Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Jun-15 7:30 am

Post subject: Ishai-Ikra Relentless Rats
AgePosted: 2019-Feb-15 9:44 am 

I'd wanted to build a Relentless Rats deck for a while. The goal was to make use of Bloodbond March and have a never ended tide of rats. I was originally torn between Karador and Damia for colors. White gave me some interesting reanimation, like Reveillark[card] and blue gave me the nifty [card]Sphinx of the Chimes

I originally went with Damia, then switched to Muldrotha... But Muldrotha is too cool to waste on Rats.

So I finally broke down and went with a Partner (rather than build Atraxa... also a waste with Rats).

Commaders
Ishai, Ojutai Dragonspeaker
Ikra Shidiqi, the Usurper

Creatures
31x Relentless Rats
Sphinx of the Chimes
Eternal Witness
Brawn

Instants
Swords to Plowshares
Crop Rotation (fetches Urborg or Coffers)
Cackling Counterpart
Mortify

Sorceries
Spring // Mind
Rite of Replication
Immortal Servitude
Life's Legacy
Mind Spring
Cultivate
Kodama's Reach
Primal Growth
Harmonize
Distant Melody (I'm not sure about this one)
Wrath of God
Day of Judgement
Decree of Pain

Enchantments
Cathars' Crusade
Bloodbond March
Gravepact
Attrition
Remembrance
Dictate of Erebos

Artifacts
Expedition Map
Golgari Signet
Orzhov Signet
Chromatic Lantern

Lands (I think I'm running 37)
Lots of Black, with Cabal Coffers and an Urborg.
Seems stable, but could use about $100 of good dual lands.

So far it's fun. Its not great. But I enjoy it. I would like a more fitting set of partners.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Ishai-Ikra Relentless Rats
AgePosted: 2019-Feb-15 3:50 pm 

Nantuko Shrine was great for me when I was foolin around with Shadowborn Apostle decks. It's probably worse with rats, but still probably good enough.

I feel like there's some fine-tuning/clean-up swaps that would generally make the deck smoother. For example, you're playing a lot of the 3-mana ramp spells, but they fit awkwardly on curve with your rats. If you played a 2-4 ramp plan instead (ie, all of the 2-mana Rampant Growth effects, then all of the 4-mana Explosive Vegetation effects), you'd better set yourself up for early plays like ramp-rat-ramp-rat*2, or ramp into multiple rats per turn.

I'd probably swap a couple of your board wipes for Living Death and Dusk // Dawn.

If you weren't happy with your current partner combo, Tymna the Weaver and Kydele, Chosen of Kruphix might be a better pair. They get you ramp and draw, and they work well together. You could also run Thrasios instead of Kydele -- you're not currently running Thrumming Stone, but they'd work well together.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Ishai-Ikra Relentless Rats
AgePosted: 2019-Feb-15 10:31 pm 

I the games I've played early rats haven't been great. the 3 mana ramps get lands out of the deck pretty well so I'm drawing into more rats or hitting other good stuff.

Living death is one I've considered. Dusk // Dawn is on my short list of things to add. This just isn't a deck I'm in the mood to buy cards for yet. I'm not convinced its going to be a permanent addition to my collection.

Offline Profile