Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Sep-18 6:02 pm

Post subject: Vilis the Embezzler (Mono-Black Suicide)
AgePosted: 2019-Jun-24 11:20 am 

Updated list! I've gotten in a few games with this current iteration and it can be quite swingy. It's a blast to play and it's always fun to see the look on opponent's faces when you're hovering in the low teens and suddenly start smashing face. I would strongly recommend building a Vilis pile if you're looking for something a little different than the normal big black mana deck (though I do run a lot of those cards). Force of Despair might be on the chopping block, though it is a great gotcha for token decks.

The card, for reference:

Creatures - 21
Tavern Swindler
Burnished Hart
Razaketh, the Foulblooded
Solemn Simulacrum
Twilight Prophet
Erebos, God of the Dead
Crypt Ghast
Corpse Augur
Phyrexian Delver
Gray Merchant of Asphodel
Dire Fleet Ravager
Magus of the Coffers
Bloodgift Demon
Doom Whisperer
Street Wraith
Psychosis Crawler
Chainer, Dementia Master
Nirkhana Revenant
Kothoped, Soul Hoarder
Platinum Angel
Rune-Scarred Demon

Enchantments - 8
Font of Agonies
Arguel's Blood Fast
Heartless Summoning
Phyrexian Reclamation
Phyrexian Etchings
Unspeakable Symbol
Pestilence
Greed
No Mercy
Lich's Mastery

Artifacts - 13
Mana Crypt
Sol Ring
Nihil Spellbomb
Lightning Greaves
Thought Vessel
Mirage Mirror
Charcoal Diamond
Worn Powerstone
Thran Dynamo
Gilded Lotus
Swiftfoot Boots
Cryptolith Fragment
Mana Vault

Sorceries - 12
Reanimate
Scheming Symmetry
Exsanguinate
Damnable Pact
Demonic Tutor
Ashes to Ashes
Mutiliate
Toxic Deluge
Damnation
Cruel Bargain
Infernal Contract
Promise of Power

Instants - 8
Vampiric Tutor
Dark Ritual
Force of Despair
Stunning Reversal
Cabal Ritual
Snuff Out
Necrologia
Hatred
Moonlight Bargain

Lands - 36
Cabal Coffers
Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
Cabal Stronghold
Lake of the Dead
Miren, the Moaning Well
Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
Ifnir Deadlands
Hall of the Bandit Lord
Boseiju, Who Shelters All
Polluted Delta
Verdant Catacombs
Bloodstained Mire
Marsh Flats
Prismatic Vista
Glacial Chasm
Ancient Tomb
Temple of the False God
Thespian's Stage
Reliquary Tower
Bojuka Bog
19 Swamp

Gath Immortal wrote:
Twenty Kavus and a Dream is not a legacy deck.

Last edited by kirkusjones on 2019-Aug-03 2:05 am, edited 5 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Vilis the Embezzler (Mono-Black Suicide)
AgePosted: 2019-Jun-24 11:29 am 

In my personal opinion, Maralen of the Mornsong is not a very good card. You give everyone else at the table the chance to tutor for something before you get any mileage out of her ability at all. And guess what someone always ends up tutoring for? Removal for Maralen.

Also just be careful casting Doomsday while your commander is out, because under most circumstances that will cause you to instantly draw yourself out and lose.

Other than that the deck looks pretty good.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-24 12:30 pm 

Cows5467 wrote:
In my personal opinion, Maralen of the Mornsong is not a very good card. You give everyone else at the table the chance to tutor for something before you get any mileage out of her ability at all. And guess what someone always ends up tutoring for? Removal for Maralen.

Yeah, I am anti-Marelen... never seen her do anything good for its owner.

What's the endgame with Doomsday here? (cards images aren't loading for me and I'm having trouble figuring it out)

Edit: Also, I'm having a little trouble gauging the power level you're going for here. It seems like you're running some janky-ier cute cards like Tavern Swindler and Trading Post instead of more powerhouse cards like Necropotence or Ad Nauseum... I'm assuming that's intentional?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-24 2:25 pm 

I've been on the fence about Maralen, she should probably just be another removal spell. I purposefully left necropotence and ad nauseum out, for power level reasons. Ad nauseum also would have killed me a lot given my high curve. I wanted the deck to be a janky, mid-tier build that I could lead off with in an unfamiliar pod. Something funky that occasionally wins. Trading Post is mostly there to gain some life and Tavern Swindler is just such a unique and on-theme card, I couldn't pass it up.

EDIT - Maralen should be Hatred. Can't believe I forgot.

Double Edit - the Doomsday pile involved Top, Reservoir and Citadel, which I just realized will definitely make me lose the game. So, Deathcloud and Stunning Reversal will probably be the move, besides combat damage.

Gath Immortal wrote:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-25 11:45 am 

kirkusjones wrote:
I wanted the deck to be a janky, mid-tier build that I could lead off with in an unfamiliar pod. Something funky that occasionally wins.

Ok, that's kinda what I figured. BTW, I think Vilis is pretty cool, and there's lots of stuff to play with.

I like the fast mana rocks here... the deck's built around the general, so it makes sense to get Vilis out as quick as possible, and Vilis's card draw offsets the risk of artifact sweepers. I'd throw in a Mana Vault if you have one, and I'd probably run. Cryptolith Fragment, Charcoal Diamond, Gilded Lotus, Thran Dynamo, Worn Powerstone, and the doodad that makes black spells cost 1 less. It probably makes sense to run Crucible of Worlds too, to keep reusing your fetch lands.

Conversely, I don't like some of the staple draw/selection cards. Stuff like Phyrexian Arena, Sensei's Top, or Bloodgift Demon are all usually fine, but they're pretty underwhelming if you're suddenly drawing 3-5 cards a turn. I'd rather have the mana rocks and get Vilis to work faster.

Similarly, I'm not sure the Sign in Blood/Ancient Craving style cards pack enough oomph. They're not bad, but I think the deck could get more mileage with something like Moonlight Bargain and Plunge of Darkness. You could also run full crazy with Cruel Bargain/Infernal Contract. A couple other pay-life cards worth thinking on are Arguel's Bloodfast and Font of Agonies. Again, if you want to play like a crazy person, you could throw in some combination of Carnival of Souls, Liability, Murderous Betrayal or Unspeakable Symbol.

There's a couple fun hidden gems you could work in too: Imp's Mischief, Withering Boon. I also think Plague of Vermin and Pain's Reward are neat cards, but I've never seen a deck that'd be a good home for them.

This is probably a good list for the Kamigawa lands like Boseiju, Who Shelters All, Hall of the Bandit Lord, and Miren, the Moaning Well. I realize they make Cabal Coffers and friends worse, but you could just run Urborg like everyone else.

The ultimate jank would be to run mono-black energy. Gonti's Machinations, Demon of Dark Schemes, and Aetherworks Marvelcould all be fun.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-03 6:22 pm 

Kemev wrote:
(cards images aren't loading for me and I'm having trouble figuring it out)

Looks like the card tags have multiple card names inside them. There has to be a separate [c] or [card] tag around each card name.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-03 11:14 pm 

NMS wrote:
Kemev wrote:
(cards images aren't loading for me and I'm having trouble figuring it out)

Looks like the card tags have multiple card names inside them. There has to be a separate [c] or [card] tag around each card name.

That's exactly the issue. I just haven't had time to sit down and fix it. But I will.

Gath Immortal wrote:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Aug-03 1:50 am 

Updated the deck and fixed the card tags. I think I am currently one card short and will be adding K'rrik, Son of Yawgmoth once the C19 release happens. Also looking to find room for Expedition Map (maybe swapping it for Burnished Hart) and possibly Phyrexian Obliterator.

Gath Immortal wrote:

Offline Profile