Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-May-22 8:41 am

Post subject: Viperion's 32 deck challenge: GWU/Bant: Rafiq of the Voltron
AgePosted: 2018-Oct-06 1:29 pm 

ImageImageImageRafiq of the ManyImageImageImage

Theme: Rafiq Voltron (Commander Damage), the same as everyone else's Rafiq Voltron

Link to deckstats deck list: https://deckstats.net/decks/5132/110560 ... cks-like-t

Decklist:
//Sideboard
1 Rafiq of the Many #!Commander

// Making Rafiq more dangerous
1 Armadillo Cloak
1 Artful Dodge
1 Asha's Favor
1 Champion's Helm #also protection
1 Favor of the Overbeing
1 Forgotten Ancient
1 Gigantiform
1 Lightning Greaves #also protection
1 Loxodon Warhammer
1 Might of Oaks
1 Nature's Blessing
1 Thistledown Liege
1 Tricks of the Trade
1 Shield of the Oversoul #also protection
1 Sigil Blessing
1 Sigil of Valor
1 Steel of the Godhead
1 Stonewood Invocation #also protection
1 Swiftfoot Boots #also protection
1 Sword of Vengeance
1 Sword of War and Peace
1 View from Above

// EXalted Stuff
1 Akrasan Squire
1 Angelic Benediction
1 Aven Squire
1 Finest Hour
1 Frontline Sage
1 Qasali Pridemage
1 Sighted-Caste Sorcerer
1 Sigiled Paladin
1 Sublime Archangel

// Protection
1 Asceticism
1 Azorius Guildmage
1 Bant Charm
1 Blustersquall
1 Divine Reckoning
1 Draining Whelk
1 Glen Elendra Archmage
1 Hinder
1 Negate
1 Privileged Position
1 Redirect
1 Render Silent
1 Sheltering Word
1 Simic Charm # also buffs Rafiq
1 Spell Crumple
1 Stoic Angel
1 Voidmage Husher
1 Voidslime

// Other
1 Coiling Oracle
1 Congregation at Dawn
1 Cytoshape #most often used for protection
1 Path to Exile
1 Snakeform
1 Stonehewer Giant
1 Sun Titan
1 Three Dreams
1 Urban Evolution
1 Wargate

// Mana
1 Birds of Paradise
1 Bloom Tender
1 Safewright Quest
1 Bant Panorama
1 Breeding Pool
1 Command Tower
1 Eiganjo Castle
1 Evolving Wilds
8 Forest
1 Glacial Fortress
1 Hall of the Bandit Lord
1 Hallowed Fountain
9 Island
9 Plains
1 Rogue's Passage #also dAngerous
1 Sunpetal Grove
1 Terramorphic Expanse

Notes/Comments: This is the deck I bust out when I want to win - it's by far my most efficient deck at executing it's game plan. Everyone knows it's dangerous but it can still win a turn or two earlier thanks to things like Stonewood Invocation or Might of Oaks. I don't play this one a lot as it's just too good and too fast for the majority of my group. I realise in the global situation this is probably laughably un-optimised though ;)

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

"I'm happy to serve as a quote machine" - Sheldon

Last edited by Viperion on 2019-Mar-18 6:34 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Viperion's 32 deck challenge: GWU/Bant: Rafiq of the Voltron
AgePosted: 2018-Oct-06 1:29 pm 

Most recent updates:

13/3/19
-1 Plains
+1 Command Tower

-1 Civic Saber
+1 Qasali Pridemage

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

Last edited by Viperion on 2019-Mar-18 6:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-06 1:30 pm 

Cards wanted:
Open into Wonder

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-07 1:55 pm 

Viperion wrote:
[ I don't play this one a lot as it's just too good and too fast for the majority of my group. I realise in the global situation this is probably laughably un-optimised though ;)

Yeah. But how optimized did you want it to be? If you wanted it to be better, the easiest way is to focus on either enchantments or equipments, instead of splitting between both. Rafiq doesn't actually need a ton of buffs (just dropping Rancor on him starts ending people pretty quick), but you get to focus your support cards a little bit more.

Either way, Giltspire Avenger and Grunn, the Lonely King seem pretty fun.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-07 2:35 pm 

I think splitting between artifacts and enchantments is actually a better plan than specializing; it means you don't get blown out by Vandalblast or Back to Nature type effects.

Giltspire Avenger could probably find a place here; if I'm attacking with a single creature it's going to be Rafiq, so not sure how much good Grunn would do me.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-09 12:00 pm 

It's not so much the auras or equips themselves, it's the support cards that go around them

Rafiq's immensely dangerous with a single sword or Rancor, so it's pretty easy to force someone with a sweeper to trade 1-for-1 (or let 'em have the 2-fer, it's probably fine).

But if you skew towards enchantments, suddenly all the Enchantress type cards become "live" (I feel like this is the strongest way to build the deck, but I have friends who disagree). The same is true for equips; suddenly cards like Puresteel Paladin, Nahiri, etc. become much better. Once you have a card advantage engine built, you have a lot of card advantage that's really tough for board wipes to contain (again, this is why I feel like the enchants build is better... there tend to be fewer enchantment sweepers).

Also, Bane of Progress is the deadliest board wipe this kind of deck faces, and it doesn't care which you play.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-11 6:44 am 

Rafiq was basically my #1 favorite commander in the format for like the first 6 or 7 years of his existence, so I have a lot of thoughts about this, as you might imagine. All I will say for now though is, I agree that a mix of Equipment and Auras is the way to go.

Sure, once in a blue moon I wind up really wanting to equip Sword of Fire and Ice while Steel of the Godhead is attached and get a wee bit of a feel-bad moment, but that's been SUPER rare in my experience. As Kemev says, Rafiq doesn't need a lot of buffs to be lethal.

EDIT: A big aspect of my Rafiq decks has always been to take advantage of Rafiq's doublestrike-granting ability via combat damage triggers. Think Augury Adept, Cold-Eyed Selkie and Cephalid Constable. (Constable is pretty mean and I've only run it in maybe 10% of my many, many iterations of this deck).

See also: Daxos, Derevi, Edric, Looter il-Kor, Vedlken Heretic, Trygon Predator, Riptide Pilferer, Ohran Viper, Raven Guild Master.

You could easily cut 4 or 5 of the weaker cards in the list for a smattering of these saboteur creatures who get double their value off Rafiq's doublestrike bonus.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-11 7:35 am 

Those are all good creatures who get helped by double strike I agree, but I'm going to say this again:

Quote:
if I'm attacking with a single creature it's going to be Rafiq

So I don't think they fit in this version of the deck. I don't see a scenario where I have Rafiq and some other creatures on board, and can get one of those creatures to connect with an opponent, and I choose a creature that isn't Rafiq

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-11 8:01 am 

It's neat that we have dueling bant threads going at the moment. Both this and the Tuvasa deck are working in the same space with very different lists.

Offline Profile