Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-22 5:16 am

Post subject: Need advice about protecting K'rrik, Son of Yawgmoth
AgePosted: 2019-Aug-17 3:10 am 

Hi, I am working on a K'rrik, Son of Yawgmoth deck, I love the mana cheating capabilities that this guy has, so I am thinking in a mono black with goodstuff

Some of the wincons would be

Aetherflux reservoir + casting a lot of stuff gaining more life than I loose and shooting my oponents to death, can also be used with bola's citadel

I always wanted to play phage the untouchable and this seems to be the perfect deck for her, I can imagine hard casting her early and equipping some boots for an early kill

Other wincons could be some deamon fatties like Razaketh, the Foulblooded and other value fatties or why not Army of the Damned, 13 zombies for 5 mana is a cool thing

Overall I have in my mind a good % of the deck, I am missing ideas about how to protect my plays against counter/removal

I will be spending a lot of life advancing my game plan and while I will also have some life gain to support my strategy , I may be in a weak position if some pieces are counter/removed after spending half my life, so because the only hardcounter in mono black that I know (withering boon) is not what I really want, I need some ways to disrupt my opponents hands in order to remove the counters and removal from their hands, So I will be running Duress and Hymn to Tourach kind of cards.

But I was thinking adding some more hand disruption but for all my opponents, I am looking for asymmetrical effects.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Yennett, Cryptic Sovereign The current updated decklist is here
K'rrik, son of yawgmoth The current updated decklist is here

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Need advice about protecting K'rrik, Son of Yawgmoth
AgePosted: 2019-Aug-20 1:47 pm 

alexev wrote:
I am missing ideas about how to protect my plays against counter/removal

Bad news... this is not an area black is good in. There are a couple fringe creature protection options, like Imp's Mischief, or cards like Boon of Erebos or Rush of Vitality.

alexev wrote:
But I was thinking adding some more hand disruption but for all my opponents, I am looking for asymmetrical effects.

Most of the options are very mana intensive... the deck might be better off trying to exploit a symmetrical effect like Mindslicer.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Aug-20 11:37 pm 

Yes, you are right Imp's Mischief seems like a pretty solid inclusion, I didnt knew the card untill few days ago.

I was thinking running oppresion and necrogen mists but I dont know if I really want to go that way, maybe I will build the deck with cards like Rush of Vitality as you have suggested, some cheap reanimation such as animate dead and the only 2 viable counterspells in black, the mischief one andwarping wail

Yennett, Cryptic Sovereign The current updated decklist is here
K'rrik, son of yawgmoth The current updated decklist is here

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Aug-23 4:09 am 

Not of this World will work once you've cast some black spells to pump up K'rrik. It even fits thematically! Muck Drubb is another way to defend against targeted removal.

I think Darkness could be a worthwhile inclusion. Nobody expects Fog out of monoblack, and this could save you from a player who can't remove your commander so they just decide to alpha and kill you instead.

Honestly you might do better just to run cards that proactively protect your commander, like Lightning Greaves, Darksteel Plate, or Champion's Helm.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Aug-27 9:38 am 

The other other option is to just make so much mana that it doesn't matter if they kill him or not, because you can just re-cast him. Honestly, the deck's probably built around casting stupid numbers of cards per turn, so it probably wants the mana anyway.

Offline Profile