Protection (2)
1 Teferi's Protection
1 Asceticism

Utility (3)
1 Rancor
1 Strionic Resonator
1 Duelist's Heritage

Lands (35)
1 Command Beacon
1 Command Tower
1 Opal Palace
1 Path of Ancestry
1 Savannah
1 Stirring Wildwood
1 Temple Garden
1 Temple of Plenty
1 Emeria, the Sky Ruin
1 Mosswort Bridge
1 Gavony Township
1 Rogue's Passage
1 Sea Gate Wreckage
1 Strip Mine
1 Blighted Woodland
1 Krosan Verge
1 Myriad Landscape
1 Windswept Heath
6 Forest
10 Plains

Cards I need to pick up:
1 Strionic Resonator <- I think I'm just going to pull this out of a deck that's been underperforming, same with my SoFI
1 Prowling Serpopard <- Turns out I only have the 4 for my standard deck. Oops. XD
1 Greater Good <- I might actually have this, but I can't check right now.

Creatures/Non-Creatures/Total (29/36/65):
1-7/10/17
2-9/5/14
3-7/11/18
4-2/4/6
5-3/4/7 <-Arahbo here
6-1/2/3

avg cmc: 2.59/2.81/2.71
That's a rather low average cmc all around. Hopefully that means that 35 lands can support it.

Spot Removal: 8 (4 creature, 3 artifact/enchantment, 1 land)<- Qasali Slingers here

Wipes (non targeting): 3 (2 creature only, 1 multi type)

True Draw and Tutors: 13
Other Cardflow and Recursion: 7

Ramp: 10

For cutting so many "staples" I've managed to keep all my numbers for these categories in pretty reasonable places. That makes me feel much more comfortable with this version of the deck. Here's hoping.
Of course I'm still open to input. :)

Edit: Update on Need to pick ups
Need:
Prowling Serpopard
Greater Good <- The one I have is in Meren, and there it will stay. Currently placeheld in this deck by Evolutionary Leap
Asceticism <- Using all of mine. Currently placeheld by Kindred Boon
Keen Sense <- Apparently I didn't have one hanging around from way back when. Currently placeheld by Key to the City

Actually have:
Hall of the Bandit Lord <- had a copy in a retired deck
Strionic Resonator <- pulled from underperforming deck

Also swapping one of those cut Forests for a cut Plains. Don't want to make my mana base too lopsided. Now 7/9 split.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Sep-18 11:26 am 

Funny enough, Boundless Realms and White Sun's Zenith were two of the cards I was thinking you might consider cutting. Realms is just a big card which doesn't really advance your board state meaningfully when taking into context relying heavily on low-CMC creatures. Zenith is another going-wide strategy which doesn't really fit the lone wolf strategy you're going for. I had also been eyeing your Ajani planeswalkers and wondering if Ajani, Caller of the Pride might have been a better choice for redundancy of effects, but it looks like you got rid of your planeswalkers with this iteration.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Sep-18 12:27 pm 

It's comforting to hear that the cards you were considering were ones I ended up cutting.
Ajani, Caller of the Pride is looking pretty spicy from the "go tall" aspect I've been apparently adopting. That -3 is straight gas.
I'll think about it, but I'm not overly concerned about finding space for it. I think Duelist's Heritage is probably the better double strike enabler because it's harder to remove. While the heritage doesn't grant flying, that's what all my trample is for.
Planeswalkers are just so fragile in multiplayer when you aren't going wide.

Thanks much! :)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Sep-19 8:01 am 

Yeah, I understand completely. Caller of the Pride only would have made sense if you were determined to keep at least one Ajani card in the deck for flavor purposes or something. Since you took them all out, seems fine enough to leave it on the sidelines until it seems like some other card is under-performing.

The list you have seems like a really good start, so once you get some games in with it say how it turned out.

Offline Profile