Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-13 5:31 pm

Post subject: Anax-Cymede Enchantments
AgePosted: 2014-May-11 12:46 pm 

After a fellow player made an instant/sorcery-based Anax and Cymede deck revolving around scary strikers (double strikers, that is), I felt inspired to make my own Anax and Cymede deck revolving around enchantments instead. I still play fairly casually, so the deck isn't meant to be hyper-aggressive. Also, I got bored in the middle of posting this, so I don't have a lot of commentary currently.

Commander:
Anax and Cymede

MOST RECENT CHANGE:
- Call for Unity
+ Smothering Tithe

Last edited by Segrus on 2019-Jun-29 9:51 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Anax-Cymede Enchantments
AgePosted: 2014-May-11 8:34 pm 

Tallowisp is good to fish out your enchant creature cards. You just need to use spirits and arcane spells. Plenty of decent spirit and arcane cards that are good on their own. Kami of ancient law, keening apparition, blinking spirit , and Shining shoal. You could even use a high costed enchant creature card to shining shoal some serious damage back at players.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-May-11 9:54 pm 

Seck wrote:
Tallowisp is good to fish out your enchant creature cards. You just need to use spirits and arcane spells. Plenty of decent spirit and arcane cards that are good on their own. Kami of ancient law, keening apparition, blinking spirit , and Shining shoal. You could even use a high costed enchant creature card to shining shoal some serious damage back at players.

Thanks for responding. I agree, Tallowisp would be a pretty good card to draw out the enchant-auras in the deck; however, I don't think it would be good at the cost of removing the cards I already have. To properly fit Tallowisp in, I would probably need to look at switching out between 6-10 cards in some combination of creatures (to make room for spirits) and enchantments/instants/sorceries (to make room for arcane spells). After looking through the available arcane cards, most of them are really only great when in multiples to take full advantage of the splice mechanic. I could, on the other hand, change some of my creatures to spirits...but I'm not convinced enough of them add to the rest of the deck. What I mean is although more spirits help out the Tallowisp ability, not a whole lot of them are great on their own or great without Tallowisp. Eidolon of Countless Battles is one I need to get, and Hopeful Eidolon *might* be okay--there are better cards than Hopeful Eidolon though. The ones you listed aren't really that great: Seal of Cleansing trumps the first two solid; Blinking Spirit is a cool repeated effect for Tallowisp, but I'd much rather spend all of my mana blinking an enchantment; Shining Shoal in this deck has the unique problem of making mana really hard (because of the number of bigger cards I'd have to include to make the Shoal work, I'd have to include more artifact ramp to keep up with the mana to cast those bigger cards (since I'm not always going to draw the Shoal, and even if I do I'll naturally draw into all of the big cards which never got exiled by the Shoal), and this is a lot of extra slots just for a single card).

In essence, Tallowisp is interesting, but my conclusion is it takes way too many cards to be worth the addition.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-May-12 12:29 am 

The duel deck version of Sun Titan looks like a hero, it's a good way to get some double duty from your aura's. That, together with Umbra Mystic. Together with the Frontline Medic you already found should make it pretty hard to deal with your creatures in the combat step. Iroas, God of Victory would only add to that...

You could look at Oblation for card draw or deicide (the concept, not the card).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-May-12 1:19 am 

Scroll Rack goes too well with Land tax to ignore.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-May-12 4:51 am 

green slime wrote:
Scroll Rack goes too well with Land tax to ignore.

It really does...
...hmm...my Melek deck has been sporting the only legitimate one I own...it might be time to time to consider stealing it. I'll think about what space I want to make for it.
Shabbaman wrote:
The duel deck version of Sun Titan looks like a hero, it's a good way to get some double duty from your aura's. That, together with Umbra Mystic. Together with the Frontline Medic you already found should make it pretty hard to deal with your creatures in the combat step.
You could look at Oblation for card draw or deicide (the concept, not the card).

Sun Titan would probably be good, it's just my concern is the relatively high casting cost. True Conviction and Gleam of Battle are actually very new additions, and I was wary about putting them in. I just don't want to set myself up for disaster--Boros decks which get too mana hungry (previous Aurelia and Goldnight decks I've built come to mind) eat themselves.

Umbra Mystic is an oversight on my part. I think I might have one lying around, but it might be one I have to buy alongside Eidolon of Countless Battles.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-May-12 6:55 am 

IF 6 cmc is too much, there's other enchantment recursion you could look at. Replenish and Retether could be game-enders.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Aug-18 11:00 am 

While I'm not particularly making changes based on previous discussion, these are changes which don't require any additional money (and therefore the preferred option at the moment):

-Akroan Crusader..............................2 x Plains
-Arena Athlete.................................2 x Mountain
-Celestial Ancient
-Shackles

These haven't been up to snuff. Celestial Ancient should be good, but normally it ends up being win-more. Shackles costs too much mana. Crusader's and Athlete's abilities aren't worth it. More lands are important, I've been finding.

-Skybind..........................................Sun Titan
-Dawnbringer Charioteers....................Marton Stromgald
-Nightbird's Clutches..........................Outmaneuver
-Anoint............................................Spirit Bonds
-Legion Loyalist.................................God-Favored General
-Armillary Sphere...............................Markov Blademaster
-Leering Emblem................................Ghostblade Eidolon
-Panic Attack...................................Rest in Peace

I am putting Sun Titan in to help recover some. Rest in Peace seems obvious, since I don't have anything against graveyard-based decks currently. Markov and Ghostblade increase my double strike cards, which are really good for this deck. God-Favored General should help to activate enchantment triggers more. Outmaneuver and Marton support the deck, and I think they'll do better than what I'm taking out. I got a Spirit Bonds just for this deck--the tokens are useful, and the extra indestructible should be great.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Aug-18 3:19 pm 

Segrus wrote:
Markov and Ghostblade increase my double strike cards, which are really good for this deck.

Silverblade Paladin is always a great choice for double strike. the new Battle Mastery is an option too.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Aug-18 10:40 pm 

Wolfram wrote:
Segrus wrote:
Markov and Ghostblade increase my double strike cards, which are really good for this deck.

Silverblade Paladin is always a great choice for double strike. the new Battle Mastery is an option too.

Well, Battle Mastery isn't exactly new, but I should try looking for one again. I may still have a Lorwyn copy, since I didn't get virtually anything from M15. Silverblade Paladin is one of those cards I happen to have probably three or four copies of...and yet, I don't have a single one available currently. There might be one in a 60-card deck, so I'll have to check.

That's just an explanation of why there isn't either of those on this list already.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-May-17 1:28 pm 

- Rapacious One
- Ghostblade Eidolon
- Hanweir Militia Captain

+ Tiana, Ship's Caretaker
+ Danitha Capashen, Paragon
+ Valduk, Keeper of the Flame

It's been a long time since this deck has gotten a proper update, but that doesn't mean this deck is at all neglected. Honestly, this is one of my favorite decks to play since it builds on the enchantment theme from an unexpected direction, making this Boros deck the little engine that could. I've taken on a table of five other players--one of them piloting one of my more solid decks--and come out the victor. So it's about time I pull in some of the newer cards and add them to this project.

Hanweir Militia Captain never felt like she pulled her own weight. I was once excited for the additional token support, but she just never really stuck around to do that (or only provided a single token). I'm hoping that Valduk will do much better.

Ghostblade Eidolon will be a much more controversial pick. But the thing is, while lots of people really enjoy double strike effects in Anax/Cymede decks, this deck is aiming to be slower. I'm not looking to take out opponents literally as quickly as possible; however, I'm looking to build advantage over time, then take my opponents by surprise when I recover much quicker than they realized. In the end, I just never find myself playing Ghostblade. The times I do play Ghostblade is typically when I have nothing else better to play. I'm hoping Danitha proves to have a greater effect by reducing the cost of the 14 auras I have in the deck.

Rapacious One's removal actually hurts the most. I may bring Rapacious One back in sometime. The threat Rapacious One provides is immense--not only is it a strong creature in its own right, it also has natural trample, creates tokens to pump later, and in a pinch generates tons of mana. But Tiana might do something a little more important: recur those very precious enchantments. The deck can't run without enchantments. This should be a welcome addition to help survive into the late game.

ADDENDUM: also, apparently this list is WAY behind. I've updated a whole ton of things in this list, so everything is practically brand new.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-May-18 6:34 am 

Wow- this deck is pretty awesome! :D

I might recommend Temple Bell and Outpost Siege to assist with acceleration or consistency issues- and Myth Realized for on-theme pressure.

Defender
Wall of chat exceeds at using a lot of words to mischaracterize opposing view points.

Warp Riders (Ephara Solar Flare)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-May-19 12:29 am 

Mr Degradation wrote:
Wow- this deck is pretty awesome! :D

I might recommend Temple Bell and Outpost Siege to assist with acceleration or consistency issues- and Myth Realized for on-theme pressure.

Thank you! I'm glad you like it. It's quite an old deck, so I didn't entirely expect anybody would be interested. That and Anax and Cymede isn't a popular commander by any means. Boros colors and I go way back though, and I've always kept at least one Boros deck (currently have two, but Firesong will likely change that at some point to become three). This one is easily the best one.

Temple Bell and Outpost Siege are both cards I've considered throughout the building of this deck. Card draw in Boros is particularly important, because it really needs so much more gas than a lot of other decks do to keep in the game. Currently I have five strong card draw effects in the deck: three enchantress effects, Skullclamp, and Sage's Reverie. All of the enchantresses are searchable via Recruiter of the Guard. They are strong enough effects in the this deck that Temple Bell ends up being pretty weak overall.

Outpost Siege ends up being a bit trickier. Both the Khans and the Dragons options are decent, because I do end up seeing a lot of creatures leave the battlefield. However, card draw effects are the only thing vital to this deck: recursion. Before I included Tiana, there were three recursion effects in the deck: Sun Titan, Starfield of Nyx, and Retether. When it came down to considering Outpost Siege, it doesn't have a true draw effect and Retether (same CMC) ends up being a much more important effect. Now that I have another recursion effect for Auras, Outpost Siege is probably very unlikely to be included.

Myth Realized was actually in the deck for a long time. In the course of playing the deck and figuring out what to include to and what to get rid of, it became clear that having more token generation was key to success. Myth Realized ended up on the chopping block to include more. It's a good card and fits in very nicely with an instant/sorcery version of Anax/Cymede, but not here. Myth Realized did make it into my 1CMC Daxos deck though.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-29 7:58 pm 

Is this deck still active? Have you made any updates?

I'm thinking of returning to Anax & Cymede since my meta decided that Feather was unfun to play against. :oops:

Is there anything new you've thought of?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-29 9:50 pm 

Isabelle wrote:
Is this deck still active? Have you made any updates?

I'm thinking of returning to Anax & Cymede since my meta decided that Feather was unfun to play against. :oops:

Is there anything new you've thought of?

You know, when I got up this morning I was not remotely expecting somebody would be asking about this deck, but I'm glad you did.

Yes, the deck is still active. Yes, I have made an update, yet only a slight one. I'm sorry your meta isn't too happy about Feather--I have a Feather deck myself, and although I haven't gotten a chance to try it out yet I really want to at some point. I recently obtained Aria of Flame and hope to find a place for it.

In any case, my very slight update (which I'll edit in the original post) is removing Call for Unity and adding Smothering Tithe. Once Smothering Tithe was revealed awhile back, I snagged about ten of them before the price went up, and I knew one would make it into this deck. The question came down to "where?" and Call for Unity was the most underperforming card in the deck. With as often as things get destroyed in this deck Call for Unity should be getting me a reasonable power boost; unfortunately, I'd just never get around to playing it (in favor of stronger moves for similar mana), or it'd be overkill. Too expensive to be an Honor of the Pure, too weak to be Eldrazi Monument (which...maybe I should try out sometime).

The thing is I like the deck where it currently stands. It could probably always be a little more tuned--I still have never gotten my hands on Flickering Ward or Mark of Fury, and Divine Visitation is arguably quite juicy (I would consider Gratuitous Violence or Mastery of the Unseen in this case)--but despite this it always plays out very well for me. It just keeps surviving when people think it should have been dead already. It's a deck I'll honestly never take apart.

There's always the problem of meta power level, of course, so I won't be able to help you there as much. Due to my current situation, there are some new commanders I have never played against and I don't regularly play against the power level of decks I used to when I first conceived of this build. It'll obviously never make cEDH level of power, but I also don't think this is well-tuned for the power level just below that. For the...for lack of a better term 75% level and below I think it should do fine.

I'm happy to hear any other thoughts or questions you might have. This is probably my favorite deck to play and I'll gladly listen to criticisms about it.

Offline Profile