Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Jul-20 10:35 pm

Post subject: No other Legend creatures in a deck?
AgePosted: 2007-Jun-24 12:06 am 

I would say this format is fairly full of flavor, and when I'm building a deck, I just don't feel good about adding other legend creatures in it, as it takes away from the General-ness of my General Legend.

Are there many reasons why it would be a bad idea to include a General-is-the-only-Legend-creature in the deck rule?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: No other Legend creatures in a deck?
AgePosted: 2007-Jun-24 2:57 am 

fAkeality wrote:
I would say this format is fairly full of flavor, and when I'm building a deck, I just don't feel good about adding other legend creatures in it, as it takes away from the General-ness of my General Legend.

Are there many reasons why it would be a bad idea to include a General-is-the-only-Legend-creature in the deck rule?

card pool would be smaller and imho less interesting. general's general-ness is that he can be replayed form rfg zone.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2007-Jun-24 4:19 pm 

I suppose, even though our group hasn't quite found a fair enough cost to resurrect a General. I still don't feel right myself playing with other Legends.

Has anyone came up with a way to play with Haakon?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2007-Jun-30 10:30 pm 

I guess it depends on what your playgroup feels comfortable with; I certainly understand where you are coming from, since it can diminish the coolness of the supertype if you use the rules literally.

In our playgroup we like things pretty casual for the most part, and so when it came to "calling generals" and such, we decided people could make decks with the same generals but just not play them at the same time. But then what about the same legend in your deck? Not everyone carries a sideboard with them, and we tend to want to shuffle up quick and play as we scarf pizza, so pulling out legends from your deck is a pain. We just modified the Legendary state based rule to always default to the General, sort of like if the old Legend rule worked and the General always had first timestamp. And yeah, Generals come back. If they get stolen, we let you pay their mana cost to regain control of them the following turn, they can't get shuffled into your deck, etc.

As for me, I LOVE Legends. Why would I play a slow multiplayer format that forces me to play a wide variety of card names if I didn't get to run awesome stuff? And Legends usually do such cool things. I usually seek them out, especially if they add or fit the flavor of the deck - they can be the Lieutenants and Captains and so Forth, supporting the General.

Last edited by Philatio on 2007-Jul-01 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2007-Jun-30 11:41 pm 

Sorry if I sound like a total noob, but I feel that an army, as I see my deck, has many leaders under the general. There are the soldiers, but they have commanders also. That would be what I would see other legends in my deck. They aren't the grunts, but they are not as high and important as my general. They have purposes, but they are not required for my deck to do what I want it to do.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Generals
AgePosted: 2007-Jul-01 5:11 am 

There's some kind of middle deckbuilding exercise when you discover other people use your General.

Likely the designer of your EDH general

Offline Profile