Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-18 5:29 am

Post subject: Zedruu the Greathearted-- Group Pickpocket
AgePosted: 2011-Jun-10 9:36 am 

This was a lot harder to put together than I thought it would be. I used the WUR precon decklist and the other thread as inspiration, but even taking out the obvious bad ones there's just a TON of ways you can take this deck concept. My own theory was, "you're trying to draw a ton of cards and gain a ton of life, so let's make that work for you." Suggestions, as always, welcome.

Note on the name: My Intet deck, which has a lot of symmetric effects which it breaks by having bigger, uglier stuff to sneak in, is what I call "Group Hug With Spikes"-- you can see it coming a mile away, and adjust accordingly. I call this deck "Group Pickpocket" because I am giving away all sorts of goodies, so people are pleased to get the hug... and then, once you're a couple of blocks away, they notice their wallet is missing, and you are richer in cards and life. (Ideally, anyway; the other possibility is that you get caught in the act and have the Combo Cops called on you. We'll see how it works in practice.)

GENERAL
1 Zedruu the Greathearted

DONATE EFFECTS/SELF-DONATORS
2 Bazaar Trader
4 Puca’s Mischief
5 Confusion in the Ranks
6 Vedalken Plotter
7 Custody Battle
8 Avarice Totem
9 Risky Move
10 Starke of Rath
11 Chromeshell Crab
12 Gilded Drake
13 Cultural Exchange
14 Spawnbroker
15 Juxtapose
17 Illicit Auction
18 Reins of Power

GOOD STUFF BROKERAGE
19 Nin, the Pain Artist
20 Dominus of Fealty
22 Pentavus
23 Meloku the Clouded Mirror
24 Wild Research
25 Chamber of Manipulation
26 Martial Coup
27 Venser, the Sojourner
28 Minds Aglow

NEUTRAL STUFF
29 Oblivion Ring
30 Arrest
31Wild Evocation
32 Braids, Conjurer Adept
33 Noble Benefactor
34 Faith’s Fetters
35 Enlightened Tutor
36 Oath of Lieges

BOOBY PRIZES
37 Illusions of Grandeur
38 Form of the Dragon
39 Taniwha
40 Thought Lash
41 Jinxed Idol

ACTUALLY WINNING
3 Lightning Greaves
16Intuition
42 Test of Endurance
43 Insurrection
44 Rite of Replication
45 Psychosis Crawler
46 Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind
47 Austere Command
48 Akroma’s Vengeance
49 Path to Exile
50 Swords to Plowshares
51 Felidar Sovereign
52 Return to Dust
53 Storm Herd
54 Propaganda
55 Ghostly Prison
56 Vow of Duty
57 Sun Titan
58 Rhystic Study
59 Brion Stoutarm

MANA
60 Mana Flare
61 Boros Signet
62 Izzet Signet
63 Sol Ring

LANDS
21 Homeward Path
64 Tundra
65 Mystifying Maze
66 Hallowed Fountain
67 Flooded Strand
68 Plateau
69 Sacred Foundry
70 Arid Mesa
71 Volcanic Island
72 Steam Vents
73 Scalding Tarn
74 Command Tower
75 Rainbow Vale
76 Contested War Zone
77 Reliquary Tower
78 High Market
79 Tectonic Edge
80 Ghost Quarter
81 Vesuva
82 Azorius Chancery
83 Izzet Boilerworks
84 Boros Garrison
85 City of Brass
86 Sorrow’s Path (That’s right, I said it. I am that hardcore. Well, what other deck is going to run it?)
87 Forbidden Orchard
88 Tolaria West
89 Rishadan Port
90 Exotic Orchard
91 Reflecting Pool
92-94 Island
95-96 Plains
97 Springjack Pasture
98-100 Mountain

Sedris, the Traitor King: BRAAAAAINS (Zombie Tribal)
Zedruu, Group Pickpocket (Pillowfort Test of Endurance deck. You heard right)
Ghave, Guru of Dumb (Token Control)

gaijinguy wrote:
As for blue- being boring/infuriating by crushing everyone else's fun until it assembles a cheeseball combo is pretty much what it DOES.

Last edited by herodotusjr on 2011-Jun-14 8:55 am, edited 7 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Zedruu the Greathearted-- Group Pickpocket
AgePosted: 2011-Jun-10 9:59 am 

Caged Sun seems odd in a three-color deck. Gauntlet of Power seems odder especially since you're running very few basics.

I think the land traders (Vedalken Plotter, Political Trickery, Shifting Borders) are worth playing because they provide a low-cost way of increase your Zedruu count, in a manner that most sweepers will ignore.

Wild Research looks like fun, considering the number of enchantments you're running.

34 lands seems painfully low, especially considering that three of them are mostly there to give away.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-10 10:55 am 

Blargh. That's what I get for running on autopilot and putting Caged Sun and Gauntlet into this deck, because they are "so good in most of my other decks." Replaced and land count upped, per your suggestion.

I put in the Plotter because he's the only one of those 3 that can HIMSELF contribute to the Zedruu count after his ETB trigger resolves-- I certainly don't have/want enough Arcane Spells to make Shifting Borders worth it. If it turns out stuff keeps getting blown up I might try the other two.

Wild Research... Hm. The enchantment bit is a good point, but I am concerned that I don't have enough instants to make that half of it worthwhile (and I know that even if it's being used JUST for enchantments, it's fine... but my inner Melvin feels bad when half of a card's functionality is ignored). Maybe after I've tested and found a few cards that aren't pulling their weight, I can find a spot for it, but I'm leaving it on the sidelines for now.

gaijinguy wrote:
As for blue- being boring/infuriating by crushing everyone else's fun until it assembles a cheeseball combo is pretty much what it DOES.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-10 1:58 pm 

why include Donate? until your general gets tucked, it does nothing Zedruu can't do.

at least cards like Bazaar Trader and Vedalken Plotter have other uses, like chump blocking or doing the donate tapped out.

trade Donate for a land and you'll be better off I think.

Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker
Harea, Underworld Tinkerer

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-10 7:07 pm 

Avarice Totem with it's "trick" (activate 2x, trade something of yours for something of an opponents) seems like an excellent card in this deck

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-10 11:03 pm 

I second what the humanity wrote above. Donate seems really bad in this deck. I would also reconsider some of the other choices, Fractured Loyalty or Loxodon Peacekeeper could be something better.
Maybe just add some more lands, I still think with the current list is 36 still low on lands.
Or another thing I would add would be a Darksteel Plate, to protect Zedruu or one of your win conditions.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-11 7:51 am 

Good suggestions. Let's see here:

-Donate +Lightning Greaves Seems like a good idea to protect my general, who is going to be pretty unpopular after the first few times he lets me draw/lifegain.
-Fractured Loyalty + Custody Battle Went back and forth with these two in the initial decklist, and I think I chose the wrong one-- FL lets the creature potentially change hands MORE often, but CB ensures that it will happen at all. If people choose to eat lands to keep their creature, that is of course their prerogative.
-Loxodon Peacekeeper + Avarice Totem Heh. Forgot about this one. Seems pretty good in a political deck, right? Peacekeeper, upon further reflection, seems to suffer from the same problem as Fractured Loyalty-- too hard to ensure that he WILL change control-- so out he goes.

Still a bit iffy on what to take out to make room for Wild Research and/or another land. (If I do add another land it will be Miren, the Moaning Well, for additional group hug goodness.) Blue Braids and Master Warcraft are on the chopping block-- I don't know if the former will end up blowing me out too much in my meta, and I've never gotten the latter to work right for me-- but I want to actually play the deck before I make any decisions on that.

gaijinguy wrote:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-11 10:27 am 

I mentioned this in the brainstorming thread in the Strategy forum, but Celestial Dawn donated to a player without a white General prevents them from ever playing colored spells again. Just a thought.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-11 11:11 am 

TheAardvark wrote:
I mentioned this in the brainstorming thread in the Strategy forum, but Celestial Dawn donated to a player without a white General prevents them from ever playing colored spells again. Just a thought.

For me, this falls under "too mean to be fun for me, let alone the person receiving it".

Hazezon Tamar - Tokens!
Nicol Bolas - Creatureless!
Kresh, the Bloodbraided - Red Zone Aggression!
Teneb, the Harvester - Graveyard!
Sharuum the Hegemon - Artifacts!
Experiment Kraj - +1/+1 counters!
Jaya Ballard, Task Mage - Big Red!
Oros, the Avenger - Stuff!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-12 6:39 am 

TheAardvark wrote:

To be fair, they can still run colourless removal for the combo. Spine of Ish Sah, Nevinyral's Disk, Oblivion Stone, All is Dust, and a handful of other cards(all of the above the deck in question should be playing anyway as they also answer Iona, Shield of Emeria).

Plus, C-Dawn helps to immensely help the player with white mana fix for eternity so it's certainly not gonna work in that particular match-up.

Just something to think about.

MTG: Commander (I play Mardu and Mardu Accessories)

Alesha, Who Smiles at Death [Duel-Commander]
Kaalia of the Vast [Traditional 1v1 Primer]
Drana, Liberator of Malakir [Sui Black]
Zurgo Bellstriker [AiR]

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-12 1:14 pm 

Hey, have you run this on Cockatrice yet? I built my own version there and tested a couple games with it. It's a lot of fun, but I feel like I need more win conditions. Right now I'm pretty much just counting on Test of Endurance, Felidar Sovereign, Tidespout Tyrant, Illusions of Grandeur, and Lich's Tomb. Tidespout Tyrant and Rite of Replication are good too, but despite Zedruu's awesome card draw I haven't seen either of them yet. Sun Titan is pretty awesome in the deck, but doesn't quite win the game outright until it's down to 1v1.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-12 3:33 pm 

Alas, I haven't tested it yet. I was going to build what I could of it tonight and wait for Commander to be added to the Oracle tool to try it out... has this happened, and I'm not aware of it? If so, exciting! If not, I assume you just custom-built the cards on the deck editor?

Good to know about the win condition issue-- that was a concern of mine when building this. I'm going to see if I have similar experiences and go from there. (Tidespout Tyrant was a near miss in the above; I may yet rejigger it if the Test of Endurance route doesn't work out.)

gaijinguy wrote:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-12 7:50 pm 

Cervid wrote:
For me, this falls under "too mean to be fun for me, let alone the person receiving it".

It's borderline for me. I mean, it's dickish, but at the same time there is a decent number of colorless ways to remove it, and in more political environments, you might have an ally kill it for you, or just have someone else Disk/O-Stone/Dust it away.

3drinks wrote:
To be fair, they can still run colourless removal for the combo. Spine of Ish Sah, Nevinyral's Disk, Oblivion Stone, All is Dust, and a handful of other cards(all of the above the deck in question should be playing anyway as they also answer Iona, Shield of Emeria).

Agreed, but it doesn't always work like that. I have seen plenty of decks that run at most 1-2 of those, and plenty of decks that run 0-1.

3drinks wrote:
Plus, C-Dawn helps to immensely help the player with white mana fix for eternity so it's certainly not gonna work in that particular match-up.

Sure, which is why I specifically mentioned donating it to those who are NOT running white. At most tables of 4-5, you're going to see someone who isn't running white; I've never seen it otherwise, honestly.

But yeah. I wasn't suggesting it as instant win or anything, just something that a lot of decks just won't be able to answer immediately/in time.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-13 7:00 am 

OK! Still haven't played this against actual people, but have gotten an opportunity to goldfish and can see some problems even from that. Foremost of which is not being able to get my win conditions when I need them. So!

-Preacher +Wild Research Preacher is cute, but not good. Wild Research is perhaps not 'good', but it at least theoretically gets me toolbox cards. Fine.
-Prison Term +Enlightened Tutor It occurred to me that if I gave away Prison Term, they could use it to put on MY creatures. Not an optimal scenario. Pope Tutor, conversely, grabs me Lightning Greaves and relevant enchantments (including Form of the Dragon and Thought Lash in the endgame), which IS an optimal scenario.
-Hunted Phantasm +Homeward Path I could have sworn I put this in there already... oh well, I needed to add a land to this build anyway. Phantasm is another card that is cute but does not do what it needs to.
-Suture Priest +Return to Dust I said to myself, "Self, if you have Confusion in the Ranks out and no way to get rid of it on your own turn, you could become victim to someone else stealing Zedruu and then blowing up Confusion. You should have a way to spot-remove enchantments." "You're right, but even better than spot-removal is 2-for-1 spot removal. Return to Dust it is." "We are so smart." "Aww, you're making us blush."
-Alliance of Arms +Martial Coup Without Suture Priest shenanigans I have no reason to give my opponents soldiers. I DO like having soldiers myself, though, especially when they come with board wipes.
-Vow of Lightning +Sun Titan Wow, THAT is a good card for this deck. All sorts of >3 CMC things to recur in this build. Even if I'm just recurring a Fetch every turn I'm getting good value.
-Thieves' Auction +Intuition I love Intuition, but I can't afford the paper card so I always forget it exists. Since I'll be mostly playing the optimized version of this on Cockatrice, that's not a problem, so in it goes. I replaced Thieves' Auction because everyone hates that card online; I'll probably still play it in the paper version of this deck.

gaijinguy wrote:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-13 7:22 am 

I agree on the win condition thing, I've noticed sans Illusions of Grandeur, I don't have much other than beating with dudes and titans. And planeswalkers. So I added Time Stretch + Izzet Chronarch...because when Venser, the Sojourner blinks Izzet Chronarch, it's gonna loop Time Stretch and infinite number of times.

Yes, I've become "that dirty combo player" but lol, it's in a fun way, playing donate is so win.

edit: Here's my list, if you want to take a look. http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?t=330041

MTG: Commander (I play Mardu and Mardu Accessories)

Alesha, Who Smiles at Death [Duel-Commander]
Kaalia of the Vast [Traditional 1v1 Primer]
Drana, Liberator of Malakir [Sui Black]
Zurgo Bellstriker [AiR]

Offline Profile