Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Sep-17 8:31 am

Post subject: WUG - Treva's Wake
AgePosted: 2019-Jul-11 12:02 pm 

Hi there!
I created this deck on MWS because i wanted to experience a good and original three-color EDH deck.
The plan of this deck is to make control and use Mirari's Wake to generate big mana and more effective creatures. Decree of Justice after wake is certainly a bomb.
Here is the decklist, I need help because I can't win so much and I don't know why. :(
// Lands
1 Seat of the Synod
1 Flooded Strand
1 Windswept Heath
1 Polluted Delta
1 Wooded Foothills
1 Minamo, School at Water's Edge
1 Tree of Tales
1 Ancient Den
1 Flagstones of Trokair
1 Bad River
1 Flood Plain
1 Tolarian Academy
1 Tolaria West
1 Grasslands
3 Forest
2 Plains
1 Savannah
1 Tropical Island
1 Tundra
1 Mosswort Bridge
1 Mountain Valley
1 Horizon Canopy
1 Gaea's Cradle
1 Temple Garden
5 Island (1)
1 Karakas
1 Hallowed Fountain
1 Breeding Pool
1 Adarkar Wastes
1 Yavimaya Coast

// PlanesWalkers
1 Garruk Wildspeaker

// Creatures
1 Sower of Temptation
1 Akroma, Angel of Wrath
1 Solemn Simulacrum
1 Garruk Wildspeaker
1 Exalted Angel
1 Twilight Shepherd
1 Eternal Witness
1 Hanna, Ship's Navigator
1 Captain Sisay
1 Treva, the Renewer <GENERAL>
1 Indrik Stomphowler
1 Trygon Predator
1 Mulldrifter
1 Simic Sky Swallower
1 Venser, Shaper Savant
1 Brine Elemental
1 Vesuvan Shapeshifter
1 Willbender
1 Coiling Oracle
1 Selesnya Guildmage
1 Mystic Snake
1 Draining Whelk
1 Eternal Dragon
1 Sakashima the Impostor
1 Deep-Sea Kraken
1 Thicket Elemental

// Spells
1 Intuition
1 Seal of Primordium
1 Cryptic Command
1 Time Stretch
1 Time Spiral
1 Control Magic
1 Wrath of God
1 Swords to Plowshares
1 Treva's Charm
1 Naturalize
1 Azorius Signet
1 Simic Signet
1 Selesnya Signet
1 Mirari's Wake
1 Mirari
1 Voidslime
1 Kodama's Reach
1 Hunting Pack
1 Mind's Eye
1 Decree of Justice
1 Desertion
1 Bribery
1 Absorb
1 Gilded Lotus
1 Mana Drain
1 Idyllic Tutor
1 Enlightened Tutor
1 Mystical Tutor
1 Restock
1 Harmonize
1 Gifts Ungiven
1 Sol Ring
1 Coalition Relic
1 Rude Awakening
1 Far Wanderings
1 Brainstorm
1 Rout

I put in the deck the pickles combo, but I don't want slaver recursion and Life From The Loam because I consider it unfun and frustrating. o.O

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: WUG - Treva's Wake
AgePosted: 2019-Jul-11 1:19 pm 

First thing before I mention the decklist: bookmark this site and post the decklist there. Having your cards tagged is invaluable if you want decklist help. For individual cards you can highlight them and click the "card" button at the top of the posting area.

To make things easier for me and everyone else, I'm putting a tagged version of the deck in a spoiler:

// Lands
1 Seat of the Synod
1 Flooded Strand
1 Windswept Heath
1 Polluted Delta
1 Wooded Foothills
1 Minamo, School at Water's Edge
1 Tree of Tales
1 Ancient Den
1 Flagstones of Trokair
1 Bad River
1 Flood Plain
1 Tolarian Academy
1 Tolaria West
1 Grasslands
3 Forest
2 Plains
1 Savannah
1 Tropical Island
1 Tundra
1 Mosswort Bridge
1 Mountain Valley
1 Horizon Canopy
1 Gaea's Cradle
1 Temple Garden
5 Island (1)
1 Karakas
1 Hallowed Fountain
1 Breeding Pool
1 Adarkar Wastes
1 Yavimaya Coast

// PlanesWalkers
1 Garruk Wildspeaker

// Creatures
1 Sower of Temptation
1 Akroma, Angel of Wrath
1 Solemn Simulacrum
1 Garruk Wildspeaker
1 Exalted Angel
1 Twilight Shepherd
1 Eternal Witness
1 Hanna, Ship's Navigator
1 Captain Sisay
1 Treva, the Renewer <GENERAL>
1 Indrik Stomphowler
1 Trygon Predator
1 Mulldrifter
1 Simic Sky Swallower
1 Venser, Shaper Savant
1 Brine Elemental
1 Vesuvan Shapeshifter
1 Willbender
1 Coiling Oracle
1 Selesnya Guildmage
1 Mystic Snake
1 Draining Whelk
1 Eternal Dragon
1 Sakashima the Impostor
1 Deep-Sea Kraken
1 Thicket Elemental

// Spells
1 Intuition
1 Seal of Primordium
1 Cryptic Command
1 Time Stretch
1 Time Spiral
1 Control Magic
1 Wrath of God
1 Swords to Plowshares
1 Treva's Charm
1 Naturalize
1 Azorius Signet
1 Simic Signet
1 Selesnya Signet
1 Mirari's Wake
1 Mirari
1 Voidslime
1 Kodama's Reach
1 Hunting Pack
1 Mind's Eye
1 Decree of Justice
1 Desertion
1 Bribery
1 Absorb
1 Gilded Lotus
1 Mana Drain
1 Idyllic Tutor
1 Enlightened Tutor
1 Mystical Tutor
1 Restock
1 Harmonize
1 Gifts Ungiven
1 Sol Ring
1 Coalition Relic
1 Rude Awakening
1 Far Wanderings
1 Brainstorm
1 Rout

Second thing: Gifts Ungiven, Tolarian Academy, and Karakas are banned. If your playgroup is ok with you using them, all the more power to you, but they are officially banned. You also have Garruk Wildspeaker listed twice.

And final thing before I talk about the decklist itself, why doesn't it win? What types of decks do you face? Are there any specific things you feel the deck isn't good at? Because looking at the list, it looks pretty solid. The thing to remember: if you're playing in a multiplayer group with a balanced deck, you should be winning one game out of every X, where X is the number of players. If you play with 4 friends and have a 20% win rate, that's exactly what you're looking for.

The more I look at the decklist, two possible conclusions come to mind. The first is that Treva shouldn't be the general, and the second is that the deck should be modified to better reflect the fact that Treva is the general. As is the deck looks like a Roon list with Treva just shoved in. If you wanna play the big mana game, I think Jenara would be more effective and consistent. If you're set on Treva, I'd suggest running some way to take advantage of her life gain. Either a lot of cards which require life payment (I admittedly don't know of any in Bant) or things that synergize with life gain specifically. You can also run the various dragon-friendly cards like Ojutai, Soul of the Winter or Dragon's Hoard. And finally, there's random cards that just happen to work well with Treva such as True Conviction or the newly unbanned Painter's Servant.

After that onto some cuts/replacements I'd recommend:

Mana Base as a whole: The artifact lands and slow fetches don't belong IMO. The former don't add anything except being a random target for Vandalblast/Creeping Corrosion/Reclamation Sage, while the latter are too slow and don't have any particularly cool synergy going on to make them worth the slot. The replacements for them are all pretty simple: lands that require life payments. You've already got 2/3 of the painland cycle, so Brushland fits right in. You've also got Mana Confluence, City of Brass, Tarnished Citadel, and Cephalid Coliseum. Since you're also running the original duals and shocks, the buddylands would also be a good fit.

Akroma, Angel of Wrath, Exalted Angel, Simic Sky Swallower, Deep-Sea Kraken: These four are just big dumb pieces of fat. They're perfectly servicable win conditions, but they don't really fit the deck's theme and the fact that your general is a 6/6 dragon kind of undermines their usefulness. What do you replace them with? Hydras! Big fat hydras that eat up all of your mana and appear on the battlefield to scare your opponent. Also enormous creatures with repeated activated abilities like Ant Queen or Deathless Angel.

Mirari: I don't know that you have enough instants and sorceries to make it worth it, and especially not enough that you want to get copied. But if you did want all that, I'd still suggest Primal Amulet instead. In fact, look at all of the Ixalan double sided cards. A lot of those babies can benefit from producing extra mana and getting constantly untapped.

All of the mana rocks: With the arguable exception of Sol Ring, I'd say all of these would be better as land search cards. Rampant Growth, Farseek, Nature's Lore, Cultivate, Explosive Vegetation, Explore, Growth Spiral, and Urban Evolution are all fantastic. You want Mirari's Wake to carry you; it won't do so on artifacts. Only lands.

Offline Profile