Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-21 10:28 am

Post subject: Re: Hello; My name is Bringer of the _______ Dawn. Why you Hate?
AgePosted: 2012-Mar-03 3:23 pm 

edit: Rant deleted. My B, you guys.

Last edited by oscillating on 2012-Mar-03 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Mar-03 8:30 pm 

oscillating wrote:
Did I not fucking say this is what was going to happen?

The internet is impossible.

There's a couple here that are alright, just. Man. The vast majority are not.

Get your act together mtgcommander.net. You're making yourselves look BAD.

I'm not all that smart but I think this could be considered ironic?

That's not ban-worthy, that's the spirit of EDH. Three-card combo involving the combat phase? Awesome.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Mar-07 7:05 am 

CanadianCole wrote:
Hey Community.

Our local playgroup has run into the question of "Should the Bringer only be allowed in 5 color decks?" The Reasoning:

Each bringer has a "color" determined affect so to speak, The blue one gives card draw, the white one recurrs artifacts, the black one tutors, the red one borrows creatures and gives them haste, and the green one makes tokens.

So if each of the bringers seems to lend itself purely to one of the five colors, why can't they be used in decks running their primary color?.

Bringer of the White Dawn
Bringer of the Black Dawn
Bringer of the Blue Dawn
Bringer of the Green Dawn
Bringer of the Red Dawn

The reason why these poor little runts can't current be used in Mono-2-3-4 color decks, it because they have an "ALTERNATE CASTING COST" ability. This ability doesn't apply to anything they are capable of once they are in play...and has no effect on the game other than if you are playing a 5 color deck you can get a bringer on turn 5 instead of Turn 9 like other decks :P

What do you guys think? My local playgroup is kinda wanting to house rule these guys so they are allowed.

We house rule them to allow them. EDH is about fun. House rulings to keep them fun are what makes it so great. Its odd that you bring up the Bringers since one of my friends had a Bringer of the Blue Dawn in a non-5-color deck and asked if he could use it. We had no problem with it.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Mar-08 9:34 pm 

Moonkeeper wrote:
Its odd that you bring up the Bringers

He brings the bringers. I find this amusing. I'm not sure why.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Sep-14 6:19 pm 

I know this is like, 7 1/2 years since the original posts but this may be viewed from time to time so I figured I'd give my take on why Bringer of the ________ Dawn can't be played in mono/non-5c decks.

The alternate casting cost "You may pay (W)(B)(B)(R)(G) rather than pay Bringer of the ________ Dawn's mana cost." is payable in even a mono-colored commander deck. Although far easier in a mono-green/(x)-green decks, there are many artifacts and creatures that can tap for any color of mana. They are still considered to be colorless or their individual color identity only, they can allow you to cast Bringer of the ________ Dawn for their alternate cost.

Personally, I think that they should just add a clause into the rules stating (specifically for commander) that "A mana source can tap to pay for any color in the card owners commander's identity", which would allow you to still tap for that one color to pay into a cost from a permanent that you have either stolen or has been forcefully given to you. This would also allow the playing of certain cards, such as the Bringer's in non-5c decks while preventing players from using their alternate casting costs and may also allow other cards to be used.

This change in ruling would however not allow you to use creatures with activated abilities outside of your commander's identity. All that this would allow for is the use of creatures that are given an alternate casting cost that causes them to have silly color identities and limit their use.

P.S I'm by no means an expert on rule making and my suggested rule is a little hard to understand but I hope that you were able to understand what I was trying to say.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Sep-15 7:04 am 

Welcome to the foruns!

Fun fact: years ago there was "Rule 4", which stated that if you tapped something for mana of a color outside your color identity it instead tapped for colorless mana. That rule was removed, but it actually strengthened the argument to allow the bringers because you literally COULDN'T cast them for their alternate cost, turning them into a casualty of the color identity rule (hence the thread).

So radically, if I understood correctly, you're asking to bring back rule 4.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Sep-15 8:04 am 

I was going to quibble about the descriptor “years ago”, but it looks like rule 4 got removed in January of 2016, so I guess I’m just old.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Sep-16 12:32 am 

Spectrar Ghost wrote:
I was going to quibble about the descriptor “years ago”, but it looks like rule 4 got removed in January of 2016, so I guess I’m just old.

Lol I know. I still think the tuck change wasn't that long ago either.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Sep-16 1:57 am 

Wow, I was the original author of this thread. It got hijacked by eggheads.

My friends and I just decided not to use the bringers outside a 5 color deck. *shrug*

CCole

Offline Profile