Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-15 11:17 am

Post subject: Conceding in EDH
AgePosted: 2009-Feb-22 5:27 am 

Hi guys,

Not sure if this is covered in the rules somewhere, or has been discussed before - if so I apologise for re-asking.

Can a player concede in EDH?

The reason I ask is that often a player can use the decision to concede or not as a way of picking which of the players remaining in the game will likely win. An example is:

Player A: "Hey B, Corrupt you for 12, you're dead"
Player B: "Concede while it's on the stack, haha you don't gain life now"
Player A: "Darn I needed that life, now I lose to C's attack"

Another is:

Player A: "Hey B and C, I'm attacking you both for lethal"
Player B: "Concede before blockers, here C, have this creature I Confiscated back"
Player C: "Great, now I can survive the attack, and I'll win on the return swing!"
Player A: "You @*#!"

Many other similar situations are also possible. I think it's quite unsporting to do something like that, but it happens occasionally in our playgroup. I was wondering if there was a rule that prevented this, or if such a rule has been discussed previously.

If there isn't a specific rule, would most people agree that it's unsporting? If so, I might be able to get our playgroup to agree to ban the practice - perhaps allow players to concede only in their main phase, or say that a conceded player and all their permanents remain in play until they are actually dead. Any thoughts?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Feb-22 9:16 am 

You can't stop someone from quitting a game of cards, haha
It is totally allowed by the rules of magic, but I suppose you guys could always make a house rule about it or something.

Also, are you allowed to attack multiple people at once? I can't remember if we house ruled against that one or if it was official.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Feb-22 1:01 pm 

Yes, one can attack multiple players in one attack, barring attack restrictions already placed in whatever variation of multiplayer you are playing (eg. attack left).

Regarding to conceding in that fashion, that would be very lame imo. Never been in these scenarios, players would mostly take the corrupt (and die) or take the dmg from the attack.

However, there are no rules regarding concessions. A player can concede the game at any time.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Feb-22 5:13 pm 

You play with douchebags. There are many ways outside the rules of magic to deal with this: not playing with them, insults, fists, baseball bats, ketchup-soaked pancake fights, etc.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Feb-22 5:18 pm 

An innocent Gasoline fight?

Does the second situation actually happen? I thought that all permanents owned and controlled by a player who leaves the game are RFG'ed?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Feb-22 5:54 pm 

I've seen this sort of shit go down on MODO a lot.
Conceding after a Spelljack, or some other "gain control of" effect.

Apparently people online don't respond well to Bant Charm either....

Xiahou Dun, the One-Eyed; Wort, Boggart Auntie; Jhoira of the Ghitu; Multani, Maro-Sorcerer; Rafiq of the Many; Heartless Hidetsugu; Wort, the Raidmother; Braids, Cabal Minion; Vendillion Clique; Captain Sisay;

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Feb-22 7:49 pm 

latrodectus55 wrote:
I've seen this sort of shit go down on MODO a lot.
Conceding after a Spelljack, or some other "gain control of" effect.

Apparently people online don't respond well to Bant Charm either....

I had thought MODO worked on the rule that basically whenever one's Commander changed zones, one could remove him from the game? Is there some other problem with Bant Charm or have I got incorrect information.

Although as part of the Riftsweeper discussions I'm pretty sure I like that way of handling "on the bottom" effects, although I haven't tried playing that way yet. I'd hope that's not because I don't really care about any of my Generals except Horobi, who's pretty immune to any such shenanigans...

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Feb-22 8:15 pm 

I'd suggest making a house rule that you can only concede during your 1st main phase.

I suggest this because then you still get to see a draw step to possibly pull the game out of a loss. In addition to that it makes it so people can't just quit in the middle of a spell, which if it were my house rules if someone did do that you'd get to either choose new targets for that spell or choose to return that spell to your hand.

Generals:
Karador, Ghost Chieftain
Edric, Spymaster of Trest
Melek, Izzet Paragon
Tajic, Blade of the Legion-in Progress

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Feb-22 8:55 pm 

Conceding in response to a spell or an attack just to screw up the game seems spiteful of the player and really lame imo. I'd lose respect for the conceding player. While players whom I play with concede in response, it is as if the spell resolved or the attack dealt damage. They try to make blocks, if possible, so that the attacking players lose some creatures.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Feb-22 11:25 pm 

I do admit to playing Fire on myself to stop a lethal corupt from resolving, although the corrupt player had like 25 swamps in play and was on 5 with BB, Arena, Seizan and Graveborn in play

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Feb-23 12:30 am 

I think conceding to force a single player to be screwed over is kind of really lame. People play multiplayer for fun its no fun if you get screwed over just so you lose. I would try setting a house rule to make it main phase only concessions if this happens to you alot or I would find a new group to Multiplay with.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Feb-23 12:56 pm 

Personnally I dont see anything wrong with concedeing to mess up someones plans. (to a point)

The example of the corrupt I think is rather poetic, you try to kill me well with my last act of defiance I kill myself leaving you vulnerable.

the confiscate exaple is fine by me aswell. Lets change the scenario a little, if player C (or B cant remember who's who) disenchantes the confiscate and regains controll of his creature to use as a blocker. That doenst change the lethal damage that takes out B. The only diffrence is that B knowing they are toast sees a way for C to survive and to make A pay.

Unfair or unsportsmanlike? No one likes losing, but it seems unsportsmanlike to complain about someone conceding and messing up your plans or preventing you from winning.

If someone is trying to kill you (and succeding) don't you want to make it so they die?

Last edited by Loric on 2009-Feb-23 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Feb-23 1:10 pm 

quick follow up.

4 player game you are at 5 no one is above 10 life. your holding a Molten Disaster. with enough mana to pay the split second & deal 10.

Is it unsportsmanlike to take everyone with you out of the game?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Feb-23 1:30 pm 

Loric wrote:
quick follow up.

4 player game you are at 5 no one is above 10 life. your holding a Molten Disaster. with enough mana to pay the split second & deal 10.

Is it unsportsmanlike to take everyone with you out of the game?

No that is just amazing!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Feb-23 3:48 pm 

Loric wrote:

Been there, done that. Got a long hard stare from the guy that would have won the game.

As for the bigger topic, this sort of thing happens all the time in my playgroup, it's just politics. It usually isn't quite as brutal as 'concede with Corrupt on the stack' but how many games have you been in where a player gets tired of it and makes a bad attack / play just so that another player wins?

Offline Profile