Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2018-Nov-18 12:22 am

Post subject: Chaos colored dragons: Vial Smasher & Kydele, feat. Sarkhan
AgePosted: 2018-Oct-17 12:47 am 

This deck is a love letter to Sarkhan and his dragons. This deck's constraints were: dragon tribal, featuring Sarkhan Unbroken (specifically one given to me by Swmystery and their partner for Grixmas 2017), but not 5C dragons (because otherwise I might feel like the deck has just built itself).

This started out as a temur-colored dragons deck, but Temur (with only one allied color pair) didn't really play well—at least by what I was trying to build. That meant adding either black or white, and black seemed to play best.

Quote:
Commanders:
Vial Smasher the Fierce & Kydele, Chosen of Kruphix

Deck list: Chaos colored dragons
(Also grouped by category—draw, ramp, etc)

Creature, by CMC (36 inc. commanders, 30 dragons)
= not a dragon

Artifact (3)

Enchantment (9)

Instant (7)

Sorcery (6)

Planeswalker (2)

Land (37)

Function highlights:

Quote:

To-do list:

- I probably have too much hard removal, but would like to keep a decent quantity of enchantment removal: my locale is low on enchantment removal and also high on enchantment play.
- Could drop Kindred Summons for space and have Sarkhan Unbroken as the only Summons card?
- Dowsing Dagger seems perfect for the deck.

Open to feedback & constructive criticism.

Last edited by spacemonaut on 2018-Oct-18 3:22 am, edited 12 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Chaos colored dragons: Ludevic & Ikra Shidiqi, feat. Sarkhan
AgePosted: 2018-Oct-17 2:57 pm 

This is a really neat list!

How wedded are you to Ludevic + Ikra? I might be tempted to swap for Kydele, Chosen of Kruphix + Vial Smasher the Fierce. Kydele gives you a guaranteed ramp source (even if some turns she's just kinda a bad Llanowar Elf), and you've got enough high-CMC stuff to get a bang out of Vial Smasher.

At a glance, it also feels like the deck wants more haste. It's got Karrthus, Tyrant of Jund and Dragonlord Kolaghan available... their secondary abilities aren't much, but haste.

spacemonaut wrote:
I probably have too much hard removal

There is no such thing

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Chaos colored dragons: Ludevic & Ikra Shidiqi, feat. Sarkhan
AgePosted: 2018-Oct-17 8:55 pm 

Kemev wrote:
This is a really neat list!

How wedded are you to Ludevic + Ikra? I might be tempted to swap for Kydele, Chosen of Kruphix + Vial Smasher the Fierce. Kydele gives you a guaranteed ramp source (even if some turns she's just kinda a bad Llanowar Elf), and you've got enough high-CMC stuff to get a bang out of Vial Smasher.

Thank you! :D

I'm not wedded to Ludevic+Ikra, I just need a good partner pair in chaos colors. Considering the draw power this deck could reach some turns, Kydele could be quite a hit... :O

Kemev wrote:
At a glance, it also feels like the deck wants more haste. It's got Karrthus, Tyrant of Jund and Dragonlord Kolaghan available... their secondary abilities aren't much, but haste.

... huh. So that's why people play Dragonlord Kolaghan in EDH dragon decks. I was scratching my head as to why he showed up on EDHRec in Dragon tribal. That makes a lot of sense now that I focus more on the first ability than the second.

I agree, given the token and summons strategies and overall aggression levels this deck wants more haste. I don't want to be going off and then wait a round for a board wipe. I've added the current haste sources to functional highlights (just two from what I could see) and I'll try to find room for Karrthus and Kolaghan.

Kemev wrote:
spacemonaut wrote:
I probably have too much hard removal

There is no such thing

I appreciate the reassurance. :lol: I needed to hear that.

~~~

After giving it some thought I've made the following changes:

Vial Smasher the Fierce and Kydele, Chosen of Kruphix are now the commanders, replacing Ikra Shidiqi, the Usurper and Ludevic, Necro-Alchemist. They're more in tune with the deck's playstyle: they burn things to the ground and ramp out more dragons.

I'll switch back if I'm burning things down fine and ramping without them, and need lifegain and draw and a means of deflecting and/or surviving attacks directed my way.

Phantasmal Dragon and Sarkhan, the Dragonspeaker have been removed for Karrthus, Tyrant of Jund and Dragonlord Kolaghan. Given Kydele is in the deck, the 4CMC slot is less critical to fill.

Offline Profile