Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-15 11:16 am

Post subject: Child of Alara?
AgePosted: 2009-Feb-25 7:39 am 

Been playing EDH for quite a while, and lurked here for a long while, but haven't felt the need to post until now....

What are your thoughts on Child of Alara? Originally I thought it was a decent general, but in seeing it in action in a deck that really wasn't built to take advantage of it, and it wrecked EVERYONE in a 6 player game.

The problem is, with just a bit of graveyard recursion, no one can get anything accomplished. It becomes something like "Oh, you have 4 or 5 nonland perms? Ok, cast Child of Alara, and a) attack someone so they block and kill it, b) Sac it some how" And everyone gets reset.

I feel it really takes the "fun" out of EDH. And that is with a deck that isn't designed to take advantage of it's ability!

Has anyone else had this problem?

Mark

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Feb-25 7:54 am 

The deck wasn't designed to abuse it, yet they could consistently cast it, let it STAY in the yard to get its ability, and reanimate in later?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Feb-25 7:56 am 

yawg07 wrote:
The deck wasn't designed to abuse it, yet they could consistently cast it, let it STAY in the yard to get its ability, and reanimate in later?

Well, the deck had a FEW things to recurr things from the graveyard, but it wasn't a deck "designed" to do that no....

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Feb-25 8:01 am 

Then why block it? You don't need to block it? Or remove it straight from the game? It is a very cool general, I intent to play it to (already got a foil one :P) because it seems very good, but you need all 5 colors and it's still a creature.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Feb-25 8:03 am 

Poesjuh wrote:
Then why block it? You don't need to block it? Or remove it straight from the game? It is a very cool general, I intent to play it to (already got a foil one :P) because it seems very good, but you need all 5 colors and it's still a creature.

It being a general, it gets to the point where you kind of HAVE to block it....the whole "21 points of general damage" state based effect.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Feb-25 9:08 am 

So run manlands and indestructibles? :)

It would be difficult to get this creature into play earlier than turn 4-ish (not counting a god draw where you get it out turn 1 or 2). Also, with 6 players in the game, if the 5 other people have no removal of any kind for this creature, they might want to reevaluate their decks. This card doesn't strike me as harder than an Erayo general to deal with and he takes a lot more to power out.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Feb-25 9:55 am 

Unlike Erayo, though, Child resets the game, no matter what point it has gotten to.
Erayo just makes sure the game never even accelerates.
It is pretty easy to get to the 5-color mark especially in a deck that has green in it. Even in highlander.

Someone is making a Child of Alara deck in our playgroup right now, and I'm not looking forward to it.
But then again, I play Sharuum and no one likes that either XD
New sets have really produced some powerful generals, haven't they?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Feb-25 12:04 pm 

I can see this being a VERY powerfull General

You have acces to green which gives you the land boost. Everything land survives the lil kid. Add alot of a instants and sorceries:
Bound // Determined (probably the best for this deck)
Diabolic Intent
Fling/Rite of Consumption
Mind Extraction
Mind Swords
Necrosavant
Primal Growth
Scapegoat if you play many creatures
Vicitmize dito
Worthy Cause

of course the sac lands:
High Market
Phyrexian Tower
Diamond Valley
Keldon Necropolis
Miren, the Moaning Well

Combined with powerfull spells, CIP/Leave play creatures, maybe even land destruction this could be a really annoying general.

even things like Burnt Offering, Culling the Weak, Metamorphisis, Sacrifice might work great to fuel a time stretch or something

Teneb, the Harvester
Heartless Hidetsugu
Ob Nixilis, the Fallen
Reaper King
Ruhan of the Fomori
Hanna, Ship's Navigator
Ol
oro, Ageless Ascetic
Roon of the Hidden Realm
Nekusar, the Mindrazer

Sapling of Colfenor
Wrexial, the Risen Deep
Niv-Mizzet the Firemind
Ghost Council of Orzhova
Scion of the Ur-Dragon
Momir Vig, Simic Visionary

Child of Alara
Karrthus, Tyrant of Jund
Rith, the Awakener
Brion Stoutarm
Experiment Kraj
Razia, Boros Archangel
Grand Arbiter Augustin IV
Wort, Bogart Auntie
Kaalia of the Vast
Tariel, Reckoner of Souls

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Feb-25 2:44 pm 

Quote:
I feel it really takes the "fun" out of EDH.

...i bet its tons of fun for who ever plays this general. and besides, when is losing ever fun? ..maybe in EDH everyone should win, but i guess thats not too fun either...hmmm......

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Feb-26 12:34 am 

Everyone NEEDS to remember that this sucker has to GO TO THE YARD to get the ability.
Quite a few folks seem to think that when you remove a general to save it from the graveyard, that it hits the grave FIRST.
It does not.

I really hope this is the general that makes people notice "Oh. DAMN, we should start following this rule"

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Feb-26 12:42 am 

I proxied a Child deck right after the set came out to test, and got to run it in a six player game. It's built to abuse Child as a controllable, repeatable reset button (I must say, Bound is 100% the BEST thing to use with it mid/late game). It's a really powerful deck (recursion, indestructibles, outright powerful cards, etc.), but it can still be beaten just like any other deck.

If I sat down to a table, I'd still be far more afraid of an Arcum, Sharuum, Sasaya, Scion of the Ur-Dragon, and so on. The bog standard "best decks" are still better. It's all a matter of power relative to the table and how they react. If your table lets a Child throw multiple tantrums then yeah, that guy's probably going to win. The same can be said of Teysa/Painter's Servant/Husk combo (which, without my Child deck in the mix, would have killed the table).

Most tables will react in game, and furthermore adjust their decks if certain archetypes get too powerful, so things will balance out in the end.

Decks: Lion King (Rafiq of the Many - Midrange Combo); Uril, the Miststalker (Enchantress Beasts); Saliva (Sliver Overlord - Sliver/Allies); Angry Enchantress (Child of Alara - 5c Enchantments); Nicol Bolas (Reanimator Goodstuff)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Feb-26 12:49 am 

mesti wrote:
If your table lets a Child throw multiple tantrums

Best way I have heard yet to describe this general's ability. Excellent.
"Child is throwing a tantrum, clear the board, guys." "LOL no, stifle that thing!"

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Feb-26 6:05 am 

Perhaps the metagame should shift so that removal in the form of, say, Faith's Fetters should be used instead. Or, just play with a lot more pure RFG effects.

Personally, I don't see the card as being too much of a problem. Good players will probably play it at 7 mana anyway. It just makes for another good choice besides Cromat to play in a 5 color deck.

That being said, I would obviously play this over Cromat. Cromat's abilities were pretty useless anyway, but having a free board sweep is pretty sweet.

Still, the ability isn't all that powerful as you make it to be. The ability is triggered, not activated, so you're not in control unless you actually spend a spell to kill it or have some sacrifice outlet to abuse it; neither of which are very efficient in anyway.

My Intet, the Dreamer Decklist

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Feb-26 8:27 am 

Miren, the Moaning Well?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Feb-26 9:07 am 

http://ww2.wizards.com/gatherer/CardDet ... ?&id=88807

Offline Profile