Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Sep-19 1:12 am

Post subject: Re: Mayael the 5-Power Stompy
AgePosted: 2011-Jan-01 9:36 pm 

I'm partial to having this be separate from the massive thread if only so I can find my decklist easily and get comments specific to only my decklist. :) With that said, I've just made a massive update to the deck thanks to some Christmas cash and I think I'm almost "done" with optimizing it.

2011 New Years Update
~ Akroma, Angel of Fury -> Baneslayer Angel
~ Borderland Ranger -> Wood Elves
~ Blitz Helion -> Garruk's Packleader
~ Flameblast Dragon -> Blazing Archon

~ Chain Reaction -> Akroma's Vengeance
~ Lava Burst -> Rampaging Baloths
~ Pure // Simple -> Desert Twister
~ Sylvan Scrying -> Condemn
~ Ancient Grudge -> Swords to Plowshares

~ Where Ancients Tread -> Unquestioned Authority
~ Wild Pair -> Lurking Predators
~ Trailblazer's Boots -> Greater Good

~ Snow-Covered Plains -> Temple Garden
~ Snow-Covered Forrest -> Taiga (Revised)
~ x1 Forest -> Savannah (Revised)
~ Vivid Crag -> Rupture Spire

To go over some of the swaps. Red Akroma just wasn't doing anything for me. Didn't have haste, was the only morpher in the deck, Baneslayer Angel is strictly better in my playgroup and came down enough in price for me to purchase a copy. Blazing Archon has been on my wishlist for a while and I eventually found the right card to cut for it. Flameblast Dragon is my favorite Naya fatty, but Blazing Archon doesn't have to untap to be awesome. :P I took out the underwhelming Lava Burst for a more threatening Rampaging Baloths and haven't looked back!

The Blitz and the Boots were cut for some more card draw. Garruk's Packleader has a lot of promise and while I don't like saccing my own creatures, Greater Goodis nuts with Primeval Titan/Avenger of Zendikar combo in play or a few turns of Vigor. I really don't like the "discard 3 cards" part... would Momentous Fall or Soul's Majesty be better options or have I just not played with it enough to 'see the light'?

In the sorcery/instant removal department, Chain Reaction got the axe for Akroma's Vengeance which sweeps and deals with Mind Control and Debtors' Knell. If someone creates a tokens deck, I might throw the Chain Reaction back in. With a 2nd mass artifact/enchantment removal spell, I cut Ancient Grudge and Pure // Simple for some much needed instant-speed spot removal. Condemn and Plowshares are fantastic and desperately needed. Sylvan Scrying is not as necessary now that I have Primeval Titan and Wood Elves, so I had been testing out Saltblast and eventually went for granddaddy Desert Twister. The ability to spot remove any permanent (especially Planeswalkers or land) is just what I need.

I finally gave in and swapped out Wild Pair for Lurking Predators. I'm also trying out an odd little card from Judgment (Unquestioned Authority) to see if it is gimmicky enough to be useful... if not, Where Ancients Tread is going back in.

The best has been saved for last though. I mustered up enough for two minty Revised Dual lands (Taiga and Savannah), the third Ravnica dual (Temple Garden) and made the swap for Rupture Spire. The mana base is pretty much exactly where I want it. The only lands I would add in later are Plateau, Wooded Foothills, Windswept Heath, and Strip Mine. There have been a number of games where I think I am really short on mana... but I don't think I want to cut anything for one more land card. Would Keeper of Progenitus be a worthwhile addition? Or will that end up dying like "Howling Mine" syndrome :?

*edit*
Made 3 small changes after much deliberation.
~ Arashi, the Sky Asunder -> Stonecloaker
~ Novablast Wurm -> Flametongue Kavu
~ Unquestioned Authority -> Night Soil

The addition of Akroma's Vengeance made the need for Arashi redundant. I'd rather have a better utility creature than a 5/5 which I'm sad to draw and sadder to see put into play by Lurking Predators. Stonecloaker lets me target specific graveyard shenanigans (like Time Stretch) for little mana and it has a built in "Buy Back". I'm sad to see Novablast Wurm go as it's one of my pet cards. It's been bribery'd one too many times and I think Flametongue Kavu fits into the strategy of the deck more than killing my own creatures. I've known about Night Soil for some time and I think it completes the 'yard hate package of the deck.

~ Rhys the Redeemed - Tokens... Why do they keep coming!?
~ Bosh, Iron Golem - Legend of the Iron Giants
~ Damia, Sage of Stone - All Creatures Great & Small

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Oct-31 2:12 pm 

Been a long time since I last bumped this thread. There's been a slew of tweaks and improvements and I think the deck is right where I want it: well-rounded.

Meglonoth --> Engulfing Slagwurm
Sakura-Tribe Elder --> Weathered Wayfarer
Breath of Life --> Kor Haven
Rupture Spire --> Skarrg, the Rage Pits
Sylvan Library --> Hunter's Insight
Idyllic Tutor --> Worldly Tutor
Sterling Grove --> Wurmcoil Engine
Skarrg, the Rage Pits --> Kessig Wolf Run
Grab the Reins --> Sword of Feast and Famine
Cloudthresher --> Vagrant Plowbeasts

Added some powerhouse cards replacing either redundant or weaker cards (for my current meta, at least). Long gone is the enchantment sub-theme of the deck, so Idyllic Tutor makes way for Worldly Tutor.

Last edited by TheDoctor on 2011-Nov-01 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Nov-01 3:06 am 

TheDoctor wrote:

Ummmm...?

Vorel of the Hull Clade - Abusing counters for fun and profit

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Nov-01 11:48 am 

Malekoda wrote:

Yup. Ended up moving from Rupture Spire to Kessig Wolf Run since the last update for that land slot. I wanted a trample giver since adding the Dual Lands meant Rupture Spire was too slow, and Kessig Wolf Run just happened to be better than Skarrg. The above update covers the better part of a year and Inistrad is only the most recent thing :wink:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Nov-01 1:58 pm 

TheDoctor wrote:
I decide what is best to go in there (either a replacement Kite or a Saltblast).

If you're considering Saltblast, consider Bramblecrush too. They are both slightly situational cards, but which one is better will depend on your meta. Heck, if you like spot removal (like I do) then maybe there's room for both.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Nov-01 4:17 pm 

Magnetic North wrote:
TheDoctor wrote:
I decide what is best to go in there (either a replacement Kite or a Saltblast).

If you're considering Saltblast, consider Bramblecrush too. They are both slightly situational cards, but which one is better will depend on your meta. Heck, if you like spot removal (like I do) then maybe there's room for both.

This was a while ago, but I ended up settling on Beast Within (when it was actually printed): Vindicate in green at instant speed with minimal drawback. Thankfully my playgroup doesn't use planewalkers (or if they do I haven't seen them yet) so Akroma's Vengeance and Austere Command are all-star sweepers.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jan-22 5:46 pm 

Medium-sized update for the New Year.

Boros Garrison --> Strip Mine
Gruul Turf --> Tectonic Edge
Selesnya Sanctuary --> Miren, the Moaning Well
Whispersilk Cloak -->Trailblazer's Boots
Blazing Archon --> Balefire Dragon

Fairly straight forward on the choices. Blazing Archon is one of those creatures that just seemed to "have to be" in every Mayael list. Switching it out for Balefire Dragon to see how it works out. I've been flipflopping between Boots and Cloak since the deck was first built. Right now I'm back at non-basic landwalk over shroud... in a few months I'll be back using Cloak.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jan-23 1:42 am 

disagree with removing Pure // Simple. It's a sweeper of equipment, which everyone uses, and for occasional Uril or Zur decks and it's spot removal for most generals.

deck needs Marshal's Anthem. This has been great. I usually get 2 or more creatures back when I cast it.

Flameblast Dragon should go back in. I've won several games just with him. He's a great finisher, especially with greaves, people don't often expect direct damage from Mayael.

Recommend Warstorm Surge instead of Where Ancients Tread. Combos very well with Stonecloaker who by the way has been amazing in my experience.

Hope you took out desert twister for beast within.

Grats on getting the duals. Wish I could afford them.

Here's my decklist http://mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1178&start=1020
You have to scroll down about half way through page 69. Not sure how to make a link to that specific spot on the page.

Mayael the Anima

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jan-24 4:34 am 

Here you go Celerus:
viewtopic.php?p=114973#p114973

In the post there is a little piece of text right under the post subject that says "by Celerus", to the left of that you see an icon, that's the shortcut to the post itself.

I dance all night and I sleep all day

3 Steps Ahead - I'm A Gabber

Automatically add card tags to the card names in any text:
http://manabase.com/autocard.php

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jan-24 11:10 am 

Thanks pi.

http://mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?p=118581#p118581

:)

Mayael the Anima

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jan-26 5:24 pm 

Have you thought about using Scroll Rack? Its ability seems like it would synergize rather well with Mayael's ability.

Commanders:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jan-26 8:23 pm 

Jord-Tron 5000 wrote:
Have you thought about using Scroll Rack? Its ability seems like it would synergize rather well with Mayael's ability.

If it weren't so expensive to get/trade for then yeah. The land-base is pretty solid and the creatures are pretty solid, so adjusting the removal and synergy is the next logical step

I'm very happy with how the deck is. There are other decks that need my attention at the moment. :roll:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-May-19 4:26 pm 

Some more tweaks to the deck, now with a meta game!

Hunter's Insight --> Sylvan Library
Cultivate --> Recross the Paths
Twilight Shepherd --> Angelic Arbiter
Rith, the Awakener --> Patron of the Kitsune

It makes me sad to cut Rith and Shepherd. I've had them in the deck since day one, but the Shepherd has always underperformed and Rith surprisingly never got cast... at all. The odds of never hitting a single card just happen to mean axing Rith. :facepalm:

The meta game near me is very "Tokenz" heavy with at least 3 other token decks, which prompted the inclusion of Patron of the Kitsune.... a card which I'm fairly sure no one knew existed. Passively gaining some life is good times and I can't wait for it to land on a field with 10 or more tokens present. To replace the Shepherd which made a better flying fattie than utility creature, Angelic Arbiter comes into the fold. Her ability is completely relevant with the amount of control and synergy going around... either you're gonna synergize up your turn or you'll be attacking, not both.

The other swaps are more about me trying out new/old stuff out than anything else. Although, I did acquire a Gisela, Blade of Goldnight ... which may bump Mossbridge Troll off the list in a future update (which is a shame because it's a crowd favorite :( ).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-May-06 8:09 am 

It's been quite a while since I tallied up the changes to my favorite EDH deck :) There's a lot of new fatties and utility since Avacyn Restores and my playgroup meta has changed quite a bit.

Godsire --> Sylvan Primordial
Mossbridge Troll --> Worldspine Wurm
Patron of the Kitsune --> Utvara Hellkite
Primal Command --> Scroll Rack
Loxodon Warhammer --> Illusionist's Bracers
Trailblazer's Boots --> Jungle Shrine
Reliquary Tower --> Slayers' Stronghold

Sylvan Primordial might as well be Primeval Titan in terms of power, but it's much more useful. In fact, there hasn't been a situation where I wished it were Prime Time. Scroll Rack finally comes in with newbie Illusionist's Bracers to try and help with transitioning this deck from "not relying on Mayael" to "definitely utilizing Mayael".

On the horizon I see wanting to take out Avacyn. As much as I love me some indestructible dudes, she isn't really pulling me forward in a game when I only have one dude out. Gisela has been waiting in the wings, and so she might be swapped in eventually. Gatecrash and Dragon's Maze brought some interesting new cards... Ruric Thar being the most talked about. Giant Adephage, Boros Battleshaper, and the new Borborygmos are also not too shabby. I can see Academy Rector (as much as I love her) coming out for Fires of Yavimaya and maybe making the switch from my lovely Unlimited Regrowth to an Eternal Witness to replace the body.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-May-06 9:31 am 

I took out Sylvan Primordial. Too often you have to destroy someone's lands. Plus, I already have Terastodon and Woodfall Primus.

Giesla is a great finisher. I'd find room for her. She could replace Blazing Archon since she cuts damage in half.

I've had Giant Adephage for a while but I've yet to make any copies of itself.

Boros Battleshaper is the only card I'm trying out from Dragon's Maze so far.

I might try Ruric Thar. I just don't like that the damage isn't optional or to opponents only.

E-witness for regrowth. Yes.

I've been trying out Fires of Yavimaya. I like it so far.

Mayael the Anima

Offline Profile