Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Jul-18 4:07 am

Post subject: "I Just Blue Myself" - Tobias Andrion Mono U Petitioners
AgePosted: 2019-Feb-24 8:20 am 

So, a little background. Originally I wanted to build with Ambassador Laquatus as the commander, with the goal of the deck to be a sort of mono-blue doomsday pile, specifically without Thrumming Stone. While I was at my LGS and soliciting some suggestions about weird cards to include to further my gameplan, one of the employees suggested I replace Ambassador Laquatus with Tobias Andrion, since Tobias is an advisor. I informed him I wanted to stay mono-blue, to which he replied I still could, just with an uncastable commander. Plus, they had a beautiful Legends copy for $2.

It was then I had an epiphany. Playing mono-blue Tobias allowed me to not only create a deck that sets out to do what I originally intended, but I get to name it after one of my favorite characters from Arrested Development AND use one of his best lines from the show in the process. Universe, you've done it a-gain. Without further ado, here is "You're a Bad, Bad Man" from Annie Get Your — I mean here's the decklist:

The Leading Man:
Tobias Andrion

The Act-tors (creatures) - 37
30 Persistent Petitioners
Tetsuko Umezawa
Rayne, Academy Chancellor
Laboratory Maniac
Drift of Phantasms
Azami, Lady of Scrolls
Sphinx of the Chimes

Artifacts - 10
Tormod's Crypt
Expedition Map
Sol Ring
Altar of Dementia
Semblance Anvil
Herald's Horn
Phyrexian Altar
Cryptic Gateway
Paradox Engine
Mirror of Fate

Enchantments - 6
Unnatural Selection
Arcane Adaptation
Faces of the Past
Thought Lash
Kindred Discovery
Xenograft

Instants - 8
Mystical Tutor
High Tide
Artificial Evolution
Stream of Consciousness
Arcane Denial
Standardize
Counterspell
Force of Will

Sorceries - 4
Merchant Scroll
Clear the Mind
Peer Pressure
Turnabout

Lands - 35
29 Island
Scavenging Grounds
Mutavault
Mikokoro, Center of the Sea
Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
Shelldock Isle
Geier Reach Sanitarium

Perhaps a win-con I shall seek:
Basically the move is either to mill out my opponents and exile their graveyards (plan B) or to mill myself through petitioner activations, thought lash or draw a butt ton of cards off of Azami modified with with artificial evolution or one of the conspiracy effects and then win with labman. The magical christmas land scenario is using standardize or unnatural selection with peer pressure to steal a ton of creatures and then kill people with their own critters.

Gath Immortal wrote:
Twenty Kavus and a Dream is not a legacy deck.

Last edited by kirkusjones on 2019-Feb-25 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: "I Just Blue Myself" - Tobias Andrion Mono U Petitioners
AgePosted: 2019-Feb-24 4:22 pm 

is Sphinx of the Chimes purposefully omitted?

Retired:
Krenko, Mob Boss (Goblins)
Zedruu the Christmas Goat (group hug)
Ramses Overdark (Assassin Deck)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Feb-24 8:44 pm 

Bruticus wrote:
is Sphinx of the Chimes purposefully omitted?

Nope. Just was unaware of its existence. I will be making room for it. Thanks!

Gath Immortal wrote:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Feb-25 6:06 am 

I'm assuming you're running Kozilek to avoid milling yourself to death... you could embrace the self mill instead and add Angel of Glory's Rise. (I realize it cuts against the mono-blue theme, but it's really, really good.)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Feb-25 9:07 am 

Intruder Alarm seems good with the Petitioners, but I can see not playing it since opponents can use as well.

Riku: Pump Spells
Teneb: Life Manipulation
Kiki-Jiki: Big Red
Geth: Nim
Kodama of the North Tree: Hard Mode Voltron
Nin: Elementals
Sram: Jankstorm
Zur: Zombies
Rhys the Redeemed: Aura Voltron
Chandra, Fire of Kaladesh: Chandras
Ojutai, Soul of Winter: Tap Out Control
Alesha: Allies
Inalla: Treasures
Vial Smasher: Lava Axes
Atraxa: Counterless Keywords
Ludevic and Tymna: Curses

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Feb-25 12:05 pm 

Faces of the Past functions as a pseudo intruder alarm with a sac outlet. It's janky, but then this deck is a janky pile.

Angel of Glory's Rise may very well be worth the splash...

After goldfishing last night, I definitely will be cutting Kozilek and the other "shuffle graveyard into library" effects for something more targeted, like Stream of Consciousness. Sadly Memory's Journey has that pesky green flashback cost.

Gath Immortal wrote:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Feb-25 9:16 pm 

kirkusjones wrote:
After goldfishing last night, I definitely will be cutting Kozilek and the other "shuffle graveyard into library" effects for something more targeted, like Stream of Consciousness. Sadly Memory's Journey has that pesky green flashback cost.

You might like to run Psychic Spiral.

Online Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Feb-25 10:35 pm 

spacemonaut wrote:
You might like to run Psychic Spiral.

It was in the original list, I ended up cutting it for Blue Sun's Zenith, at least for now. I won't get to playtest until next week, so we'll see what I end up actually needing.

Gath Immortal wrote:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Feb-27 5:14 pm 

You might consider: Soul Foundry, Distant Melody, Door of Destinies, and Cloud Key/Sapphire Medallion (they seem better than Semblance Anvil unless you're planning to imprint an artifact).

I doubt the Tetsuko beatdown plan is going to get there. You also have a lot of type-changing effects which do basically nothing without Azami, which will usually eat removal, or Peer Pressure, which is probably mediocre even when it works, outside magical Christmas land.

If you're planning to mill opponents, you probably need more ways to prevent them from shuffling their graveyards in or getting huge value with recursion. If you're all-in on the Laboratory Maniac plan, you need more ways to protect it.

If you're really happy with your jokey commander, that's fine, but there are other options, including 3 mono-blue legendary Advisors (though the cheapest is $19), and the powerful (but maybe too annoying) Grand Arbiter Augustin.

You don't want to lean too heavily on playing bad cards to keep your opponents from killing you. Sooner or later someone will gain an advantage and kill all their opponents, including you. And if your deck ever actually works, people who've seen it will take it seriously, and you'll be in a bad position creature combat-wise. (Trust me, I have a Vedalken tribal deck that my group takes quite seriously.) So you probably need more defensive cards like Inundate and Aetherspouts, and maybe some hard removal.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Feb-27 10:25 pm 

NMS, the deck is meant to be a janky pile. I wanted to build something I could take to basically any LGS and sit down with any pod and have a good time. The other decks I play regularly (which are not posted on the site) are Gitrog combo, Muldrotha, Mono-green Selvala and Angus Mackenzie. Those decks are tuned to be competitive, with Gitrog having nearly all the bells and whistles to go off consistently before turn four or five.

This deck was designed to be a fun collection of jank with an okay win-con. I'm not looking to take down pods with it, I'm happy with the occasional magical christmas land win. That said, Anvil is getting cut. Distant Melody will probably find a home in the deck and Soul Foundry may go in as well.

Gath Immortal wrote:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Feb-28 1:55 am 

You could use Trading Post as a banana stand.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Feb-28 9:01 am 

Shabbaman wrote:
You could use Trading Post as a banana stand.

There's always card advantage in the Banana Stand.

Gath Immortal wrote:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Mar-01 3:49 pm 

kirkusjones wrote:
NMS, the deck is meant to be a janky pile. I wanted to build something I could take to basically any LGS and sit down with any pod and have a good time. The other decks I play regularly (which are not posted on the site) are Gitrog combo, Muldrotha, Mono-green Selvala and Angus Mackenzie. Those decks are tuned to be competitive, with Gitrog having nearly all the bells and whistles to go off consistently before turn four or five.

This deck was designed to be a fun collection of jank with an okay win-con. I'm not looking to take down pods with it, I'm happy with the occasional magical christmas land win. That said, Anvil is getting cut. Distant Melody will probably find a home in the deck and Soul Foundry may go in as well.

I get that. I tend to build the best decks I can within whatever deckbuilding, strategy, and budget constraints I set for myself, so most of my decks are on the strong end of casual and my Azami, is competitive-ish. That's why I've been building more decks with restrictions: Nin, Vedalken tribal (combo-control, but no tutors); Lady Orca peasant (voltron-control); and I'm working on Tatyova pauper (ramp/stompy/combo).

I just suspect you've swung a little too far away from the competitive direction. I don't think it adds much to anyone's enjoyment when one player can't really impact the game.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Apr-09 4:15 pm 

Just popped in to say I love the title of your thread.

You could make it into a cool t-shirt slogan and inside joke if you changed it to "I just U myself".

You're welcome
;)

Mayael the Anima

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Apr-09 8:06 pm 

Bless this mess.

There's a guy in my playgroup currently running Jace, Vryn's Prodigy as his Petitioner commander. The leading man here is pretty good meme, but there isn't exactly a problem with an active commander with this archetype.

I know people usually like to say "30" for this kind of deck, but I often find that much of something actually obfuscates the focus, and quality of life of many decks.

If you're feeling clever- I'm super fond of Noble Benefactor for decks like these. It's a bit tough to use (think of Oath of Druids and Ill-Gotten Gains;) but is often more than potent if you are just reaching for super-gas, instead of something as obvious as Omniscience.

Defender
Wall of chat exceeds at using a lot of words to mischaracterize opposing view points.

Warp Riders (Ephara Solar Flare)

Offline Profile