Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Apr-20 8:27 pm

Post subject: Kumano, Master Yamabushi
AgePosted: 2019-Feb-02 11:20 pm 

Short Introduction:
I'm not a new member and have been rather inactive for a long time. Recently I got into some new playgroups, and I'm more into Commander than ever. So without the depression and bitterness from the past and with some new thinking, here we go.

Premise of the deck:
Originally it was meant to be a weak fun deck, just slapping together some red cards out of my collection, but in time it grew on me and I started improving it, even ordering some cards.
The first Version was planned to use Hazoret as general, but I couldn't get my hands on her and was to stingy with my money, so I opted for Kumano. I must say, I think I like him even more. He has that old veteran firebender monk style. I really like him and since red is not so good with card draw, he can do stuff even with an empty hand.
The deck should have that old-shool pyromancer vibe to it and I'm sometimes priorizing some cards just for style. It's meant to be casual and fun after all and embrace the heart of the format. It fits well into my playgroup and my girlfriend, who I would say is natural born red when it comes to games, loves this deck. She said: Gimme somethin' to smash things and that's not overly complicated.

------------------------------------------

Commander:
Kumano, Master Yamabushi

Cards, that interact with Kumano:
Heartstone
Embermaw Hellion
Neheb, the Eternal (Well, some theme sacrifice here, but he is really awesome and looks awesome too. Could even be used as alternative general. Playing Earthquake for 5 and get 15 mana from three opponents is... nice.)

Ramp:
Sol Ring
Ruby Medallion
Seething Song
Mana Geyser (This card often comes out of nowwhere and hits like truck)
Caged Sun

(well, could be more. I don't know whether I should play more ramp artifacts. Also maybe Immortal Sun and/or Extraplanar Lens)

Pyromancer's toolbox:
Pyromancer's Gauntlet
Pyromancer's Goggles
Primal Amulet
Swiftfoot Boots
Lightning Greaves

(I don't know, I'd like to imagine Kumano waering all this stuff. It doesn't fit the theme of a shaman, but I still like the twist. Maybe I'll ask my girlfrient to draw a picture of this. :D
Sadly, Nine-Ringed Bo is so abysmally weak and/or spcialized, so are the other cards like Kumano's pupils)

Planeswalkers:
Koth of the Hammer
Jaya Ballard

X-Spells:
Red Sun's Zenith
Volcanic Geyser
Fireball
Jaya's Immolating Inferno
Burn from Within
Lava Burst
Rolling Thunder
Disintegrate
Comet Storm
Banefire
Blaze

(No Kaervek's Torch... it belongs to Kaervek and the same is true for Ghitu Fire. That's Joira's thing. Those cards are in decks with them. Devil's Play... it would be a good card to add, better than Blaze at least, but I didn't like the theme for this deck.)

Burn spells:
Lightning Bolt
Incinerate
Flame Javelin
Pulse of the Forge
Beacon of Destruction
Urza's Rage (This one bugs me a bit, because there is no Urza, but I might commission some work to my girlfriend about this as well)
Spitting Earth (With a quote from Kumano)
Fight with Fire

Global burn:
Flamebreak (looks to darn good in foil)
Magmaquake
Starstorm
Earthquake
Fault Line
Chain Reaction
Flame Wave
Price of Progress

(I did indeed cut Blasphemous Act, because I couldn't imagine Kumano doing something gruesome in a church. I also only have two copies that are in more serious decks. Originally, I had more big spells in this deck like Fire Tempest and Searing Blaze and they had tons of flavor, but ultimately proved to be very unflexible and slow)

Non-burn removal:
Chaos Warp
Lava Flow
Aftershock
Fissure
Scour from Existence (Yeah I know, but red needs to grab what it can in this category)
Meltdown
Vandalblast
Shattering Pulse

Creatures
Fire Servant
Obsidian Fireheart ("Please don't make my lands burn" - haha, get's me everytime)
Subterranean Spirit (I just like that art and that it survives global burn and it makes the players with saprolings and servos moan)
Ryusei, the Falling Star (Guardian of Sokenzan. I think of him as a friendly neighbur who introduces Kumano to some dragon friends)
Spawn of Thraxes
Tyrant's Familiar

(I might throw some more red dragons in... I like dragons.)

Last but not least:
Fork
Reverberate
Pyrohemia

Almost forgot the lands:
Shinka, the Bloodsoaked Keep (Neighburs, huh...)
39x Mountain

------------------------------------------

How does it play?
This should be a now brainer: You cast stuff and deal damage. Doubling stuff is fun.
In my meta, this deck mostly flies under the radar. Often the table is full of threats and everyone likes the red player for dealing with that stuff or balancing things out when throwing a copied Blaze for 10 at someone who is too dominant. It sounds crazy, but because of politics and so much going on on the table, people tend to forget this deck... until someone gets reminded why you shouldn't have a red player have Pyromancer's Goggles on the table for long.
One thing to mention: The old version had walls in it - the old ones with red elemental themes like Wall of Fire, Wall of Granite. Most of the time they did nothing. Well, walls beeing walls. The deck is currently light on creatures and I might change that, if I see that it is struggling in our meta because of this.

What about damage doublers?
I didn't include cards like Furnace of Rath because in a multiplayer round it's very dangerous to play cards that cost a quite a bit of mana and do nothing at first and could backlash very hard until it gets removed one turn bevor it's my turn again to make good use of it. That's why I also didn't include Gauntlet of Power and the like.

That's it. I'd love to hear some comments or suggestions. :)

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Kumano, Master Yamabushi
AgePosted: 2019-Feb-08 6:50 am 

Welcome back!

...this is like the third sweet decklist I've seen in the last week. I like some of the crunchy little tech plays this deck can pull off, like being able to Meltdown for 4 when your best artifacts are 5 or higher.

I will admit I like the idea of using Neheb as the general instead of Kumano though.

If you were looking for damage doublers, Gratuitous Violence is probably your first stop.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Kumano, Master Yamabushi
AgePosted: 2019-Feb-16 10:01 am 

Kemev wrote:
Welcome back!

...this is like the third sweet decklist I've seen in the last week. I like some of the crunchy little tech plays this deck can pull off, like being able to Meltdown for 4 when your best artifacts are 5 or higher.

I will admit I like the idea of using Neheb as the general instead of Kumano though.

If you were looking for damage doublers, Gratuitous Violence is probably your first stop.

Glad you like it :o And nice recommendation too.

We had two games yesterday and one of these this deck won. It may also be due to the fact, that the playgoup is a bit inexperienced and I couldn't do something against the copy cards as well. We all got blown off the table in one swoop... with good old Fireball

Offline Profile