Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Jan-18 7:25 pm

Post subject: Go Ninja! Go Ninja! Go! (Yuriko, the Tiger's Shadow)
AgePosted: 2018-Aug-16 7:51 pm 

Commander - (1)
1 Yuriko, the Tiger's Shadow

Creatures - (33)
1 Ornithopter
1 Hope of Ghirapur
1 Signal Pest
1 Mist-Cloaked Herald
1 Tormented Soul
1 Faerie Impostor
1 Shadow Alley Denizen
1 Gudul Lurker
1 Will-O'-The-Wisp
1 Lazav, the Multifarious
1 Dimir Infiltrator
1 Baleful Strix
1 Relic Runner
1 Spellseeker
1 Tetsuko Umezawa, Fugitive
1 Skullsnatcher
1 Baral, Chief of Compliance
1 Walker of Secret Ways
1 Sedraxis Alchemist
1 Mistblade Shinobi
1 Mogis's Marauder
1 Neurok Invisimancer
1 Ninja of the Deep Hours
1 Escaped Null
1 Etrata, the Silencer
1 Okiba-Gang Shinobi
1 Higure, the Still Wind
1 Throat Slitter
1 Vela the Night-Clad
1 Ink-Eyes, Servant of Oni
1 Silent-Blade Oni
1 Breaker of Armies
1 Void Winnower

Instants - (19)
1 Brainstorm
1 Darkness
1 Mental Misstep
1 Countersquall
1 Cyclonic Rift
1 Dash Hopes
1 Deprive
1 Dimir Charm
1 Familiar's Ruse
1 Withering Boon
1 Disappearing Act
1 Perplex
1 Psychic Strike
1 Soul Manipulation
1 Undermine
1 Unwind
1 Foil
1 Rewind
1 Force of Will

Sorceries - (5)
1 Slip Through Space
1 Touch of Invisibility
1 Open into Wonder
1 Distortion Strike
1 Living Death

Artifacts - (9)
1 Sol Ring
1 Dimir Signet
1 Dimir Cluestone
1 Dimir Locket
1 Glaring Spotlight
1 Isochron Scepter
1 Dowsing Dagger
1 Elixir of Immortality
1 Skyshaper

Enchantments - (2)
1 Arcane Adaptation
1 Dire Undercurrents

Planeswalkers - (1)
1 Tezzeret, Artifice Master

Lands - (30)
8 Island
8 Swamp
1 Rogue's Passage
1 Hall of the Bandit Lord
1 Dimir Aqueduct
1 Drowned Catacomb
1 Temple of Deceit
1 Watery Grave
1 Lonely Sandbar
1 Barren Moor
1 Remote Isle
1 Polluted Mire
1 Faerie Conclave
1 Spawning Pool
1 Halimar Depths
1 Bojuka Bog

When Commander 2018 was released Yuriko, the Tiger's Shadow or as one of my friends likes to nickname her "Tiger Lily" caught his eye and has been thinking about building a Commander deck around her. I posted a rough draft of the deck that he's considering on running and didn't think it was too bad though I'm a bit concerned that he's going to sell the deck later on like he did when I helped build him Hapatra, Vizier of Poisons and Jodah, Archmage Eternal.

Any help, advice, and/or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Card Slinger J on 2018-Nov-09 7:36 pm, edited 33 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Go Ninja! Go Ninja! Go! (Yuriko, the Tiger's Shadow)
AgePosted: 2018-Aug-17 5:16 am 

Oh man, I love ninjas and I am so excited that they finally get a two-color commander. I bought the Black and Blue intro decks when Betrayers of Kamigawa was released and I have been playing Ninjas in one form or another ever since.

There are a few things I think you could do to improve your deck.

The first and most important is that you really want more creatures. Ninjas are really bad when you are hardcasting them.
I have found that the best creatures to play alongside Ninjas are creatures with ETB (or LTB) effects and an evasion ability. Thalakos Seer is a good one, but you need more.
One of the greatest strengths of Ninjas is the ability to re-use ETB effects.
Examples would include Baleful Strix, Skyscanner, Pilgrim's Eye, Mulldrifter, Shriekmaw, Augury Owl, Nevermaker etc.
The next best is ETB creatures with removal attached. These can help clear the way for your Ninjas and then be re-used via Ninjutsu.
Examples include Aether Adept, Nekrataal, Gatekeeper of Malakir, Venser, Shaper Savant, Exclusion Mage, Ravenous Chupacabra, etc.
You also probably want a few one-drop creatures (maybe four or five), because getting your commander out turn two will really turbo-boost your deck.
I think my favorites are Signal Pest, Ornithopter, Mothdust Changeling, Blight Keeper, Bloodsoaked Champion, Hypnotic Siren, Siren Stormtamer, Wingcrafter.

The second thing is that I don't think the big mana spells (High Tide, Spoils of Evil, etc.) are very effective in this deck, since you want to be spending part of your mana during combat, and nothing in the deck is truly that expensive anyways.
You would probably be better off adding more rocks or even Dark Ritual, or ways to get extra land drops like Terrain Generator and Walking Atlas.
You probably want to run more lands, even though they feel bad when you hit them with Yuriko.

I am also pretty skeptical of Living Death, Show and Tell, Soulquake, and Empty the Catacombs. If people are playing goodstuff decks, they will almost certainly make out better than you on these spells.
Death Denied is a good one-sided spell that can get your whole grave back. Footbottom Feast and Gravepurge put cards on top of your deck to set up Yuriko triggers.

Hopefully some of that was helpful, and I hope your friend has fun with Ninjas.

I really wanted to build this deck too, but my LGS sold out of the Esper precon and I can't even find a Yuriko in stock online.

Riku: Pump Spells
Teneb: Life Manipulation
Kiki-Jiki: Big Red
Geth: Nim
Kodama of the North Tree: Hard Mode Voltron
Nin: Elementals
Sram: Jankstorm
Zur: Zombies
Rhys the Redeemed: Aura Voltron
Chandra, Fire of Kaladesh: Chandras
Ojutai, Soul of Winter: Tap Out Control
Alesha: Allies
Inalla: Treasures
Vial Smasher: Lava Axes
Atraxa: Counterless Keywords
Ludevic and Tymna: Curses

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Aug-18 7:18 am 

Don't forget your mutant ninja turtle: Turtleshell Changeling. Actually, that's probably the worst changeling in Commander, but most of the others seem reasonable in Yuriko.

Coco's advice is all good. Yuriko definitely wants more creatures. If most of your creatures are ninjas or evasive creatures mostly to enable ninjutsu, you probably don't need Conspiracy and Arcane Adaptation. On the other hand, you could instead focus the deck around them (and Xenograft), with more tutors to find them and lots of token producing cards. That plan is easier to disrupt, but doesn't require playing the mediocre ninjas and changelings.

How is Doomsday supposed to work in this deck? If it doesn't reliably win the game, it's probably too risky. And if it does, it's probably too competitive for the rest of the deck, causing players who know about it to target you when other players have more threatening boards.

Some other cards I'm skeptical about in this deck are: Cabal Ritual, Songs of the Damned, Flash, Spoils of Evil, Retraced Image, Energy Tap, Show and Tell, Torment of Hailfire, Minion Reflector, Cryptic Gateway, and Dreams of the Dead. Most of them are too situational or win-more, are anti-synergistic with ninjas, or don't do anything until late game.

I think you could use more answers to aggro and combo instead. Spot removal, counterspells, and cards like Aetherize will keep you and your creatures alive while you drain your opponents and generate card advantage.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Aug-19 11:17 am 

I just suggested in another thread that Neurok Invisimancer would be awesome for this kind of deck, being able to pretty much ensure a ninjitsu use every turn.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Aug-20 4:57 am 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
I just suggested in another thread that Neurok Invisimancer would be awesome for this kind of deck, being able to pretty much ensure a ninjitsu use every turn.

I was meaning to ask, how do you manage using it that way? What's the process?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Aug-20 7:32 am 

spacemonaut wrote:
Sid the Chicken wrote:

Not sure if I wrote it in a way that is easy to understand, but:

1. Play invisimancer, target a creature already in play. Attack with that creature, ninjitsu that creature.
2. Next turn, attack with invisimancer, ninjitsu the invismancer. Replay the creature from step 1 or play another creature.
3. Invisimancer is back in your hand to repeat step 1 with the creature you played in step 2.

Riku: Pump Spells
Teneb: Life Manipulation
Kiki-Jiki: Big Red
Geth: Nim
Kodama of the North Tree: Hard Mode Voltron
Nin: Elementals
Sram: Jankstorm
Zur: Zombies
Rhys the Redeemed: Aura Voltron
Chandra, Fire of Kaladesh: Chandras
Ojutai, Soul of Winter: Tap Out Control
Alesha: Allies
Inalla: Treasures
Vial Smasher: Lava Axes
Atraxa: Counterless Keywords
Ludevic and Tymna: Curses

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Aug-20 10:25 am 

Coco wrote:
spacemonaut wrote:
Sid the Chicken wrote:

Not sure if I wrote it in a way that is easy to understand, but:

1. Play invisimancer, target a creature already in play. Attack with that creature, ninjitsu that creature.
2. Next turn, attack with invisimancer, ninjitsu the invismancer. Replay the creature from step 1 or play another creature.
3. Invisimancer is back in your hand to repeat step 1 with the creature you played in step 2.

That. If you don't have another guy in play, you might have to wait until the invisomancer can swing, but that would be the process.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Aug-20 10:41 am 

Note also the "other guy" could be the ninja you dropped in off the Invisomancer the previous turn, cos I hear those guys all have "combat damage to a player" triggers ;)

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

"I'm happy to serve as a quote machine" - Sheldon

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Aug-20 10:58 am 

That's brilliant. I couldn't piece it together but now I see. Thanks. :D

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Aug-20 7:56 pm 

Something like Helm of the Host is nice toe recycle Invisimancer triggers. Don't forget to bring your Dismiss into Dream.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Aug-21 9:51 am 

Shabbaman wrote:
Something like Helm of the Host is nice toe recycle Invisimancer triggers. Don't forget to bring your Dismiss into Dream.

That's dirty. See also: Blade of Selves

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Aug-21 9:53 am 

Viperion wrote:
Note also the "other guy" could be the ninja you dropped in off the Invisomancer the previous turn, cos I hear those guys all have "combat damage to a player" triggers ;)

Absolutely true, although I was talking about the situation where you have an empty board when you cast Invisimancer - in that less than ideal scenario, you don't get value off the first ETB trigger, but you do get to start the chain once it can attack.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-09 4:49 pm 

NMS wrote:
How is Doomsday supposed to work in this deck? If it doesn't reliably win the game, it's probably too risky. And if it does, it's probably too competitive for the rest of the deck, causing players who know about it to target you when other players have more threatening boards.

Yeah Insidious Dreams is a much safer bet than Doomsday since you're discarding cards instead of losing life plus I also managed to streamline this deck a bit more after learning how the deck worked from a friend of mine.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-26 5:30 pm 

I had a couple of games last night with my Yuriko deck, some considerations:

First game started perfect: T1 Triton Shorestalker, T2 ninjutsu Yuriko revealing Plague Wind. That however painted a hugh bullseye on my little ninja girl, I got trampled underfoot not so much later by the whole table.

Second game went better, mainly because I didn't get a lot of top deck manipulation so ninjutsu'd into revealing lands a couple of times and a mana crypt. However, I did get an Attrition that sticked, and a Baleful Strix and Tetsuko Umezawa to connect, Ninjutsu and sacrifice Yuriko for profit thing going. I was helped by a player that had a Purphoros, god of the forge + Norin the Wary going early on, lowering all life totals, and managed to steal a win with a ninjutsu into revealing Dig Through Time.

Attrition was awesome in this deck, top deck manipulation is essential, and I need to find ways to get more life loss across the whole table.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-27 2:29 pm 

Nigerian Prince wrote:

Attrition was awesome in this deck, top deck manipulation is essential, and I need to find ways to get more life loss across the whole table.

How about some big delve spells? Dig through Time, Treasure Cruise, and the time walk one all get you big life drain effects without clogging your mana curve.

Offline Profile