Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Jun-16 6:34 pm

Post subject: Avacyn, Angel of Rebuilds - a deckbuilding walkthrough
AgePosted: 2019-May-30 8:34 am 

So this is a bit of a different decklist -- it's how I think through decks when I'm building. The idea is to think about the goals, group, and archetype of the deck, and then walk through what kinds of cards it needs for its gameplan.

The goal for this particular list is to build an Avacyn deck that works with a moderately casual, "big sorcery" group. I'm not trying to interact with fast combo decks, and I'm assuming the group's ok with some degree of resource disruption. The goal is to play tap-out control until Avacyn can drop on turn one-thousandty along with a board wipe or two to close the game. I'm gonna play a bunch of angels along the way, but it's kinda loose to call it angel tribal (angels don't actually have all that many cards that interact with other angels).

General: Avacyn, Angel of Hope

Boardwipes: This is the deck's bread and butter. Catastrophe's the best finisher, since late game it can wipe everyone's lands to cement the win. I'm also looking for board wipes with addtional upsides to give me a little extra advantage. The extra mana is real, but I'm playing a ton of extra mana generation anyway so it's not a big deal.

Akroma's Vengeance
Austere Command
Catastrophe
Cleansing Nova
Elspeth, Sun's Champion
Fated Retribution
Fumigate
Hour of Revelation
Phyrexian Rebirth
Martial Coup
Rout
Sunblast Angel
Angel of the Dire Hour
Divine Reckoning

Mana: It's really tempting when you have an expensive general to jam all the fast mana rocks, but I think this is a trap. The fast mana rocks are ideal if you're planning on winning early, and that's not Avacyn's gameplan. Since cards like Vandalblast, Bane of Progress, and Aura Shards are all hugely popular, that artifact mana's gonna be a liability in the long game. Instead, I'd rather lean on white's land searching cards early, and then use the bigger Gauntlet of Power -style mana rocks later. (Sun Titan and Crucible of Worlds help with that late game mana too.) The white mana searchers do double duty, since a lot of them can attack or block early on.

Sol Ring
Boreas Charger
Gift of Estates
Knight of the White Orchid
Kor Cartographer
Land Tax
Oreskos Explorer
Tithe
Weathered Wayfarer
Wayfinder's Bauble
Armillary Sphere
Expedition Map
Crucible of Worlds
Sun Titan
Thaumatic Compass
Gauntlet of Power
Caged Sun
Immortal Sun
Smothering Tithe
Solemn Simulacrum
Surveyor's Scope

Midrange: This list has decent early blockers and tons of board wipes, so it should crush most aggressive creature decks. But it could struggle against a midrange build, like something with tons of hasty beaters, or a G/B/x recursion engine. So this list needs some mid-game play; that's where the angels come in. They're reasonably beefy and a few of them have annoying static abilities. Supplement them with a small enchantment package. The goal here's to be provide a speedbump… if you wanted to play rough, there's other stax-ier cards to slot in like Rest in Peace or Stony Silence. These kinds of cards paint a bigger target on you, and I think if you wanted to play Angel Stax you could, but you're probably looking at a fast build with Linvala, Keeper of Silence as your general.

Angel of Finality
Angel of Jubilation
Archangel of Tithes
Baneslayer Angel
Linvala, Keeper of Silence
Lyra, Dawnbringer
Angel of Sanctions
Authority of the Consuls
Suppression Field
Enlightened Tutor
Idyllic Tutor
Oblivion Ring
Marshal's Anthem
Honor the Fallen
Tormod's Crypt

Free Mana?: This is the transition from midgame to late game. Hopefully your board wipes and midrange cards can exhaust some of your opponents' resources, and you can start to pass your turn without having to tap out every time. In the meantime, having a handful of instants and mana sinks prevents that mana from getting wasted. If you can make it through a couple turn cycles without having to play a spell, and can invest into enhancing your position with your activated abilities instead, it may be time to close the game.

Inheritance
Mind's Eye
Dawn of Hope
Oketra the True
Heliod, God of the Sun
Brave the Elements
Rebuff the Wicked
Swords to Plowshares
Path to Exile
Valorous Stance

End Game: If you're ready to go for the kill, it's time to play Avacyn (hopefully with enough mana for a board wipe and/or instant protection). There are only a couple other cards here; True Conviction and Mirror Entity can both shave a turn off the general damage win and make it easier to win with the team beatdown.

Mirror Entity
True Conviction

Lands: The lands are picked to supplement the other sections of the deck. They add some extra removal, protection, and card advantage.

Scavenger Grounds
Desert of the True
Strip Mine
Tectonic Edge
Kor Haven
Ancient Tomb
Arch of Orazca
Blast Zone
Emeria, the Sky Ruin
Myriad Landscape
+ 27 plains

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Avacyn, Angel of Rebuilds - a deckbuilding walkthrough
AgePosted: 2019-May-30 11:35 pm 

Gotta say, I like this idea. I built an Avacyn wrath.dec back in the day and it was similar to this build. It would be awesome if next time someone posts a controversial decklist that this type of treatment is given as well. Almost makes me want to put this together, but I just moved and have yet to find a place to play EDH (mostly because still busy unpacking etc.)

With perfect mana, reasonable removal, disruption, and card advantage, we're back to pitchforks and torches. And it's about to get worse for those who do not enjoy the game as Richard Garfield intended, playing as few win conditions as possible and prompting concession after all hopes (and spells) are lost. - Shaheen Soorani

Offline Profile