Post subject: Phelddagrif idea
AgePosted: 2019-Feb-04 2:31 am 

I want to try an idea, I want to build a deck with these characteristics:

1. Fun to play
2. Be "perceived" as fair
3. High wincon %
4. No combos
5. Being able to 3v1 if needed

Lurking the forums and other sites I ended up reading a post about Phelddagrif and I love the idea overall that seems to match what I was looking for.

The idea behing the decklist is this

1. Provide very few targets for interaction with our gameplan: Every card we play in any EDH deck is ment to move us forward our objetive in the game plan, some cards while very valuable are less threatening (like a signet or any non really fast mana rock) but some cards are more threatening or makes too visible ( necroptence, rhystic study and a long etcetera)

All those cards have the downside of painting a target over us or over the cards, wich means we know that after we play something like necropotence, everyone will focus on us and/or the enchant (even if we dont run fast combos) so we need to be ready to protect our stuff, if we succeed then we are more the target and we may or may not be exhausted by the fight (probably not because of necro but imagine you are fighting to protect another wincon), and if we do not suceed they we have the bitter taste of don't being able to use the sweet card we put in the deck.

So by having very few permanentes in the board, and getting our wincon less interactive we have a best chance of not being interrupted.

2. Provide less threat for the table: The deck is built around the idea of being "perceived" as weak, I wont be having any permanents but lands (except for 3 artifacts that transforms into lands) and while one pf them can be perceived as a threat, I can cut it out if I see it agro so much.

3. Be able to protect youself: a 4/4 (with flying on demand and a bounce effect) is a deterrant for many attakers.

4. Diplomacy options: the ability to give another opponent an army of tokens to retaliate, or a huge chunk of life is important, if you are #1 at the table you will surely wont like the hipo giving the #2 a couple bodies and cards that will make him ahead of you wich can be a good tool to avoid attacks or make a player the bigger threat of the table.

5. Be able to retaliate: some people will cooperate with the weakest deck of the table because the of the benefits our friendship can give they but some people won't, so the deck is packed with toons of removal, counters and boardwipes, and because we can bounce our general and dont play any other permenents we can use the best boardwipes without problematic implicances (planar cleansing)

6. Be able to win 1v1: the endgame should be good for a control deck with a lot of removal and counters, if we did a good job conecting from time to time with the hipo, the final opponent will have some commander damage so it would take just a few turn to end the game.

In my mind I supouse nobody will feel bad about a game ending in a 4/4 beatdown, no combos, no extra turn, etc.

What do you think, is it possible?

Lands (41)

1x Azorius Chancery
1x Breeding Pool
1x Brushland
1x Command Tower
1x Forbidden Orchard
6x Forest
1x Glacial Fortress
1x Hallowed Fountain
9x Island
1xKrosan Verge
1x Lumbering Falls
1x Mystifying Maze
8x Plains
1x Reliquary Tower
1x Seaside Citadel
1x Selesnya Sanctuary
1x Simic Growth Chamber
1xSungrass Prairie
1xTemple of Mystery
1x Treva's Ruins
1x Yavimaya Coast

Card draw
1x Benefactor's Draught
1x Blue Sun's Zenith
1x Borrowing 100,000 Arrows
1xDeep Analysis
1x Dig Through Time
1x Fact or Fiction
1x Harmonize
1x Pulse of the Grid

No (16)
1x Arcane Denial
1x Condescend
1x Counterspell
1x Cryptic Command
1x Disallow
1x Dispel
1x Dissolve
1x Exclude
1x Negate
1x Overrule
1x Spell Burst
1x Squelch
1x Stifle
1x Summary Dismissal
1x Voidmage Husher
1x Voidslime

Mass removal (12)

1x AEtherize
1x Akroma's Vengeance
1x Day of Judgment
1x End Hostilities
1x Fated Retribution
1x Hour of Revelation
1x Planar Cleansing
1x Rout
1x Supreme Verdict
1x Terminus
1x Urza's Ruinous Blast
1x Wrath of God

Spot removal (14)

1x Beast Within
1x Blink of an Eye
1x Deep Freeze
1x Krosan Grip
1x Lignify
1x Narcolepsy
1x Path to Exile
1x Pongify
1xReturn to Dust
1x Swords to Plowshares
1x Sylvan Reclamation
1x Turn to Frog
1x Unexpectedly Absent
1x Wipe Away

Value (8)

1x Conqueror's Galleon
1x Fog
1x Hushwing Gryff
1x Moment's Peace
1x Mystic Speculation
1x Telepathy
1x Thaumatic Compass

Yennett, Cryptic Sovereign The current updated decklist is here
Phelddagrif The current updated decklist is here

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Phelddagrif idea
AgePosted: 2019-Feb-10 7:40 pm 

It's hard to play that sweet spot. Play a deck with too many threats and you're playing a 1v3 play a deck with basically no threats and you still play a 1v3 because you're easy pickings. Your idea is doable, but you might want to consider an alternative win path and theme. This was my thinking when I came up with my favorite deck list. What permanents tend to stay on the field the whole game? Lands. So why not make a deck where the win condition is just playing the best lands ever printed in magic's history every single turn. All the while wiping the board of nonland permanents whenever things got out of control. This leads to a game state where you look weak during the beginning, but the whole game you are building inevitability. While everyone's resources are diminishing as the game progresses, yours continues to grow, one land at a time. I used Derevi since you can wipe the board a million times and still "flash" him in for 4 for precombat tricks and chump blocking.

Retired:
Krenko, Mob Boss (Goblins)
Zedruu the Christmas Goat (group hug)
Ramses Overdark (Assassin Deck)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Feb-14 6:50 am 

Bruticus wrote:
It's hard to play that sweet spot. Play a deck with too many threats and you're playing a 1v3 play a deck with basically no threats and you still play a 1v3 because you're easy pickings. Your idea is doable, but you might want to consider an alternative win path and theme. This was my thinking when I came up with my favorite deck list. What permanents tend to stay on the field the whole game? Lands. So why not make a deck where the win condition is just playing the best lands ever printed in magic's history every single turn. All the while wiping the board of nonland permanents whenever things got out of control. This leads to a game state where you look weak during the beginning, but the whole game you are building inevitability. While everyone's resources are diminishing as the game progresses, yours continues to grow, one land at a time. I used Derevi since you can wipe the board a million times and still "flash" him in for 4 for precombat tricks and chump blocking.

I am still working on my list, but I would love to see your derevi decklist

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Feb-15 5:46 pm 

Here's the link to the list:
http://mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=18144&hilit=derevi

This list hasn't been updated in 2 years and there have been some stellar lands and ramp cards that have come out since then. However, it still gives you the general idea of how the deck looks. It's mostly answers and lands.

Retired:
Krenko, Mob Boss (Goblins)
Zedruu the Christmas Goat (group hug)
Ramses Overdark (Assassin Deck)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Apr-01 1:58 am 

I tried this deck "as is" and it worked very well

My firts turns were awfull because I wasnt able to cast my comander for lack of white mana, so I had an ampty bioard untill turn 10 so I was an easy prey and I had nothing to negotiate with, but because I had counters and removal I was able to keep it up.

I almost won the game, but we misred a card that affected me a lot, but it doesnt matter, I think this deck can acomplish the goal he was made for

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Apr-18 8:37 am 

Well, I have played my list (it is in my signature) a couple of times and this is my feedback:

1. The deck is really fun to play and it is not weak at all.

One of my games I was severely mana screw to the point of not casting my general up to turn 8-9, in that game one layer toke me to 1 life and I almost won the game (I was the last to die and if we didn't had misread a card I would won probably).

2. The decks is fun also because people cannot interact with your plan at all, you can win, you can loose but is high unlikely that anyone can 'mess with your plan'

3. The original player from wich I inspire my list said in his OP, 'play with light heart' and this is very easy to do with the hippo because... you have noting they can destroy, steal or shut down, we will normally win the counter-war or we will just remove the threats

4. The hippo is big enough to chump-block most things and because he can bounce and give some one a card, many opponents will not waste a precious attack on a 'do nothing' if if they do, we can block or spot removal.

5. Because we can give some presents to opponents, they will forget soon if we board-wipe or just did something wrong to them.

Overall, a great deck, the one I have most fun so far

Offline Profile