Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Sep-19 12:34 am

Post subject: Boros Spellslinger (Feather, the Redeemed)
AgePosted: 2019-Apr-08 3:08 pm 

Commander - (1)
1 Feather, the Redeemed

Creatures - (12)
1 Skirk Prospector
1 Firebrand Archer
1 Young Pyromancer
1 Glint-Horn Buccaneer
1 Guttersnipe
1 Mentor of the Meek
1 Monastery Mentor
1 Tethmos High Priest
1 Balefire Liege
1 Chartooth Cougar
1 Firesong and Sunspeaker
1 Eternal Dragon

Instants - (25)
1 Balduvian Rage
1 Burst of Energy
1 Crimson Wisps
1 Defiant Strike
1 Enlightened Tutor
1 Expedite
1 Glimpse the Sun God
1 Niveous Wisps
1 Path to Exile
1 Scout's Warning
1 Stand Firm
1 Tithe
1 Veteran's Reflexes
1 Accelerate
1 Boros Charm
1 Ignorant Bliss
1 Magma Jet
1 Psychotic Fury
1 Chaos Warp
1 Generous Gift
1 Intimidation Bolt
1 Oblation
1 Repel the Darkness
1 Soul's Fire
1 Fateful Showdown

Sorceries - (15)
1 Renegade Tactics
1 Rile
1 Gift of Estates
1 Winds of Abandon
1 Molten Psyche
1 Shattered Perception
1 Shoulder to Shoulder
1 Shreds of Sanity
1 Inner Fire
1 Past in Flames
1 Throes of Chaos
1 Chandra's Ignition
1 Fell the Mighty
1 Mana Geyser
1 Reforge the Soul

Artifacts - (10)
1 Elixir of Immortality
1 Expedition Map
1 Skullclamp
1 Sol Ring
1 Boros Signet
1 Chandra's Regulator
1 Livewire Lash
1 Thought Vessel
1 Chromatic Lantern
1 Scaretiller

Enchantments - (3)
1 Land Tax
1 Tectonic Reformation
1 Smothering Tithe

Planeswalkers - (2)
1 Tibalt, Rakish Instigator
1 Jaya Ballard

Lands - (32)
10 Mountain
10 Plains
1 Command Tower
1 Homeward Path
1 Reliquary Tower
1 Ruins of Trokair
1 Sacred Foundry
1 Clifftop Retreat
1 Boros Garrison
1 Rugged Prairie
1 Smoldering Crater
1 Drifting Meadow
1 Forgotten Cave
1 Secluded Steppe

Strategy is to spell sling with Feather, the Redeemed dishing out as much noncombat damage as possible. Ideally you want to have Livewire Lash equipped onto Feather, the Redeemed to get more value out of casting instants and sorcery's as she bounces them back to your hand during your 2nd main phase before the next end step. Either that or spam creature tokens to draw off of Skullclamp.

Any comments, suggestions, and/or advice is greatly appreciated.

"Stax is the hero we need but don't deserve. Too many people just play dumb stuff and often games devolve into "who does their dumb stuff first". People essentially just goldfishing. Great social format you got here Sheldon." - illakunsaa

Last edited by Card Slinger J on 2019-Sep-13 3:53 pm, edited 37 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Boros Spellslinger Voltron (Feather, the Redeemed)
AgePosted: 2019-Apr-08 4:06 pm 

Note that any spells you cast that target Feather (or any other creature you control) go to exile, and then to your hand and are never in the graveyard. Runechanter's Pike may not be as good as you hope.

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

The internet's great at making noise, and poor at operating pants. There's gonna be half-dressed mobs screeching half-assed arguments for the rest of the 21st century - Kemev

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Apr-08 4:38 pm 

Good point. Scroll of the Masters seems like a much better fit over Runechanter's Pike to help take advantage of casting cantrip spells with Feather, the Redeemed.

"Stax is the hero we need but don't deserve. Too many people just play dumb stuff and often games devolve into "who does their dumb stuff first". People essentially just goldfishing. Great social format you got here Sheldon." - illakunsaa

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Apr-18 7:55 am 

Since Feather lets you reclaim cards you played for their Aftermath or Flashback costs, I'd go nuts with them. Seize the Day is pretty great, but there's also Reckless Charge, Onward // Victory, and Insult // Injury. Maybe Spirit Flare too.

Balefire Liege might be a fun add.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Apr-20 2:31 pm 

Problem with Aftermath is that the spells have to be in the graveyard in order to cast them and since Feather, the Redeemed bounces spells back to hand instead of the graveyard as they resolve that leaves the player only being able to cast the half that doesn't require the Aftermath cost. Flashback on the other hand still works which is actually much more useful against mill decks.

Maybe I need to focus more on "Wheel" effects rather than Aftermath. Cards like Fateful Showdown, Heartwarming Redemption, Collective Defiance, and Molten Psyche all seem to work really well with Feather, the Redeemed. Inner Fire could also work as extra mana accel aside from Mana Geyser where as Orim's Thunder with Kicker is also solid for extra spot removal.

Already plan on adding Balefire Liege to the deck, unfortunately nobody in my area carries it so I'll most likely just order one online. Zada, Hedron Grinder and Mirrorwing Dragon seem like really good includes though I'm not particularly sold on them just yet. This just might be the EDH / Commander deck that makes Storm viable outside of Izzet.

Last edited by Card Slinger J on 2019-Apr-21 3:53 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Apr-20 3:01 pm 

There are other burn spells out there that can point one damage at Feather and the rest at things you want dead. Conflagrate, Jaws of Stone, Meteor Shower, Rolling Thunder, and more.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Apr-20 3:10 pm 

Aurelia's Fury just so happens to be one of those cards though I have also considered Impact Resonance.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Apr-23 11:22 am 

Card Slinger J wrote:
Aurelia's Fury just so happens to be one of those cards

I know. That's why I said there are "other" spells that can be used that way. Redundancy is nice.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Apr-23 11:54 pm 

Card Slinger J wrote:
Problem with Aftermath is that the spells have to be in the graveyard in order to cast them and since Feather, the Redeemed bounces spells back to hand instead of the graveyard as they resolve that leaves the player only being able to cast the half that doesn't require the Aftermath cost. Flashback on the other hand still works which is actually much more useful against mill decks.

Onward // Victory and Insult // Injury both still work well though:

Onward is an Instant and can target any creature. Naturally you can just keep casting it on your own creatures getting it back at EOT. However once you want access to Victory, do this: cast Onward targeting an opponent's creature while they're attacking one of your mutual opponents, which might be very helpful for you. After doing this the spell will hit your graveyard. On your turn you can grant a creature you control double strike and get the card back into your hand at EOT.

Insult will always go to your graveyard since it doesn't target. Cast Injury targeting one of your own creatures and an opponent to get Insult back in your hand.

Alternately, discard either of them to Tormenting Voice and other rummaging effects or wheels.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-17 5:37 pm 

Kind of been toying around with Guttersnipe and Electrostatic Field / Firebrand Archer over Taurean Mauler and Sunscorch Regent though I seem to like the latter more due to their synergy with cards like Soul's Fire and Soul's Grace which I can easily get back with Feather, the Redeemed.

So I figured why not feed off of my opponents' spells to target my own spells on instead of not getting enough mileage on damage triggers from only a handful of spells that targets a creature I control? I haven't been able to test it out yet though I feel like I'm focusing too much on consistency and not enough on random cantrip spells to gain more value.

Offline Profile